Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,141 times

Advertisements

Can someone from Brookings tell me about Brookings. Do NOT want an Realtor ad or something like go to this Realtor ad. Work and renting apartments. Can't afford anything over 500. To start because I'll have to find a job once there. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM

60 posts, read 365,113 times
Have you researched the area? It's a long way from major medical centers and other amenities, but it is a beautiful area. Being a mostly retirement area I don't know what the job opportunities would be like.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,769 times
Brookings weather wise is probably one of the warmer spots on the coast.It's actually called the "banana belt".It has grown in the last 10 years and is very popular spot.As far as jobs-I don't know but the medical/dental situation is the same in all the small towns-terrible.They seem to attract those that are run out of their old towns or could'nt make it in a larger city.If you have serious health problems ,go to a major medical center .Don't even risk the small town locals.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 PM

14 posts, read 76,526 times
Best way to find out about jobs and rentals is to look at the local newspaper...The Curry Pilot. I think their website is CurryPilot.com. If not, just google it.

I'm retired and I live here so I don't know much about employment opportunities.

I would totally disregard the comments about health care. Health care is the same everywhere today in this country....totally atrocious. It's "disease care" not health care anyway.

Take care of yourself. Take the right supplements and read a lot about TRUE ways to health and you don't ever need to be part of the so-called "medical care" system.

I have survived here with cancer and now a liver disease. I doubt the treatments I DID submit to were any different than if I lived in a big city again. Now I rely on MYSELF for my own care because doctors everywhere are worthless.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM

I forgot ONE THING. The most important one. Every day that I live here I give thanks to God that I am fortunate enough to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I will be here until I die....healthcare or no healthcare. LOL!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:49 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,769 times
I'm sorry about your cancer and liver disease but please don't think that healthcare is the same everywhere.I personally know of doctors on the coast that performed procedures to patients that medical staff in Portland couldn't believe.Think about it;if your living in area of lets say 3500 people and visit the local doctor,what chances does he have from lets say someone who lives in a city of 250,000 people of recognizing the cause of the symptoms.It's based on expierence and being able to draw from that in helping diagnose the condition.A friend of mine from work had taken his young son(1-2) into the local doctor for what they thought might be a sinus infection.Presciptions given,went home.Time goes by and condition gets worse-stronger presciption by same doctor.Finally after much frustration an no further diagnosis by small town doctor my friend takes his son to Portland for second opinion.Doctor thoroughly checks out child and finds popcorn kernal in eye socket area and removes it-one visit.His son had been playing in popcorn bowl and somehow absorbed the kernal.I know that not an ordinary thing but chalk one up for expierence.I could go on from my own mother being severly burned by overradiation,the local care facilities cook malesting patients,things getting stolen and so on.The state tries to visit these facilities and follow up on problems and write them up for citations but there's not enough people that the state has to do this.It might sound like they're all the same but believe me some are much,much better than others.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
I'm sorry about your cancer and liver disease but please don't think that healthcare is the same everywhere.I personally know of doctors on the coast that performed procedures to patients that medical staff in Portland couldn't believe.Think about it;if your living in area of lets say 3500 people and visit the local doctor,what chances does he have from lets say someone who lives in a city of 250,000 people of recognizing the cause of the symptoms.It's based on expierence and being able to draw from that in helping diagnose the condition.A friend of mine from work had taken his young son(1-2) into the local doctor for what they thought might be a sinus infection.Presciptions given,went home.Time goes by and condition gets worse-stronger presciption by same doctor.Finally after much frustration an no further diagnosis by small town doctor my friend takes his son to Portland for second opinion.Doctor thoroughly checks out child and finds popcorn kernal in eye socket area and removes it-one visit.His son had been playing in popcorn bowl and somehow absorbed the kernal.I know that not an ordinary thing but chalk one up for expierence.I could go on from my own mother being severly burned by overradiation,the local care facilities cook malesting patients,things getting stolen and so on.The state tries to visit these facilities and follow up on problems and write them up for citations but there's not enough people that the state has to do this.It might sound like they're all the same but believe me some are much,much better than others.

The cancer treatment would be the same anywhere in this country because all that is legal is surgery, chemo and radiation. NONE of these treatments will cure cancer except temporarily. There ARE cures for cancer but they are not allowed in this country. You have to go to Mexico or Europe for real treatment. I went to Denmark.

"Doctors" in this country don't even know what cancer is. Cancer is a failure of the immune system. So in their brilliance they destroy your immune system with chemo. No thanks!

Health care IS the same everywhere in this country I'm convinced. I moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area. It is not better there than here. And one would think that in the wonderful PROGRESSIVE (LOL) SF Bay Area they would have great health care.

Why do you think it just recently came out that the US is now 42nd in life expectancy? Because doctors have become dangerous drug pushers.

I don't care anymore. I'm just happy to live out the rest of my life in this beautiful place while relying on so-called "alternative medicine" to keep me going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon