Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

A hard question to answer, of course, because it depends so much on the person. I think you will find the Oregon weather pretty strikingly different. I was doing fieldwork yesterday and it was in the mid 40s and raining hard all day on the 25th of May! Pretty miserable. I recall thinking a friend was crazy because he said you cannot wear shorts before July in Corvallis. Then I moved there, and I learned he was right! Even here in Ashland, i have worn shorts twice this entire spring so far. Not saying you could not adjust, and perhaps even like it, but it is very different than SoCal.

Arizona might have a better economy (marginally) at the moment, and affordable real estate. and the climate might be more similar to what your are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Working in high tech, the people that I saw move to Portland and then move back generally had their heart in California (or whatever state they moved from) and it was always the place they considered "home" - Oregon was just where they were living for now.

Reminiscing about how much "better" the weather is (or living conditions, shopping, scenery, whatever) is a pretty sure way of alienating coworkers and neighbors.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I also think you need to consider the cultural differences of the state. Oregon is very laid back even compared to California. It is also very pro Oregon and anti-big chains. Not to say that we don't have them here, but Oregon is very pro mom and pop shops and restaurants. Portland and surrounds is about 1M I think, compared to what 3-4M where you are? You'd be stepping down significantly in the size of city, which means less amenities and a slower paced culture.

I think it is much too simplistic to try and weigh weather vs. cost of living. There is so much more to consider when moving than that, IMO.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Working in high tech, the people that I saw move to Portland and then move back generally had their heart in California (or whatever state they moved from) and it was always the place they considered "home" - Oregon was just where they were living for now.

Reminiscing about how much "better" the weather is (or living conditions, shopping, scenery, whatever) is a pretty sure way of alienating coworkers and neighbors.
This is always my biggest gripe about out of state coworkers. Complaining about the weather isn't going to change it. If you don't like it, quit and go back.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,684 times
We have talked about moving to other parts of CA and there sure are other parts that are just as affordable as OR. If I move closer to the LA/farther from the beach areas I can get the rent down pretty cheap. I dont know how jobs are in these areas but I do know from experience that they are not safe areas, very high crime. I spent a small amount of time living in Garden Grove and drugs were sold right out front on my apartment steps and I was chased down by two men when going to buy milk after dark. Also growing up in downtown LA there were drive by shootings to be seen and heard on a daily basis. I will not do the safety trade off for affordable rent ever again in my life. The OR cities I have been looking at actually seem mostly decent and safe for the $750/month rent on 1 bedrooms, which where I live now cost $1400/month. Not to mention that you get natural beauty and fresh air in OR instead of LA smog. Someone mentioned Sacremento and I have been there before. I didnt care for the higher crime and hotter summers, but yes the rent is cheap.

Someone mentioned AZ and I have two friends who relocated there from CA. I do believe the job situation may be better as my friend got a job her first week of applying, which is very hopeful compared to SoCal right now. However, I cant live in 110+ degree summers. To me 75 to 80 degrees is hot and even our summers by the beach sometimes reach the 90-100 mark and I find it to be pure torture. I like warm weather, which to me is low to mid 70's, but not anything above 80. Also I simply hate the look of AZ, its so dry. I like trees and mountains and lush green. CA has some of this, probably not as much as OR, but much more so than AZ.

I did notice many of my big chain stores were not to be found in OR, which was a bit of a shock. But I like the support of mom and pop places and I can always order my brand name things online. For me the question is...can I handle 9 months of rain and overcast skies like someone mentioned.

Someone else said that OR really isnt that much cheaper. Maybe compared to some places in the U.S. but it's about half the price when compared to SoCal (safe) areas. I have looked at homes and apartments in both places and OR wins hands down. For $300,000 I actually found a beautiful 3 bedroom home in the Lake Oswego area. In Newport Beach or Laguna Niguel you wont find any that cheap because you pay for the beach and the weather. I want a place with natural beauty, safety, and affordability. Maybe it's a lot to ask but it seems like OR has those 3 things. ??

Someone I think mentioned moving to the SF Bay area? Believe me, if I could pay those prices I would live there. Its just as expensive as SoCal, if not even more so. I would pick SF over SoCal if I were to stay in Cali because I much prefer the weather. I hate hot summers, and fog and overcast dont bother me much. There is lots to love about SF but have you looked at the average apartment costs? No thanks! The three areas I find apartments that are about $1500-$2500 /month for just one bedrooms are OC, SF, and SD, and I suppose Hollywood Hills/Malibu. I love all of these areas with the exception of Hollywood/LA (horrid traffic and smog). And I would live in SF or SD or stay in OC if I wanted to pay $800K to $2 Million for a 3 bedroom home. But I think thats crazy! My husband and I are regular working people, not the above-average lawyers and doctors. We dont want to spend more than $500K and if we can get it closer to $300K even better.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM

43 posts, read 228,034 times
Well, one of the reasons why people are saying the costs in Oregon aren't really that much better than Cali is because the pay you get here will most likely be lower. So usually, it works itself out. People like to say that Oregon is poverty with a view (Bend in particular, but it seems every town likes to claim this saying). I don't know that I quite agree, but it depends on your industry.

Can you move up to Oregon just temporarily? Come up here starting September, stay for 9 months, see if you can handle it?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
I'm guessing the CA housing market isn't going to go much lower, but it will be flat for a couple years at least. So you have time.
Besides the weather difference, wages/salaries are lower. If I moved back to the Bay Area, I'd be getting about a 30% raise or more. So while the cost of housing is less, the cost of other things may feel like more.

At least in Portland, it IS gray. My sisters - born in Seattle, like me, and living in Cardiff and Laguna Beach, cannot stand being here for more than a week. Me, on the other hand, well, it took a while, but I just do indoor stuff when it's raining - or put on appropriate clothing.

It's really your call. I would say for most career-building, Seattle is better, but its housing is more expensive.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Your best shot for what you want is Las Vegas, only 4 hours from SoCal. You can find incredible buys on houses and won't have to sacrifice the sunny weather. Jobs in Vegas are likely to pay better than comparable jobs in Oregon, so your living standard would be higher there too.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
You mention you and your husband are "average working people." That may be a detriment. The markets for most jobs, including the example you gave of attorneys, is oversaturated.

What are your job skills? It would be a good idea for you to determine if there is a need for them and what the pay would be. Keep in mind that most ordinary jobs, if you can find them, pay a bit less than comparable jobs elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
So it sounds like you want the following:
cool summers
safety
affordability
natural beauty
close to beach
job availability

With the exception of job availability, you can get a lot of what you are seeking in Northwest Oregon. Keep in mind that "Oregon" isn't just Portland, but an entire large state (it seems like a lot of people in SoCal think that "Oregon" and "Portland" are synonymous just like they think that "California" extends from San Diego to Santa Barbara and inland to about Riverside). NW Oregon includes the Portland Metro area and other cities such as Newberg, McMinnville, Salem, Albany, Corvallis, Eugene, and many smaller towns in between. These would all fit your criteria, again with the exception of job availability.

The only way you're going to determine whether you could take the extended period of overcast/rain is to try it out, and I think most of the participants on these boards would agree that you shouldn't consider moving until you have a solid job offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon