Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snssewell View Post
Oh I was hoping someone would say fresh produce. Its horrible here and I was telling my husband maybe it will be better in Oregon with it being so much farmland over on that side of the country.
You'll find plenty of fresh produce...Hermiston is known for its watermelons. There are a lot of Walla Walla sweet onions grown (Walla Walla isn't far away), potatoes, sugar beets, canola, wheat. (A large portion of McDonald's french fries are grown and processed in the area.) Shoot, just about any thing grows there as long as they can get water to it, and believe me, they try hard. You won't see too many more irrigated areas in this nation as there. A lot of farms and ranches in the area also so good fresh beef isn't a problem to get along with buffalo. It's leaner than beef and very good...you'll have to try a buffalo burger there.

Unfortunately, you'll probably notice that prices in general are higher there than in TN...but at least you don't have sales tax. It is nice to pay what is actually the price.

Quote:
Oh I was hoping someone would say fresh produce. Its horrible here and I was telling my husband maybe it w
Don't know what happened with the above mess I obviously tried to quote but didn't finish...I don't drink, but you'd never know looking at that! The only excuse I have is that is was past 2 a.m.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
Quote:
Hi,
This might be an odd question, but we are most likely being stationed at Umatilla Chemical Depot in OR and we are a mixed couple (African-American and German) and we are wondering what would be a good place for us to live since there is no on-post housing and we will have to live off post. We want to live somewhere not too far away from the Depot, but somewhere where we all feel comfortable.
The husband said that Kennewick WA sounds promising as far as bi-racial couples and it is not too far away. We have always been around military installations so it was never an issue, but this seems to be a small post/depot. Any feedback would be appreciated.
We live in TN now and definitely looking forward to moving on the other side of the country and I know I will love it there as I don't like the hot weather in the south he he he!
Thanks in advance

I was just reading that they were shutting down the Umatilla Chemical Depot. Not sure why they would station you there. Gearing up for shutdown - East Oregonian: News

Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM

15 posts, read 21,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
I was just reading that they were shutting down the Umatilla Chemical Depot. Not sure why they would station you there. Gearing up for shutdown - East Oregonian: News
Yes they are shutting it down and we were supposed to go there so the husband will help shutting down. However, as everything with the military, it has changed again. We had our orders to Umatilla and put our house for sale and then all of a sudden an email came saying that now it would not be in the best interest of the Army to move us there since they should be closing in or around August 2012. So then they said we were staying here, then they said we were going to Bamberg Germany, then they changed it again and today we got word that it will be Ft. Lewis WA again! Ugh......jeeeeez what a drama! I hope they put a sticky on that cause I really want to go to the West Coast now after looking at the area and hearing all those great things about the area.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 AM

15 posts, read 21,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Don't know what happened with the above mess I obviously tried to quote but didn't finish...I don't drink, but you'd never know looking at that! The only excuse I have is that is was past 2 a.m.!
Yeah when I clicked on the link in my email the post looked exactly like that on the board but in my email the entire post was there for me to read. Weird!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Were I you I would keep the house on the market and prepare for a move... somewhere hopefully to Joint Base Ft. Lewis/McCord. Assuming your commander isn't a jerk you will love the assignment. FYI lots of Navy personnel retire to the area around Bremerton or Whidbey Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon