Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,410,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I so agree with this! And it's bound to be for certain after the Rose Festival! Every year I hear someone suggest the Rose Festival be moved to August when we know it won't rain.
This is the first Rose Festival in 30 years where the Roses aren't blooming for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
This is the first Rose Festival in 30 years where the Roses aren't blooming for it.
But usually what happens is that May has many nice days in it and you get suckered in to thinking that the wet cool spring weather is turning and THEN it rains for June and the Rose Festival.

This year we skipped the "nice May" part.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But usually what happens is that May has many nice days in it and you get suckered in to thinking that the wet cool spring weather is turning and THEN it rains for June and the Rose Festival.

This year we skipped the "nice May" part.
But we did have a really nice January.

I have noticed all the leaves are very pale green this spring. I don't know if that is because there hasn't been enough sunshine for the plants to find it worthwhile to make chlorophyll, or if it's because the vegetation is so lush it has outstripped the soil nutrients. I fed one tree that was looking puny, and it perked right up.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM

287 posts, read 737,572 times
I think it's pale because leaves is growing very slowly. AHA! this means this June's Oregon strawberries will be SOOOOO fanastic! slow-growing strawberries receive time enough to produce lots of natural sugars and redding = tastiest strawberries from Mt. Hood!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM

927 posts, read 1,943,079 times
When the numbers finally get fully crunched later this month we will find that this spring was unusually cool and wet. For Corvallis and the mid-Willamette Valley there were virtually no spells of really warm weather.

On the other hand, there wasn't the January like chill that some of our other cooler springs have seen. Corvallis' official NWS weather station at Hyslop Field north of town saw only two days where it failed to reach 50 degrees; both of them in early March. My own thermometer saw only one. The cloud associated with that silver lining was that there were very few days that got out of the 50's. Even in May nearly half the days failed to reach 60 degrees. Night time temperatures, though below average, were closer to it than daytime temps. Our near constant cloud cover kept daytime temperatures depressed and probably elevated night time ones a little more than they would have been were our season more cloud free. I saw one frost at my place and Hyslop Field saw a 29 degree day on April 19 but never saw the temperature drop below 32 any other time. Very unusual given how cold this spring was. Temperature wise what made this spring stand out was its consistant chilliness rather than short spells of extremely cold weather. We didn't set a single cold temperature record and I found that amazing in view of the general chilliness of this season.

In the 92 days that make up the meterological spring, Corvallis' NWS station saw at least a trace of rain on 79 of them. My own rain gauge didn't even do that well. I got only 7 rain free days. But again, there was no stupendous rain dumps; no 24 hour or monthly rainfall records were set.....We just had the continuous, steady drip, drip, drip of precipitation not unlike a leaking faucet and that got very annoying even before March ran out.

It's really too bad no one in the Willamette Valley tracks sunshine hours (or I should say I can't find any numbers from any sites I am familiar with) because it is this one aspect of our Fimbulwinter, more than any other, that will cling leechlike to my unwilling memory. We simply didn't get any or very much. We had nearly as much sunshine the last two weeks of February (an unusually sunny one) than we have gotten since the first of March. I can only give an estimate but I would say we got no more than 175 to 200 hours of sunshine the entire spring season. That's absurd and about as great an anomaly from "normal" as Moscow's crazy warm summer last year.

And speaking of "normal" I'm afraid the news for the future isn't looking too bright. La Nina is progged to go away some time later this year but that may not be such a big deal. We have a much longer weather cycle driven by oceanic currents called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation that runs over a period of up to 60 years. The positive or "warm" phase runs for 20 to 30 years and following that is a negative or "cool" phase running for a similiar length of time. We are about 5 years into a very strong negative phase of this PDO so I don't hold out much hope that next spring or very many in the immediate future will be much, if any, better than this last one.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Sat out on the eastern patio in the sun this morning - had to wear two sweatshirts, but it was worth it.

I have a cold frame set up in the garden, and the spinach and chard are doing well. The bell peppers all died, though, and the lettuces are looking pretty sad, even inside a cold frame. Along the same lines, the spring peas are doing okay (although not growing very fast) but the green beans aren't growing and the leaves have turned yellow. The rhubarb is happy, as are the asparagus, under their mound of straw.

The tomatoes, cucumbers and squash are all still in the sunroom in the house.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 06-02-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Quote:
Sat out on the eastern patio in the sun this morning - had to wear two sweatshirts, but it was worth it.

I have a cold frame set up in the garden, and the spinach and chard are doing well. The bell peppers all died, though, and the lettuces are looking pretty sad, even inside a cold frame. Along the same lines, the spring peas are doing okay (although not growing very fast) but the green beans aren't growing and the leaves have turned yellow. The rhubarb is happy, as are the asparagus, under their mound of straw.

Are you continuing to have below-freezing mornings?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Are you continuing to have below-freezing mornings?
Light frost in the morning - temps hover between 30-34 right at dawn, but no hard freezes in a week or so. We have been having hail and the occasional non-sticking snow - we're right at 4,400', just 5 miles across the lake from the Cascades.

For next year my cold frame update will be to use something beefier than 7 mil plastic. Of course, the plan is to have the greenhouse done and heated by solar thermal by next year, but building plans have a way of going awry....

Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times
Quote:

Some years ago i decided to go simple, so i've been using some 5 gallon plastic buckets (drill holes in bottom) on my deck, to grow cherry, romo, beefsteak tomatoes, & some sweet strawberries...YUM YUM, so good.

Other veggies,fruit, i get in Grants Pass at the produce market, or some small towns.

Here in southwest OR, at 2000' on the south side of the mountain, lot of days i've gotten partial sun. Lately many days are in the 60's (at times 70's). Nites in the 40's mostly, no wind.

Have a beautiful day...

http://bestsmileys.com/sun/4.gif (broken link)

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Other veggies,fruit, i get in Grants Pass at the produce market, or some small towns.
One of the sad things about this particular part of Oregon is the lack of a good farmer's market, especially for such an agriculture-based area (yeah, okay, so it's hay and potatoes and almost nothing else). Sure, there is one in downtown KFalls on Saturday morning, but there isn't much in the way of produce until July or so and the market's over in September, and only the most standard things (which I already grow myself) are available. How I miss the PSU farmer's market in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon