Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM

42 posts, read 71,822 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone~

Warmest greetings to you all! This is my very first time on a forum. During my search of beautiful places to live in Oregon, I have thankfully stumbled upon this forum. I am hoping that by reaching out to the vast numbers of Oregonians through this forum, this will at least enlighten us enough to start us in the right direction.

We are looking to relocate from Southern Calif. (San Pedro), away from unhealthy air, the congestion of way too many people, the over-crowded freeways, and the high crime. I am also tired of living on top of each other, hence seeking more breathing room in Oregon.

We have considered both Washington and Oregon but fear Washington weather would lean more towards the ‘gloomy’ spectrum more so than we desire - and at the same time, unsure if Oregon is that much different. But from what I’ve read, I think we would absolutely love Oregon!

My girlfriend is a native of S. Calif. but I am originally from the Midwest (Crown Point, Indiana -- approx. 50 miles south of Chicago). I moved to S. Calif. 11 years ago. I never realized how much I loved the ‘season changes’ until I moved away. I love ‘weather’ and crave to have that once again, but nothing too severe! (I surely don’t miss the severe thunderstorms or potential tornadoes, nor do I miss the severe winters! Long drawn out harsh winters and chiseling your car out of ice I can do without!). We are simply looking for a milder version of the four seasons and are hoping some locals / natives could give us some good ideas of where to start our search.

We are looking to build our dream house on at least an acre of land (or so). A piece of semi-wooded land that can hold a 5250 sq. ft. house (not including attached garage). Ideally, in a newly developed subdivision with beauty and character, preferably on the outskirts of a quaint town. Lots that are not only large enough for a house this size, but that gives you privacy (semi-seclusion mainly by some natural woods but also by additional landscaping) ...and at the same time, we don’t want to be completely isolated from neighbors.

I understand that we will have to spend some time in Oregon, making multiple trips and spending time with a realtor(s) to search out various spots, but I’m hoping to get some good direction (a head start) on where, perhaps, we might find many of these specific wants / needs for our new location.

Since we have the means to build a house of this size, we would want to be surrounded by other homes of this caliber so that we don’t “stand out” looking like a target. Safety and security are of the utmost importance along with the beauty of the property (and surrounding land) we build on.

Earlier I mentioned wanting to be on the “outskirts of a quaint town”. This would also mean no distant traffic noise. We would LOVE a small town feel, (at least to be part of a ‘smaller’ community away from the metro areas). The more quaint the better! Quaint, quaint, quaint. Either in walking distance or short driving distance (5 - 10 minutes or so). ...walking distance might be too much to ask for because if it IS possible, that might be putting us at the town of Willoughby, the small town from the 1800’s in an episode of the Twilight Zone! (lol). (you Twilight Zoners know it!)

But our wish is to have a place where you would find some quaint shops and restaurants, an ice cream shoppe, antique shops, an old-time theater, etc. (you have the idea) BUT, and here’s the catch...to have all of that but also close enough in driving distance to the more well known stores / restaurants. We really don’t want to be completely without ‘choices’ when it comes to food and shopping. Ideally, with a Whole Foods in the mix or a Trader Joe’s (unfortunately, I am learning that TJ’s locations are few and far between throughout Oregon, but yes, having a TJ’s would make us extremely happy!)...but if we can’t have a TJ’s, there’s always hope that new locations will arise in the near future (so that’s not a deciding factor). Although, I may go into depression without my TJ’s. So hmm, maybe that IS a deciding factor after all. ...bear with me, I’m almost done.

We would love areas to hike or ride our bikes, or simply to take walks just enjoying nature...a drive to a nearby lake(s) would be heavenly as well (or not. It isn’t a deciding factor).

We are not into the “night life” and we do not have to worry about job opportunities as we work from home via the internet. Also, we haven’t any children so no need to be concerned about the schools.

We pretty much keep to ourselves. We’re both in our 40s but are very young at heart. One place that we will truly miss is Disneyland, one of our FAVORITE places to be. THAT will be one of the hardest things to give up, along with some of our most favorite restaurants! And then again, if we can find a place that makes thee best pizza...then it just might make up for the rest! (well, not really...I think we would want more than just great pizza!)

Most importantly, we simply want a slower paced, peaceful (less stressful) life, with a strong sense of safety, feeling surrounded by good people, surrounded by beauty with room to breathe (“cleaner” air to breathe!)...all that with a mild version of the four seasons.

From what I understand (so far), different parts of Oregon have different weather, but all, pretty much have the “gloom” factor (no escaping that!). Also, as far as I know, cities / towns west of the Cascades, especially along the coast, have the most gloom (which is not for us!) and east of the Cascades is dryer and less snow (which is good). Northern Oregon, more rain, southern Oregon, less rain (also good). So in knowing that, I suppose our ultimate dream location would be more in the southern part of the state and east of the Cascades. Of course that is just my guess. Not sure what the more central part of the state is like but please, if anyone could perhaps direct us, give us some ideas of what areas sound like “good matches” to my descriptions above, I (we) would be so very grateful!

I thank you all so much for taking the time to read my very lengthy post (and I apologize for that, but I believe it’s unavoidable since this is so very important to us and “details” can only help paint a more accurate picture of our dream location). I thank you in advance for any and all input / suggestions! Many many thanks! Stacey & Dana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
How small is small town?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
I hate to say this, but check out Bend. You'll fit in, has the smaller town feel, 'better' weather than most all of Oregon and there is already a ton of these 5,000 sq. homes. Also, there's very little crime and you'll be 20 mins away from 5 9-10k mountains, one of which being a ski resort.

I gotta ask, though. What does one do with a 5,000 sq ft house? Do you have lots of kids? Lots of hobbies?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I hate to say this, but check out Bend. You'll fit in, has the smaller town feel, 'better' weather than most of Oregon and there is already a ton of these 5,000 sq. home. Also, there's very little crime, your 20 min drive to 5 9-10k mountains, one of which being a ski resort.

I gotta ask, though. What does one do with a 5,000 sq ft house? Do you have lots of kids? Lots of hobbies?
We often have relocaters move up here and not realize that Oregonians generally build more modest homes.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
How small is small town?
Good question. Well, we know we wouldn't want to be in Podunk USA , I suppose anywhere between 8,000 - 15,000.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
Good question. Well, we know we wouldn't want to be in Podunk USA , I suppose anywhere between 8,000 - 15,000.

Then I would consider Silverton, OR. Salem has a Trader Joe's so you'd just have to drive 30 minutes or so to get there from Silverton. We also have LifeSource, which isn't whole foods, but it has good organic produce and I have gotten everything I need there. There is a Whole Foods up in Bridgeport if you really have to go there which is about 45 minutes away.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I hate to say this, but check out Bend. You'll fit in, has the smaller town feel, 'better' weather than most all of Oregon and there is already a ton of these 5,000 sq. homes. Also, there's very little crime and you'll be 20 mins away from 5 9-10k mountains, one of which being a ski resort.

Thanks so much for responding. But now I have to ask, why did you start out by saying, "I hate to say this..."? Makes me wonder if something is 'wrong' with Bend ...and to answer your last q. No children (as I mentioned in my post), but lots of family and friends we would love to have for visits. We also work out of our home so we would have space specifically for that...and well, just as I mentioned, this is our "dream house" so a little bit of extra space to settle into for the next chapter of our lives just appeals to us. It's actually quite cozy for a 5,000 sq. ft. house. Thanks for your suggestion...I will surely check into it.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Then I would consider Silverton, OR. Salem has a Trader Joe's so you'd just have to drive 30 minutes or so to get there from Silverton. We also have LifeSource, which isn't whole foods, but it has good organic produce and I have gotten everything I need there. There is a Whole Foods up in Bridgeport if you really have to go there which is about 45 minutes away.
Well, this is great. This is exactly what I was hoping for...multiple suggestions / opinions giving me diff. locations to research. Good to know. Thanks so much for sharing. I really appreciate it!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
Thanks so much for responding. But now I have to ask, why did you start out by saying, "I hate to say this..."? Makes me wonder if something is 'wrong' with Bend ...and to answer your last q. No children (as I mentioned in my post), but lots of family and friends we would love to have for visits. We also work out of our home so we would have space specifically for that...and well, just as I mentioned, this is our "dream house" so a little bit of extra space to settle into for the next chapter of our lives just appeals to us. It's actually quite cozy for a 5,000 sq. ft. house. Thanks for your suggestion...I will surely check into it.
It's that you wouldn't be the first Southern Californian to "discover" Bend, move there, and build a house that locals (even well-off locals) would never in a million years be able to afford. But it's true that you would fit in, since many before you have paved the way.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
Oh joy, another aristocratic SOuthern Californian going to Bend... Don't mind the dirty stares from the local yocals.. Just tell them your from Nevada.. No hard feelings then. I hate to say it but I feel Californians destroyed that town. Yeah, they got their giant palaces on Awbrey Butte and their exquisite golf courses and resorts that are off-limits to everyone else. They drove the housing market to disaster and brought in their stuck-up, holier-than-thou attitudes with them. Bend, is like a mix of a sterile California suburb with a disgruntled and poor Oregon logging/mountain town. The last thing Bend needs now is another 5000 sq ft mansion and Mercedes SUV driving the streets. I live in Hood RIver and can feel the vibe of the aristocratic California yuppies that infest this town too.

Not all Californians are bad, but there is a certain element of them that I wish wouldn't be here.

Anyway, I need to escape this place before all the wealthy Californians drive Oregon into the ground more than it already has been.

Sorry, preshiesgirl if you think I am being condescending, but once you settle in Bend, Hood River, Ashland, West Hills of POrtland, etc and build your 5000 sq ft palace for the two of you (minus kids of course) , you will see a lot of people who have lived in Oregon most/all of our lives will have these same feelings towards you. If that bothers you, Arizona and Nevada don't seem to have these issues like Oregon or any other NW state does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon