Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM

42 posts, read 163,428 times

Advertisements

Esther,
We live about 15 minutes from KFFE. We are 22 miles from Klamath Falls. You should look at ANY property before you purchase. Confirm distance to the nearest power lines and check well reports for surrounding lots to estimate the cost of obtaining water. Septic approval is subject to a perc test. There are other considerations, but these are a good place to start. Having said that, I can tell you that "snowbound" makes it sound like you'll be buried all winter. Not true. In 11 years, we've never had more than a little over a foot of snow on the ground. It usually snows then melts within a few days. Snow takes longer to melt off in shady areas. We didn't plow our driveway at all this winter, despite what seemed like more snow than usual. Yes, much of this region is rocky. Our property has areas of rock, some in large, dramatic ridges, but most is on or just below the surface. As everywhere, our topsoil varies but most of it is about 5 feet of beautiful, sandy loam. Our garden is productive. There are icky people living in every part of the country. Visit this area and check it out for yourself. Send a DM to me if you want to see an excellent example of what CAN be done with a property in this area. We'll be happy to meet prospective new neighbors and answer questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 75,361 times
Thank you everyone for all the info. I have since let that property go, and got my down payment back! So I'm doing my research for the better area/property. I am looking for off the grid, but not so remote that I get snowed in. And I do want to live off the land growing my own food. I will look into all the suggestions given here. You guys are great!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,993 times
Default A few acres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Hmmmmm........lot prices in that area are absolute rock bottom bargains compared to vacant land in the rest of the county. That should tell you something.

I guess it really depends what your intent for the property is.

As for growing stuff, the native vegetation is going to be a mix of stunted pines, pissifers and rabbit brush.

Two things tend to limit vegetation: lack of soil and lack of water.

This is definitely an area where a buyer really needs to do their due diligence before plunking any cash on the table.
I've been offered a chance to buy a 3.5 acre lot out there for $4,000.
I'm thinking of buying it for a place to camp and ride my ATV. I'm a disabled vet, can't walk. Like to explore on the atv. I'm an old guy that
doesn't race around bothering people. I'm hoping the area is good for atv exploring, maybe hunting?

MSgt Don

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 50,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecenega View Post
I'm thinking of buying it for a place to camp and ride my ATV. I'm a disabled vet, can't walk. Like to explore on the atv. I'm an old guy that
doesn't race around bothering people. I'm hoping the area is good for atv exploring, maybe hunting?

MSgt Don
Yea Don plenty of atv riding right from your property and hunting as well, long cold winters, lots of mud this year. if you want power from the grid be sure to check how far it is from property as it can get quit expensive to put in.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecenega View Post

MSgt Don
Also there are plenty of lots in the "Estates" sub divisions for around $4000 so ya may want to check around a bit as well.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
I wonder what geothermal property might go for... that would heat a greenhouse nicely.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Not much geo thermal out our way Some around Klamath Falls and around Lakeview as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherg4re View Post
Thank you everyone for all the info. I have since let that property go, and got my down payment back! So I'm doing my research for the better area/property. ... ...
You made a good decision. Pincenega you want to think twice also. Under four acres will seem pretty small for an ATV after just a couple of rides.

You guys don't say where you are from, but I can tell you have not been to the Bly area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon