U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 16,502 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are looking to make a move to Oregon in the next couple of years. Initially, I was thinking about the coast, but now I've heard that the John Day/Prairie City/Sumpter area is gorgeous.
What can anyone tell me about these towns? I know that jobs are probably few and far between, but what about the schools, housing and the like.
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 20,178 times
Default Picturesque Prairie City

Prairie City is a rural town at the foot of the spectacular Strawberry Mountain Range. We regularly see bald eagles, deer and other wildlife from our living room window. As amazing as that is, we are also within walking distance of the grocery store, drug store, video store, restaurants, wireless net-friendly coffee shop and other town conveniences. There are cultural events such as Arts in the Park in the summmer and Christmas on the Prairie which are great ways to spend some time with the neighbors and catch up on what's going on. The town also hosts Grant County's Fourth of July Celebration complete with fireworks, the Grant County Cruisers' Classic Car Show, and in the past has been the hub for the Cycle Oregon event. There are an abundance of outdoor activities including fishing and hunting, geocaching, hiking, skiing, backpacking and wilderness camping amongst the beautiful sub-alpine lakes. You can get a permit at the local Ranger Station so that you can go out and find that perfect fresh Christmas tree. The sun shines most of the time. The John Day River Valley floor gets a small amount of snow while the surrounding peaks are frosted with thick powder! Summers are amazing too! There are several B&Bs and a campground right in town for visitors. Crime is still rare here. Prairie City retains the ambiance of the classic American small town while also having the necessities of modern life such as DSL, cable TV and safe schools. Eastern Oregon University offers a few classes a semester in nearby John Day. Obviously we think it's awesome but it's Oregon, so we would actually prefer that no one else knows! Check this out http://www.prairiecityoregon.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Info on Prairie City or Sumpter?-our-front-yard.jpg   Info on Prairie City or Sumpter?-autumn-prairie-city.jpg   Info on Prairie City or Sumpter?-sunset-strawberries.jpg  

Last edited by Werners; 03-31-2007 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,730,386 times
You've got quite a view out your front door. I like that mountain. Now I'll need to go look up Prairie City to see what I've missed out on.

Thanks for the pictures.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 16,502 times
Thanks for the great, informative post Werners ... I was especially pleased to see someone answer after so long. I was beginning to think that we shouldn't be looking at the area.
I feel in love with that mountain range through the picture on the city Web site. So, so gorgeous.
We had decided to look at buying property in Astoria -- but we are pretty much priced out of that market now. I could see myself definitely being happy in Prairie City. I'll have to hop on some realty Web sites this week. I know they are both so different, but equally beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost of living there like? It does look like jobs might be hard to come by.
Thanks again. You made my day.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,388 times
Default John Day area

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieh View Post
Hello!
We are looking to make a move to Oregon in the next couple of years. Initially, I was thinking about the coast, but now I've heard that the John Day/Prairie City/Sumpter area is gorgeous.
What can anyone tell me about these towns? I know that jobs are probably few and far between, but what about the schools, housing and the like.
Thanks so much.
-------------
I live in WA but play several times a year in that area. It is really beautiful. Wooded on the hills and plenty of open 'ranch' land everywhere. It has osme of the best in the world river fishing for small mouth bass. The river is small and can be wading in some area's. Hunting is great for many big game animals.
People are friendly and open.Float trips on the river is great fun and there are areas of 30 plus miles of wilderness and no acess by roads. Most of the lower river that we use is in open country. little or no trees. plenty of history in the area. millions in gold taken in early days. Good luck
jerry

Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 15,243 times
Here's some info on John Day/Canyon city, just a few miles west of Prarie City:

I live in Canyon City, a mile down the road from John Day - we, and many other ex-Californians have relocated here for the vast variety of scenery, great fishing and hunting, and LOOOOOW home and property prices.

Last edited by Waterlily; 04-10-2007 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: link is off topic

Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 20,178 times
Hey Marieh,

I feel a little weird about posting a reply because shortly after that last one my husband, who is a federal employee, was reassigned to western Washington. This is why it's weird. We love eastern Oregon. Our friends and our community "family" are there but we have had to put our house up for sale so that we can buy one in western Washington.

However, here are the answers to your questions.

The "cost of living" is less than in major urban areas on the west coast. For example, view property with 2 bd/1 ba could be around $120.000 or less. There are not many stores. Groceries are easy enough to find with a nice little store in Prairie City and a larger full-service type store 13 miles away in John Day. We also would go to Baker City to shop and just hang out, 80 miles away. We used to go on shopping trips to Bend (no sales tax) or Boise about 3 times a year to look around and get whatever we decided we needed to see before we got it online. There is DSL in Prairie City so the internet is ready and available through the local phone company.

Jobs. My husband had a full-time permanent position with the USDA in Prairie City. I worked seasonal positions for the feds or state as a technician in archeology or history type stuff. It totally depends on what kind of work you do. There are great opportunities within certain fields and then there are probably none in others. There are several minimum wage jobs that are frequently advertised at the grocery store in John Day or at various locally owned businesses. If you are an entrepreneurial type that works over the internet or can go it on your own, this might totally be the place for you. There are many people living out there selling handcrafted and locally made items on the internet. (I'm not sure what the rules are on city-data so I hesitate to be very specific as far as business names, etc.)

Bottom line. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. Our house had the most beautiful view of anyplace that I have ever lived and we are still talking about the "what ifs" of what if my husband would have been offered the same kind of career promotion in Prairie City. We would have stayed; no qestions asked, period.

It is absolutely worth it and beautiful.

The Werners

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieh View Post
Thanks for the great, informative post Werners ... I was especially pleased to see someone answer after so long. I was beginning to think that we shouldn't be looking at the area.
I feel in love with that mountain range through the picture on the city Web site. So, so gorgeous.
We had decided to look at buying property in Astoria -- but we are pretty much priced out of that market now. I could see myself definitely being happy in Prairie City. I'll have to hop on some realty Web sites this week. I know they are both so different, but equally beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost of living there like? It does look like jobs might be hard to come by.
Thanks again. You made my day.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,944 times
I lived in Prairie city for one year, and I went crazy. That town is boring!!!! Everyone knows one another and they gossip way too much. There is only about 800 people in that town. Its beautiful, but very secluded and boring

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,239 times
Default 1960's Prairie City

I was born in Prairie City in 1960 as we were passing through from Walla Walla to Seneca and I was wondering if anyone had any information on what it was like back then. Population, history, stuff like that. Thanks, Cathi [EMAIL="pisteuotheos@yahoo.com"]pisteuotheos@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
Exclamation Beware beware beware!!!!

Beware of this town Sumpter and surrounding area. Move in at your own parrel!!!!

If you are determined to move to this area, make sure you live there at least 6 months BEFORE you buy property or a business until you see what lives there and what they are like or you'll be sorry, like so many others.

Be ready to pack and leave in the middle of the night like so many others have and many WISHED they could.

Older & Wiser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon