U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,599,746 times

Advertisements

some guy at work the other day was talking about how it was always sunny in florida where he was from, so the girls looked good year round, but here they got fat because it was rainy most of the year b/c they had no incentive. makes sense i guess but it's not really that true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 57,185 times
I completely agree that income plays a part in obesity but that it's also more complex. For instance I know people who are in deep poverty and just want to get out and they stuff their faces and don't have the energy to take care of themselves or afford healthy foods.

I know other people who are happily impoverished by choice because they choose to live that way to follow a passion like skiing or surfing. For obvious reasons these people are never overweight ;-)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM

709 posts, read 1,180,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyChick View Post
I completely agree that income plays a part in obesity but that it's also more complex. For instance I know people who are in deep poverty and just want to get out and they stuff their faces and don't have the energy to take care of themselves or afford healthy foods.

I know other people who are happily impoverished by choice because they choose to live that way to follow a passion like skiing or surfing. For obvious reasons these people are never overweight ;-)
yeah actually lots of people in the southeast where most of the fat on the fat map is concentrated, have a hot humid climate , and also a diet full of carbs , a lot of pork, and unhealthy fats. Also the highest poverty level and lowest education levels for the most part. Not a put down, but i think it contributes for sure. If you understand nutrition through educating yourself, you might make different choices.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM

95 posts, read 155,398 times
Eating too many unhealthy foods and not exercising makes people fat Not weather

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

965 posts, read 2,317,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
Eating too many unhealthy foods and not exercising makes people fat Not weather
That's too simplistic. Weather affects behavior. Staying away from unhealthy foods is much easier when the days are long, sunny and warm. When the winter comes, dark, chilly weather makes many people crave carbohydrates and other calorie-dense foodstuffs. Researchers believe this may be an evolutionary response to low light conditions in northern climates where food is abundant in fall and scarce in winter and spring. There was a time when putting on fat in autumn was a positive survival hedge against starvation in spring.

It's also much easier to get on the bike or go for a jog when you just have to throw on some lightweight lycra or Cool-Max garments and take off. Having to "suit up" for adverse weather discourages going out at all, as does the fact that it's probably already dark by the time you get home from work. In big cities, there may be YMCA's and indoor fitness centers with extended hours, but many Oregonians don't have access to such facilities where they live.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM

9,995 posts, read 9,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
That's too simplistic. Weather affects behavior. Staying away from unhealthy foods is much easier when the days are long, sunny and warm. When the winter comes, dark, chilly weather makes many people crave carbohydrates and other calorie-dense foodstuffs. Researchers believe this may be an evolutionary response to low light conditions in northern climates where food is abundant in fall and scarce in winter and spring. There was a time when putting on fat in autumn was a positive survival hedge against starvation in spring.

It's also much easier to get on the bike or go for a jog when you just have to throw on some lightweight lycra or Cool-Max garments and take off. Having to "suit up" for adverse weather discourages going out at all, as does the fact that it's probably already dark by the time you get home from work. In big cities, there may be YMCA's and indoor fitness centers with extended hours, but many Oregonians don't have access to such facilities where they live.
Yep, this is what I am thinking too. I know I hunker down and drink too much beer in winter. It is also why the Irish spend so much time in pubs. Livens the spirits. I would also add that it is more than the absolute ability to engage in fitness, but the changes in motivation. If people get a bit depressed, it is easy to indulge, rather than to do healthier things.

I don't disagree with the arithmetic of weight management, nor the roles of other factors (culture, socioeconomic class), but I was wondering if the wetness might affect behavior, at least in part.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM

45 posts, read 67,015 times
The rain makes fatter people and the lack of sunshine sure creates ugly without fail.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM

69 posts, read 124,105 times
I exercise outdoors year round since moving to OR from FL. I have actually lost weight since moving here from hot & steamy Orlando. The mild winters here in OR make it easy to throw on a rain jacket in the winter and go for a walk or bike ride.
Also, living in a bike & pedestrian friendly town (Corvallis), has many benefits over FL which has the highest percentage of bicycle and pedestrian deaths per capita in the nation. It is so easy to get around by bicycle here. I rarely use my vehicle.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM

709 posts, read 1,180,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just wondering if our long, dark winters have anything to do with the large number of heavyset people I see.

I noticed a striking difference between Oregonians and Coloradoans when I moved here in the 1990s. Oregonians appeared much paler and heavier (and I arrived in September).

Lo and behold, I am now battling the bulge myself. I wonder if our weather has something to do with it, or is it perhaps my fondness for all this delicious Oregon pale ale?

How do Oregonians stack up on the pork-0-meter? Is it all my imagination?
well according to the map, mississippi is the fattest. there are food and lifestyle/ poverty and ethnicity factors no doubt, but in Oregon we have low altitude for most of the population, and selenium & iodine deficient soil/ water. The iodine deficiency most of us probably have, leads to at least slight thyroid deficiency as well as ovarian. those two glands play a huge role in weight and fat distribution on the body. Colorado has the lowest percent of fat people on the map- I do wonder if the relatively sunny climate and altitude have anything to do with it. Rain = usually a depressive factor= weight gain too.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM

31 posts, read 43,429 times
I highly doubt weather plays a factor. Many American's are lazy and do not eat well. Do not blame it on the weather.

Take a look at the countries that comprise of Northern Europe. Those countries have a low obesity rate, yet their climate is not "sunny."
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon