U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 592,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
If I had your concerns, I would go for Vancouver WA. You will have the advantage of no income tax, and can run across the bridge to Portland for shopping with no sales tax. Property taxes will be a little higher but you'll still come out ahead. Personally, I'd use a lot of different criteria to determine where to live, taxes would be a minor consideration.
I know that many people do that. But I do not want to live in or near Portland or Seattle. I want to live in a smaller town of about 10,000-100,000 people.

I've had enough of the urban city life, i'm trying to escape from it. I'm living in one of the biggest metropolises on Earth right now with about 25 million people, and it's taught me that city living is NOT for me. I can't wait to get back to a slow-paced lifestyle.

Thanks for the suggestion though. If I was gonna live in Portland i'd probably do just what you said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM

963 posts, read 2,732,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
No. What makes you think that?
This kind of penny-pinching philosophy is common in the Midwest. It's the home of what I call Good Deal Culture, and your use of the term "better deal" is evocative of what you hear there on a daily basis. My Dad used to drive halfway across Des Moines to save a penny a gallon on a tankful of gas. For many Midwesterners (Minnesotans and Iowans in particular), finding "the best deal" is almost an obsessive-compulsive preoccupation that subverts overall livability and enjoyment considerations.

P.S. Have you ever been to Portland? You can live in Portland without living in "a big city." You just have to choose the right neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM

963 posts, read 2,732,806 times
Quote:
I want a liberal, small to medium sized city....
I want to live in a low tax, libertarian-style governance type of place preferably.
Either you have a split personality or somewhere in the middle of your post you must have had a stroke. Nothing could be farther from liberalism than libertarianism.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
This kind of penny-pinching philosophy is common in the Midwest. It's the home of what I call Good Deal Culture, and your use of the term "better deal" is evocative of what you hear there on a daily basis. My Dad used to drive halfway across Des Moines to save a penny a gallon on a tankful of gas. For many Midwesterners (Minnesotans and Iowans in particular), finding "the best deal" is almost an obsessive-compulsive preoccupation that subverts overall livability and enjoyment considerations.
Nope. I just don't like to throw my money away.

I've been living in Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan for the past 5 years. In all of these countries I paid low taxes and never got screwed out of large sums of money, I've gotten used to it. Never paid more than about 3% income tax in any of these places.

Being able to keep all the money you earn is a great thing.

You seem to think "penny-pinching" is a bad thing? I don't really understand that. If I work for my money I want to keep it. Seems like a reasonable philosophy to me.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Either you have a split personality or somewhere in the middle of your post you must have had a stroke. Nothing could be farther from liberalism than libertarianism.
Social-liberal, economic-Libertarian...... is it confusing?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM

758 posts, read 2,166,617 times
So you want to cheat on taxes? You might find that easier to do overseas.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
So you want to cheat on taxes? You might find that easier to do overseas.
I would hardly call it "cheating". I think you're being a bit dramatic there.

I'm just in a position where I can move anywhere, so why not choose a place where I pay low taxes? And if i'm living in a state that charges sales tax, then i'm paying taxes every time I purchase things anyway.

I lived most of my life in high tax states and i've paid into the system heavily, only to see most of my tax dollars wasted on mismanagement and corruption. Lots of our tax dollars are literally pocketed by politicians and other highly connected individuals.

I'm just a guy trying to make it in this world and survive, trying to save enough money to buy land and maybe start a family, have enough money to be covered in amedical emergency. And that means I need to watch my money. That's the way of the world.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 615,555 times
Resurrecting this thread from June! I'm interesting in hearing more about what you guys think of cost of living Oregon vs. Washington. I'm making a big move with my husband this year from a large city - we're 2 working people with Bachelor degrees, currently not doing so well in the NE. As my hubby's in Forestry, we're starting to see a pattern where forest jobs are located mostly on the west coast.

Add to that the promise of lower cost of living, lower taxes (?), better quality of life, less congestion, etc. However, the unemployment rates are quite high for both states, I'm seeing Oregon at 9.4 and Washington at 9.2 for June '11).

Quote:
I would hardly call it "cheating". I think you're being a bit dramatic there.

I'm just in a position where I can move anywhere, so why not choose a place where I pay low taxes? And if i'm living in a state that charges sales tax, then i'm paying taxes every time I purchase things anyway.

I lived most of my life in high tax states and i've paid into the system heavily, only to see most of my tax dollars wasted on mismanagement and corruption. Lots of our tax dollars are literally pocketed by politicians and other highly connected individuals.

I'm just a guy trying to make it in this world and survive, trying to save enough money to buy land and maybe start a family, have enough money to be covered in amedical emergency. And that means I need to watch my money. That's the way of the world.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 17,816,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Resurrecting this thread from June! I'm interesting in hearing more about what you guys think of cost of living Oregon vs. Washington. I'm making a big move with my husband this year from a large city - we're 2 working people with Bachelor degrees, currently not doing so well in the NE. As my hubby's in Forestry, we're starting to see a pattern where forest jobs are located mostly on the west coast.

Add to that the promise of lower cost of living, lower taxes (?), better quality of life, less congestion, etc. However, the unemployment rates are quite high for both states, I'm seeing Oregon at 9.4 and Washington at 9.2 for June '11).
You really need to focus on job opportunities in your skill set, not the overall unemployment rates.

I have lived in both states and conclude that for a given standard of living and community services there is little difference in the cost of living between Oregon and Washington. Generally speaking the cost of housing in the Seattle urban area is higher than Portland and for many that is a huge piece of the family budget... but I doubt that there are many forester jobs in either community.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,109,113 times
Based merely on the fact that I know two people with bachelors degrees in forestry, who both moved to Oregon and could not find a job, and now work in IT, I believe you're going to have a bit of a hard time finding positions. Oregon Department of Forestry Oregon Department of Forestry is Oregon State's Forestry Job Site.

if you look there, the forestry department has four job openings, one in IT, two assistant park rangers and one environmental engineer.

Forestry and Natural Resources Jobs Listing | jobs.forestry.uga.edu

Logging and forestry jobs - B.C., USA & Canada

Are a couple of other resources. Good luck, and get the job first before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon