Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,712,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

And a county map for poverty (2000 data):
Google Image Result for http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2007/oct/images/07_0091_04lg.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,416,565 times
some guy at work the other day was talking about how it was always sunny in florida where he was from, so the girls looked good year round, but here they got fat because it was rainy most of the year b/c they had no incentive. makes sense i guess but it's not really that true.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,796,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think this map would be more helpful if it was over layed by poverty rate. I would bet, more than weather, that the obesity has to do with the poverty rate within that state. I am pretty sure Colorado has a lower poverty rate than Oregon.

It is a well known correlation that lower income people have much higher rates of obesity than middle and upper income people.
This is entirely true. Impoverished people in America don't have access to healthier foods because crappy, unhealthy foods are usually much cheaper in the U.S. thanks to corn and soy subsidies and other agricultural policies, and health education is not something that they have access to either. So of course they're going to be among the most unhealthy and most obese. In the case of Mississippi usually being the worst-ranked in all three categories.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM

25 posts, read 86,311 times
I completely agree that income plays a part in obesity but that it's also more complex. For instance I know people who are in deep poverty and just want to get out and they stuff their faces and don't have the energy to take care of themselves or afford healthy foods.

I know other people who are happily impoverished by choice because they choose to live that way to follow a passion like skiing or surfing. For obvious reasons these people are never overweight ;-)

Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM

95 posts, read 200,593 times
Eating too many unhealthy foods and not exercising makes people fat Not weather

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

963 posts, read 3,023,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
Eating too many unhealthy foods and not exercising makes people fat Not weather
That's too simplistic. Weather affects behavior. Staying away from unhealthy foods is much easier when the days are long, sunny and warm. When the winter comes, dark, chilly weather makes many people crave carbohydrates and other calorie-dense foodstuffs. Researchers believe this may be an evolutionary response to low light conditions in northern climates where food is abundant in fall and scarce in winter and spring. There was a time when putting on fat in autumn was a positive survival hedge against starvation in spring.

It's also much easier to get on the bike or go for a jog when you just have to throw on some lightweight lycra or Cool-Max garments and take off. Having to "suit up" for adverse weather discourages going out at all, as does the fact that it's probably already dark by the time you get home from work. In big cities, there may be YMCA's and indoor fitness centers with extended hours, but many Oregonians don't have access to such facilities where they live.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,712,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
That's too simplistic. Weather affects behavior. Staying away from unhealthy foods is much easier when the days are long, sunny and warm. When the winter comes, dark, chilly weather makes many people crave carbohydrates and other calorie-dense foodstuffs. Researchers believe this may be an evolutionary response to low light conditions in northern climates where food is abundant in fall and scarce in winter and spring. There was a time when putting on fat in autumn was a positive survival hedge against starvation in spring.

It's also much easier to get on the bike or go for a jog when you just have to throw on some lightweight lycra or Cool-Max garments and take off. Having to "suit up" for adverse weather discourages going out at all, as does the fact that it's probably already dark by the time you get home from work. In big cities, there may be YMCA's and indoor fitness centers with extended hours, but many Oregonians don't have access to such facilities where they live.
Yep, this is what I am thinking too. I know I hunker down and drink too much beer in winter. It is also why the Irish spend so much time in pubs. Livens the spirits. I would also add that it is more than the absolute ability to engage in fitness, but the changes in motivation. If people get a bit depressed, it is easy to indulge, rather than to do healthier things.

I don't disagree with the arithmetic of weight management, nor the roles of other factors (culture, socioeconomic class), but I was wondering if the wetness might affect behavior, at least in part.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM

45 posts, read 90,756 times
The rain makes fatter people and the lack of sunshine sure creates ugly without fail.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM

239 posts, read 593,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
ever heard for a nickname for Portland? Porkland? Do a google search.........Urban Dictionary: Porkland, Oregon
Portland is consistently ranked one of the fittest cities in the country. I live in Portland and New Orleans in various times of the year. The difference in the amount of obesity you see in both places is shocking. Like going from one end of the spectrum to another. Can't speak for the rest of the state, but Portland is definitely a fit city.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM

75 posts, read 185,765 times
I exercise outdoors year round since moving to OR from FL. I have actually lost weight since moving here from hot & steamy Orlando. The mild winters here in OR make it easy to throw on a rain jacket in the winter and go for a walk or bike ride.
Also, living in a bike & pedestrian friendly town (Corvallis), has many benefits over FL which has the highest percentage of bicycle and pedestrian deaths per capita in the nation. It is so easy to get around by bicycle here. I rarely use my vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon