Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

Harvesting crawdads from streams is an easy way to introduce kids to "the outdoors." Crayfish species in general have a habit of propelling themselves BACKWARDS, away from danger.

So if you swish one hand in front of a crawdad, it will either sit there impassively (in which case you just grab it; some of them are a bit dim-witted in this way), or it will shoot backward, in which case you catch it with your other hand, or with a net that you have stuck into its escape route.

Sometimes they are so plentiful that no bait is required to scoop up crawdad after crawdad. They tend to be more sluggish on hot days and in smaller, shallower, slower streams where the water heats up more quickly. They will laze around under the same small rocks for hours on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
PNW cuisine is also quite eclectic. Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, French and Italian influences are all present (and sometimes fused together) in some variations of PNW dishes. The essence of the cuisine, though, is the opportunistic use of fresh, locally-sourced foodstuffs. So, that Thai dish might have peach chunks instead of mango and the truffles in your omlette Normande might be ones that you found while walking your dog in the open space behind the golf course, but there you are. It came from nearby and you're going to come up with a way to eat it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 AM

81 posts, read 201,697 times
I have a question though. Are the crawdads basically found in the western part of the state closer to the shores, or can they be found throughout the whole state?

Also how are the dungeness crabs caught? Is that something where we'd need a boat to be able to catch them or do you catch them off the shore? Would we need cages to catch them?

Are there Farmers Markets up there also? The wife and myself enjoy getting our produce from local farmers when we can.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Have idea about crawdads due to shellfish allergies.

Crabs: How to Catch Crab on the Oregon Coast

Farmers markets are everywhere.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

81 posts, read 201,697 times
Thank you much for that quick response Metlakatla.
Also I didn't know you could hunt/eat Owls. I'll have to learn how to fish all over again probably.
We basically only have lakes to fish at around here. So stream/river fishing would be new, probably have to learn fly fishing and have no idea what's involved to fish from the Ocean.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingSilvers View Post
I have a question though. Are the crawdads basically found in the western part of the state closer to the shores, or can they be found throughout the whole state?

Also how are the dungeness crabs caught? Is that something where we'd need a boat to be able to catch them or do you catch them off the shore? Would we need cages to catch them?

Are there Farmers Markets up there also? The wife and myself enjoy getting our produce from local farmers when we can.
Some folks use these
Crab and Lobster Catchers for Crabbing - Not Crab Traps - Great for Dungeness Crab, Blue Crab, Box Crab, Stone Crab, Red Rock Crab, Mud Crab, Swimmer Crab and others while crab fishing and lobster fishing. Crab gear and lobster gear that's castable.

There are some good friendly folks on the www.oregonfishingforum.com

Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
After seeing the sniping in another thread about organic foods, I had to put my 2 cents in. I was born in Oregon and have lived here for 63 years.
Have you lived all your life in the Myrtle Creek village?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
Have you lived all your life in the Myrtle Creek village?
No.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 AM

80 posts, read 55,829 times
Sounds like there's a LOT of good things to eat in Oregon, and some fun to be had getting it.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Every year about this time my family heads up to a small lake by Mt Hood that we use as a base for deer hunting.
The lake is chock full of big crawdads.
We have four crawdad traps that were purchased at BiMart.
We use a little bacon for bait, attach a rope and in the evening throw them in the water.
They are retrieved the next day in the early afternoon and we have a huge crawdad boil for dinner.
It's my favorite part of the camp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon