Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,508,285 times

Advertisements

Now that summer is (finally) upon us, I was wondering what your favotire state parks are for camping or day trips. We may all benefit.

As for me, on the beach I prefer Beverly Beach. Good beach access and centrally located.

We also enjoy LaPine state park. Large camp sites with electricity. LOTS of things to do in the area for nearly anyone's lweverl of interest. They are also rarely filled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,014,900 times
Tough question! Woah!
Hmmm....

Inland camping I'd prolly say so far for us Waldo is our favorite spot but you have to time it just right or you'll catch heck with the mosquito's. Salt Creek Falls area, Crater Lake (of course!), Silver Falls (near Salem) and we really like Whiteaker Creek (but it's not a state park). We have only been in Oregon about 8 years so we still have so much to learn and explore. This summer we're going to check out Salmon Creek Falls area near Oakridge, we've had several people who are familiar with that area tell us it's the best place to cool off in the summer.

Coastal.... oh geez BP! I love too many of the Oregon Coast state parks. It's almost easier to list the few I do not like, because there are only a very small few: Devil's Lake and Tugman. They are both OK but IMO they are too close to hwy 101 and too loud. I like quiet, but we can't seem to relax and find the peace at those two parks. Honeyman - which we love - is also one we only really go to during the off-season (it's nice in September/October), we don't go during the summer because it's too crowded. We generally stay away from the loops in campgrounds, too, that have a lot of RV'ers and quads/dunebuggies because of the noise. We love LOVE love the yurts at Washburne and the cabins at Cape Blanco. Fort Stevens is amazing and no matter how many times we go we discover something new. I want to spend more time in the Nehalem Bay area - there was a feeling there that I couldn't quite describe that is calling me back.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,508,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Tough question! Woah!
Hmmm....

Inland camping I'd prolly say so far for us Waldo is our favorite spot but you have to time it just right or you'll catch heck with the mosquito's. Salt Creek Falls area, Crater Lake (of course!), Silver Falls (near Salem) and we really like Whiteaker Creek (but it's not a state park). We have only been in Oregon about 8 years so we still have so much to learn and explore. This summer we're going to check out Salmon Creek Falls area near Oakridge, we've had several people who are familiar with that area tell us it's the best place to cool off in the summer.

Coastal.... oh geez BP! I love too many of the Oregon Coast state parks. It's almost easier to list the few I do not like, because there are only a very small few: Devil's Lake and Tugman. They are both OK but IMO they are too close to hwy 101 and too loud. I like quiet, but we can't seem to relax and find the peace at those two parks. Honeyman - which we love - is also one we only really go to during the off-season (it's nice in September/October), we don't go during the summer because it's too crowded. We generally stay away from the loops in campgrounds, too, that have a lot of RV'ers and quads/dunebuggies because of the noise. We love LOVE love the yurts at Washburne and the cabins at Cape Blanco. Fort Stevens is amazing and no matter how many times we go we discover something new. I want to spend more time in the Nehalem Bay area - there was a feeling there that I couldn't quite describe that is calling me back.
Yeah, I realize ouor state parks are quite nice, but I was hoping we might find some gems that may not be mainstream or maybe some aspect of one few people know about.

Many people I know also love Waldo. I'll check it out this summer.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,614,001 times
The gem of the Oregon State Park system is Oswald West, named after the governor who established the state park system and made the beaches free for all Oregonians. It's between Canon Beach and Tillamook, and you have to walk in. The only thing you see from 101 is the parking lot. It includes Cape Falcon, Short Sands Beach and Neahkahnie Mountain. Tent camping only, and they closed the campground because one of the big old growth spruce fell over. They are concerned for camper safety. I don't know if the campground has reopened.

Oswald West State Park, it's the place to be
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM

504 posts, read 2,171,442 times
We usually avoid state parks if we can, but that said, the parks on the coast, IMO are the best! The only ones I've been to here are Emigrant Springs, which is WAY too close to the interstate, Hat Rock, and Wallowa Lake, which is beautiful, but will be crowded this time of year. Well worth a drive over though, if you've never been there! The nearby town of Joseph even offers plenty of shopping and restaurants if that's what you like...

When we lived in Medford, Hyatt Lake has a great BLM campground, and Howard Prairie Lake is nearby. If you go there, Tub Springs SP is a must-see. Fill up your water container there! We also spent many days at Lake of the Woods, and loved Tokatee Falls, Rogue River Gorge, and Natural Bridge. Of course Crater lake too! There's some beautiful falls along the Umpqua, East of Roseburg. Love hiking up Pilot Rock, the back side of Mt Ashland, any stretch of the PCT, tried to hike to the top of Mt McLoughlin, but didn't quite make it... Redwoods, Smith River (a few nice campground down there) coast of course...

Further North, one of my favorite places is Odel Lake, and the 3 Sisters Area.

A Washington State park that I'm super-eager to visit is Columbia Hills State Park, to see the petroglyphs. Has anyone been there? Even though I go there regularly, I still haven't been to Sacajawea SP in Tri-Cities. Want to go there too.... Hat Rock SP is a neat place close to us now, but just day use. You can walk on the Lewis and Clark trial right along the Columbia River though... beautiful!

Such an incredibly beautiful state we live in!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,017,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The gem of the Oregon State Park system is Oswald West, named after the governor who established the state park system and made the beaches free for all Oregonians. It's between Canon Beach and Tillamook, and you have to walk in. The only thing you see from 101 is the parking lot. It includes Cape Falcon, Short Sands Beach and Neahkahnie Mountain. Tent camping only, and they closed the campground because one of the big old growth spruce fell over. They are concerned for camper safety. I don't know if the campground has reopened.

Oswald West State Park, it's the place to be
Oswald West is a favorite of mine for forested area. Found a Spruce there recently, without really a lot of effort, that's within like just 40 AF points of the new Oregon Champion which replaced the Klootchy Tree. Photo attached ...

For camping, playing around and walking the beach though, Nehalem Bay State Park is our family favorite. Dunes, sand, short forest and a lot of paved trail for children to ride bikes. I like the adjacent Manzanita too. Both parks are very close though, and sometimes I'm in both on the same trip to the coast.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,014,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Many people I know also love Waldo. I'll check it out this summer.
Mosquito's I hear via the news are just starting to wake up. We usually camp Waldo in the fall because when the temp starts going back down, that's when you have the best shot at not being eaten alive. By Mosquito's, anyway. We've found you either need to go early summer or late summer/early fall. This year the snow was still packed three feet high at the entrance to Waldo as recently as mid-May! We thought we'd go to Waldo just for the day so we drove out there but we couldn't make it in... Don't know if they've plowed the road yet or not?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,426,418 times
Nehalem Bay or Barview Jetty for coast camping.
Barview for fishing etc, it's not the prettiest park, but it's fun.

For summer bigfoot/sasquatch expeditions, we head up into the deep forest way above Estacada, and camp where we please.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM

17,615 posts, read 22,567,169 times
Valley of the ROgue State Park is reel nice.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,981 times
Not quite a state park, but I'm a fan of the Fremont Forest for camping. It used to be free to camp until a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon