Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM

218 posts, read 374,729 times

Advertisements

I am done some research ( and future scheduling) I would love to find out if there are any apartments or duplex homes near Bennett Pearson Charter school the address is 1687 Summer St. NE Salem OR 97301. close enough so my daughter could safely walk to and from school would be great. I know its near the capitol building like 2 blocks away. But something really close would be wonderful.

I posted this in the Portland Forum and was advised to post here. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM

15,496 posts, read 40,201,810 times
Yeah the school is in Salem, not in Portland. There are a lot of apartments/houses for rent in the area, but I personally wouldn't let my kid walk by themselves to school there. There are some really busy streets on the way to that school and I just don't think it is appropriate for an elementary aged kid to be walking across them.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Thank you for the reply. The information was extremely helpful. I use Googlemaps and I can see that the streets are main roads. I am sure I have time to find other families or moms that take their kids to school and I could have them take my daughter. I think when I visit Oregon in September I am going to scout around the schools I am interested in and then go from there. Thank you once again. I am hoping I get to stay in Salem and not Portland. I'm sure the drive is hectic as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

That charter school is just opening this year. If it is full, then you will have to place your daughter's name on the lottery list.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Yeah my best friend just put her 2 daughters in there. I am sure by the time I get there in 12/13 school year they will be full. I have all the paperwork to put her in on the waiting list. I am trying to prepare my self. Glad they finally opened a Micro Society school.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
Yeah my best friend just put her 2 daughters in there. I am sure by the time I get there in 12/13 school year they will be full. I have all the paperwork to put her in on the waiting list. I am trying to prepare my self. Glad they finally opened a Micro Society school.

There are 4 more charter schools in process too. 2 high schools, one middle, and one more elementary. With the crazy class sizes in Salem public, I am sure the lottery will be fierce come then. I know for the two Charter middle schools we have now, which get exceptional ratings from the state, the lottery is like 600 students for 30 spots.

I don't know what the focus of the new elementary charter will be, but I think it will be up and running by then.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Yeah for now Bennett is the only micro-society charter school. There are many charter schools and private schools and yes the Lottery system gets difficult. The things we do for our childrens education right? Do you think the schools in Salem are better than the ones in Portland or surrounding areas? I want to visit schools that have high ratings and go from there. Your information is indeed helpful

Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
Yeah for now Bennett is the only micro-society charter school. There are many charter schools and private schools and yes the Lottery system gets difficult. The things we do for our childrens education right? Do you think the schools in Salem are better than the ones in Portland or surrounding areas? I want to visit schools that have high ratings and go from there. Your information is indeed helpful

Salem Keizer has significant monetary issues. I pulled my kids out and we are starting in private school this fall. Parts of Portland have better schools, like the west hills, other parts Salem is better. Class sizes are going to be huge and I don't think anything beside babysitting happens when class sizes hit 30 in elementary schools. They have an additional $20million to cut for the 12/13 school year.

In Salem the elementary schools with the highest ratings are Clear Lake (Keizer), Schirle, Candalaria, Sumpter, McKinley and Rosedale (will close after 11/12 year), all in south Salem. Chapman Hills out west also has high ratings, but the boundaries are all changing in west Salem due to a new elementary school opening in the fall. Not sure how many teachers have shifted around out there.

My kids went to Schirle and I was generally happy with the quality of the teaching. We had one mediocre teacher there and the others were good to exceptional.

Some of the highest rated schools in the state are in the west hills of Portland and the Lake Oswego area. Beaverton has traditionally had solid schools as well, but they are facing serious budget shortfalls like Salem. Salem cut librarians for next year and I know Beaverton was considering the same thing. I'm not sure what they ended up doing.

I'm not sure the point of your relocation, but I wouldn't be moving to Oregon for a strong public education system.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM

I looked at Clear Lake that name sounded familiar. We are moving from Arizona ( the heat) need i say more? just kidding, job relocation and just a better Nature atmosphere for our kids. I raised my daughter my self and she is in the Gifted program here in Arizona she is in the top 98% of her grade level and she never stepped foot into a day care or preschool I taught her on my own and actually paid attention to her. Some parents rely on schools to teach them alone, but it needs to be more than that. There are many charter schools here but I don't like the state over all. I will take down those schools you mentioned and take them into consideration when we are out there. My friend lives in Keizer and loves it, I was looking at Portland and surrounding for jobs but I was torn between both areas for schools. Because we will be moving out there as new I don't want to buy yet till we find our ' home" so to speak. We have a 2 year old and a 7 year old, plus if we continue to be the parents they need to succeed in life, we can afford to not have a " Harvard" type school but private school does sound appealing.

Even in Arizona lay offs are happening and schools are not excelling like they should. I come from California ( grew up there 20 years of my life) and the schools are ahead compared to Arizona schools. I think any where we go it will be a boggle debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon