Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,363 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: off topic

I can see where a lack of information about where to walk or keep a pet during travel would be difficult. Perhaps more signage or information would be helpful.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 AM

62 posts, read 189,504 times
Default Bountiful Utah also restricts dogs in parks

i am interested in ashland, have visited many times, but have also seen signs in Bountiful, Utah stating "no dogs" in their city park

i am not sure if the reason for the signs is that important to daily life in either of these communities given that there are national forests and dog parks in both. therefore, the issue is not important to me.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
Default Dogs in Ashland

Ashland recently changed its policy on dogs in parks. There are now several parks that allow dogs on a leash, on a the trail. Lithia Park is not one of them. I live here, have two dogs and find that it is a VERY dog friendly city. It is also a city that takes great pride in its jewel of a park system. Lithia Park is beautiful and filled with wildlife. There are so many people in town with dogs (including transients), if dogs were allowed in the park, the park would sustain major damage. Not to mention chasing after critters, and being attacked by deer (look it up if you don't believe me, the deer in Ashland attack dogs). Many of the downtown businesses allow dogs inside, and many of the sidewalk cafes don't mind if spot sits on the ground next to you as you eat. Many businesses put out water dishes for your pup as you walk by.

It is not unusual to see a dog tied up outside a dog or restaurant, and if you leave a dog in a car for more than 15 minutes in the middle of summer, then shame on you and you deserve the grief given you by the dog lovers of this town.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 169,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit2ashland View Post
Ashland recently changed its policy on dogs in parks. There are now several parks that allow dogs on a leash, on a the trail. Lithia Park is not one of them. I live here, have two dogs and find that it is a VERY dog friendly city. It is also a city that takes great pride in its jewel of a park system. Lithia Park is beautiful and filled with wildlife. There are so many people in town with dogs (including transients), if dogs were allowed in the park, the park would sustain major damage. Not to mention chasing after critters, and being attacked by deer (look it up if you don't believe me, the deer in Ashland attack dogs). Many of the downtown businesses allow dogs inside, and many of the sidewalk cafes don't mind if spot sits on the ground next to you as you eat. Many businesses put out water dishes for your pup as you walk by.

It is not unusual to see a dog tied up outside a dog or restaurant, and if you leave a dog in a car for more than 15 minutes in the middle of summer, then shame on you and you deserve the grief given you by the dog lovers of this town.
Well said. I see dogs everywhere here.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
Default Ashland is not dog friendly

My family was going to visit Ashland for the Christmas holidays, but after reading this forum, we're going to Bend instead. Thanks for warning us about the problems with Ashland. We are responsible dog owners and don't want to bother with a town that doesn't respect us and our well behaved, loving pooches!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintails View Post
Just an fyi as far as the dog "drinking from the fountain". canine mouths are generally much cleaner than human mouths so next time you see someone holding their dog up for a drink I wouldn't say anything......but god forbid you see someone holding their child up for a drink at the fountain I would scream bloody murder!!!!!
That is an old wive's tale. Dog's mouths are filthy. They lick their own butts and eat poop.

People even let their dogs lick human wounds and sores, saying dog saliva is healing! No way should they be drinking from a public fountain.

Frankly, I do not want to go into a public park with a whole bunch of dogs all over. Not all owners pick up dog doo, believe me. Dogs urinate on the bushes and flowers. They jump on people. I like and love my own dog, just don't really care to interact with other people's dogs and I treat others with the same respect.

"Therapy dogs". Yesterday I was in the grocery store and there was some guy with a dog the guy was looking at the cold cuts. And down below, there was his dog smelling and licking the bacon. I had a kid patient, I'm a nurse, and he was post appendetomy. Someone put a "Therapy dog" in the bed with the kid and this great big Basset Hound put his huge foot right on the child's incision.

Look, everyone does not enjoy your dog like you do. Oregon is full of open and public land. Take them there for excercise, they will love it and so will you.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,552 times
Please help us make Ashland more "dog friendly" by visiting our facebook page: Ashland Loves Dogs. And post your opinions, recommendations, frustrations, etc. We have had some limited success lobbying the local Parks & Rec Commission but could certainly use help. Also, if you would remind our CoC that this is also an ECONOMIC issue, it would help to educate them. Thank you!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,363 times
Personally, I'm glad Ashland's leaders are intelligent enough to create boundaries and put people's comfort and health above dogs and their owners. Not only is it costly to replace plants and lawn spots pooped and urinated on and hire Grounds Staff to pick up dog waste, people should be able to sit on waste-free grass and not worry about themselves or children being licked or attacked by someone's pet. Swans, ducks and deer, etc. should also be in a safe environment.

Even after nasty dog waste is picked up by a responsible owner, the smell, parasites and mess left behind should not be foisted on everyone else. Stores that allow dogs inside, including many dangerous breeds, so my stress level is raised, and I have to breathe all that in, are ones I don't shop at. I don't enjoy dogs jumping up on my clothes, having them share their wet nose or tongue in my hand or getting gouged by nails. Not everyone overlooks the fact that dogs lick their hind quarters, to be polite, and other dogs, cats, etc., and literally eat fecal matter. I don't have to kiss a dog on the mouth to appreciate the animal. Limits are created for reasons. If we showed as much care for humans as we do for animals, our world might be a more peaceful place.

Choosing to own a dog, a Python or a lion does not mean we are now entitled to push other people's rights aside and 'share' our pet wherever we might happen to go. There are other ways to socialize and share love for pets that don't infringe on the rights of others. Lithia Park is one place of beauty that I frequent that gets enough wear from the public. To add another polluted toileting area with sanitary and odor problems because some want dogs to be included would destroy the aesthetics for others.

Don't non-dog owners pay taxes that create and maintain 'dog parks and beaches'?

Some of the comments sound like dogs have been elevated as humans, like after a Django movement, all animals can just run loose, 'unchained' or be integrated with the rest of their equal 'human' kind. An animal is not oppressed because there are limits to protect the rights of others. I am glad, however, that people are speaking up to protect overlooking an animal's safety or comfort, like being left in cars, etc. All living things deserve protection and consideration. Owning an animal means having more responsibilities, not additional demands on the rights and peace of others.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,552 times
I do wish that this post would list most recent entries first...as it is, we have to wade through all the "old news" (& complaints) before realizing that things ARE changing and improving. So, that said... Just another friendly update about Ashland, Oregon.

Last Monday evening (May 2013) our Ashland Parks & Rec Commission approved allowing leashed dogs in more sections of current ”dog-friendly” parks, including grassy areas. Dogs are no longer restricted to paved pathways or six feet adjacent to pathways. The rule change is effective immediately and signage will be updated accordingly. “This represents a major shift in the commission’s thinking from years past,” stated Parks Director Don Robertson. *

Thanks to the negative website reviews, a local group, ASHLAND LOVES DOGS, initiated efforts to reverse this unfortunate impression. Every step we take brings us closer to demonstrating that Ashland, Oregon really does love dogs.

Your cooperation in acknowledging this information would be appreciated.

* Visit the Ashland Parks & Recreation home page or call 541.488.5340 for more information.
City of Ashland Release Date: 5/21/2013

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,636 times
My husband and I had no idea that dogs were not allowed in Lithia Park. We were too busy taking pictures of the beautiful fall foliage and scenery to notice signs at the level of our knees during our walk there this morning. The sign actually says "no animals." Apparently humans, squirrels, birds, etc don't count as animals, only dogs. Militant locals who apparently support and enforce the policy shooed us, and our leashed four legged companion, out of the park. We've travelled all over the world with our dog, no issues anywhere but here. I cannot fathom the reasons for it and we won't be back. Leashed dogs are no threat to anyone. Too bad, it's one of the cutest towns on the west coast. We would have come back again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon