Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 AM

23 posts, read 99,256 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking at moving from Oz and we want to move to an easy goin place with beautifull scenery... is it really that wet and overcast for months in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
I heard my first "Does it ever quit raining around here?" of the season just yesterday. If we have a wet spring, the refrain will go on for the next 3 months. As long as you are willing to go outside and get rained on, the rain is not a problem. If you are like the Wicked Witch of the West and melt if you get wet, it will be a problem.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 AM

899 posts, read 2,930,008 times
I agree with Larry the weather is real easy to take..You just have rain coats for warmer rainy days and colder rainy days and learn to layer.
I garden in winter and yes get a bit damp but its still easy to take..
come and enjoy and play in the rain with us.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
If you are from the school of thought that says mostly cloudy or overcast skies and frequent drizzle in the late fall, winter and early spring are depressing then: yes. Because it does cloud over and drizzle (rarely torrential tropical-style rain) through much of the winter, sometimes for weeks. So if you are starting from the assumption that that style of weather is depressing, yes it will be.

If your ideal weather is sunny, dry, warm and cloudless, then no part of Oregon will give you the weather you want, and you need to head to Southern California or Arizona or Nevada, which will be closest to that.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:59 AM

15,487 posts, read 40,178,438 times
Yes it is wet and overcast for months. As others have stated, it really is a psychological thing for most people. You have to embrace the rain. If you don't, you will probably get depressed in Oregon.

Beautiful scenery comes with a price. Lakes and rivers don't fill up by themselves

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM

927 posts, read 1,937,710 times
We do have a wet season. Generally the rain starts in mid-late September and is brief. The spells of bad weather then don't last long. Starting in late October or early November, the extended spells of rainy weather truly set in, sometimes lasting for weeks at a time. And it can be very depressing. Attitude control is very important; the rainy season can last clear 'til mid April or even May but such an extended period of yuck is fairly rare.

So what we get in exchange for clouds and drip fit to make even Job lose his temper is:
1. A riot of green that carries until August. Our scenery is as beautiful as it is because of the slop we endure for as much as five to six months at a stretch.
2. A summer season to die for. I have seen 75 consecutive days with not only no rain but no clouds. If that went on all year we'd be as dry as the Simpson Desert.
3. An agricultural powerhouse that is second only to California for row crops and fruit trees.

You get used to it and with proper clothing - which is readily available in any decent outdoor store - can enjoy many outdoor activities.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
No, yesterday was sunny, about 70, no wind. It was a reel nice day.
Here at 2000', i get at least partial sunny days fairly often.

Our forests & waterways need the rain, snow to flourish. It helps with Forest Fire Danger.
Sometimes the fishin' is good ona rainy day.

The anadromous fish need the rain, to spawn.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

43 posts, read 227,506 times
I don't understand whats depressing about clouds and rain.

You know what is depressing? Constant sun and heat. In Phoenix, no one cares what the weather men have to say. You wake up every morning knowing its going to be 100 and sunny. Every morning! Ug. I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

Its been cloudy / raining for weeks here in Corvallis. But the weather every day is different. Cold / Warm / Drizzy / Cloudy but dry / Random sun break-through / Rainshowers....

This morning the sun broke and we went out and sun bathed. Felt wonderful. IMO, the weather here is great, makes me appreciate the sun more, and is rather uplifting.

So, in conclusion, your mileage may vary, depending on how traumatized your local climate has made you.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 31,914 times
Actually, not all of Oregon is so wet and rainy. It depends on where you live in Oregon. As I lived throughout all of Oregon my whole life I can tell you that if you want a climate for the most part that is dry, warm summers and lots of sun then choose Southern Oregon. Medford, Ashland Grants pass area...Rogue Valley. While Portland gets annual rainfall of 40-60 inches a year, Southern Oregon gets only 20 inches!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,219 times
It can be. 6 months of constant overcast days and frequent rain definitely takes its toll on some people. Others it doesn't bother, but it seems to me like the collective mood seems to improve drastically when spring finally rolls around and the sun is out and shining. Like everyone seems to wake up a little and become more lively and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon