Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,417 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been researching Astoria for some time, and it seems really great. I am seriously considering moving there in the future (mainly based on its average temperatures), but first I have some questions...

I HATE heat and humidity, but I don't like freezing cold too much either. I'd like to know:

-is Astoria humid during the spring/summer?

-Also, what is the economy like? Are there any businesses or is it more like a resort area? If it's a touristy town, how far is the nearest big town?

Thank you very much!!!!
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
In the Winter/Spring/Fall Astoria is foggy, cold winds, and gets the brunt of any incoming winter storms off the ocean.

During the summer it's very nice as those same cold winds keep the heat down. But on the other hand summer is tourist season. Expect the town to get mobbed on weekends with RVs, camp trailers and fishing boats.

Astoria is the big town, Portland is the next big city. As a city it's done a good job recovering from the failing cannery industries, but does rely heavily on tourism.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Astoria and Warrenton have a fair amount of shopping but not too much. Fred Meyer, Safeway and Costco are your Grocery choices for the most part. You do not have to go all the way to Portland to get some 'real' shopping. Down Hwy 30 to Longview is Wal Mart, Winco and a lot more choices as far as retail and grocery shopping. We make the drive atleast once a month usually about every two to three weeks to go hit Winco and Wal Mart. If you are a Oregon resident you don't have to pay sales tax in Washington either.

Wal Mart is trying hard to get into Warrenton area but Astoria is blocking it so far, but maybe in the future it will get in and then you won't have to go to Longview to go to Wal Mart.

Astoria is a old tourist town for the most part. It s quaint and cute and has a small town atmosphere if that is what you want. If you live here you better like storms and wind, rain and fog. It doesnt happen everyday but we get a lot of it but in reality it is not bad. The days are beautiful make up for it all. If this area had perfect weather it would be a huge resort community.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Well, given your climate preferences, you might like Astoria.

Certainly not hot and humid, just about ever. Cold, grey, and dark? Yes, probably about 7-8 months a year. But it is a highly scenic area.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,417 times
I don't mind grey and dark. Now, cold, I'm a little iffy on. How cold are the winds in the winter/spring/fall? And does it get very icy?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Unlike the Willamette Valley, which has very pleasant dry sunny weather in summer and fall, the coast is fairly humid all year round. It's rarely below 50% rh, and often above 90% rh (even in summer, when it's frequently foggy). Drier conditions are most prevalent in fall. But as the coastal vegetation shows, the air is seldom dry for very long (hence all the fuchsias, ferns, hydrangeas and other humidity-loving plants).

Many people look at temperature charts for the coast and fail to realize how air movement and humidity influence human comfort. Weather stations that show Humidex readings will often state that the ambient temperature is, for example, 56F, but feels like 48F.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,348 times
Hello I have recently got a job offer in Astoria, and I would like to know is there racism in Astoria? Are the people friendly to non-whites? I have just looked at city-data, and it does not seem very diverse. I do not want to work anywhere that I might not be welcome.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Astoria is a seaport. You will meet ship crews from all over the world, or you won't, depending on where you hang out. How many languages do you speak? I don't know where you are from, but your adjustment problems are more likely to be social than racial. Plus, have you ever lived on the North Pacific Coast?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
This thread caught my curiosity, and I looked as some climate data.

Summer highs in the high 60s (actually pretty good for the Oregon coast).
Less than one day of 90 degrees per year, so not hot very often.
34 days of frost.
194 days of measurable rain.
4.2 inches of snow a year.

Seems like the only negative is the wet, stormy winters, which probably drag on. But for some, that might be just fine.

I have never been up to Astoria. I hope to one day.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceandBlessings83 View Post
Hello I have recently got a job offer in Astoria, and I would like to know is there racism in Astoria? Are the people friendly to non-whites? I have just looked at city-data, and it does not seem very diverse. I do not want to work anywhere that I might not be welcome.
The area is mostly white and I am white so take this response with a grain of salt... but I do not get the feeling racism is a problem in the area. It doesn't matter where you are you will run into racism to some extent but I would not worry about it around Astoria.

My advice would be to take alteast a week and visit Astoria and the surrounding area and see what kind of feel you get before making the commitment to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: