Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 15,972 times

Advertisements

i live in az right now and want a change, i have a special needs son that 10 and need to find the right city for him schools etc, also we love the out doors and sight seeing,

dont want to live in a city where a bible thumbers that come to you door a preach, im lookin g at beaverton
right now but any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Because front door preachers are mobile there are no guarantees, however, I haven't encountered one in several years. There is no town known for more (or less) door-to-door preachers that I know of in the Pacific NW.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Oregon has a large Mormon population so you get the young folks on their mission at your door every so often, but I haven't found myself overly preached at. I don't think it is a huge problem anywhere in Oregon because we have really low church attendance here.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Just be sure you're a five or more blocks away from a church. Some like to watch the house sales in the neighborhood and like to come by to "welcome the neighbors."

Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 AM

thanks for all the help but i want to know more about the town beaverton.

schools malls etc

Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
My daughter lives in Beaverton. The impression I get when I visit is that Beaverton is an extension of Portland with many large apartment complexes, and some attractive single family home neighborhoods scrunched between busy streets with lots of stores. There are some very nice city parks and some trails for walking/running. Public transportation is excellent and it is easy to get to downtown Portland and PDX airport using the MAX line. Don't know about the schools

Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
My daughter lives in Beaverton. The impression I get when I visit is that Beaverton is an extension of Portland with many large apartment complexes, and some attractive single family home neighborhoods scrunched between busy streets with lots of stores. There are some very nice city parks and some trails for walking/running. Public transportation is excellent and it is easy to get to downtown Portland and PDX airport using the MAX line. Don't know about the schools
I wouldn't quite say it's an extension of Portland, but the rest is fairly accurate. There are some areas to avoid living in, pretty much within about 1/2 mile radius of the Cedar Hills Mall.

Beaverton Schools are good overall, but some are much better then others. On the other hand, Portland Schools are more able to deal with Special Needs children of all types.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Have you spent much time in the PAC-NW. people from the east coast or even the Midwest seem to do alright after relocating to this region but like I've said in other posts most people that relocate from sunny dry climates like CA or AZ don't adjust well to the weather in the PAC-NW. You see a lot of folks from your neck of the woods that like it for about a year or so before the weather starts to break them.
also Oregon is expensive now days too and is rapidly becoming more Hispanic. In another 10 years it will be CA with bad weather.
Have you considered northern CA?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Cost of living compared to AZ is going to feel especially high.

Jobs are easier to find in AZ.

The colder, wetter, darker, longer winters (and shorter winter days) is hard on a lot of people.

I'm from TX and love it, though...

I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere, but in the Eugene 4J District the schools practice inclusion - meaning that children with disabilities/challenges are placed in gen-ed classrooms with all the other children and are assigned an IA = Instructional Assistant, and also receive extra help and therapy.

Can't tell you much about Beaverton... been around there a few times. Feels like a typical bland suburb type of place. There are definitely more interesting places in Oregon to call home.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

i lived in salem or in 06-07 and loved it just didint like the apt and the west i lived in too much crime.

looking to move to or and want to plan it out better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon