U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,779,544 times
There are also prisons in Ontario and McMinnville. I'm not sure how a parole officer fits into the whole scheme of things, so I don't know you'd be interacting with prisoners pre-release or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 AM

6,550 posts, read 7,147,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earythoughts View Post
My field of study is that of the parole officer.
I predict that the parolee population will increase. Speaking street Spanish will still be advantageous.

Again, NAIL DOWN the job first!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,325 times
I live in Medford and it is a fine place. But, if I was your age I would definitely make Portland or Bend my first two choices. Both cities have a vitality and energy that is contagious. Bend gets the nod for the scenery, lakes, hiking and wildlife. It also holds its own on the social front. There are "first Fridays", art walks, and music festivals almost non-stop. Portland has the excellent eats, big-name entertainment any night of the week and a quirkiness that is very appealing. It also has the downsides of big-city traffic and more crime than Bend. You can't go wrong in either place. If I was you I'd flip a coin, then high-tail it to Bend.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM

223 posts, read 112,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick390 View Post
I live in Medford and it is a fine place. But, if I was your age I would definitely make Portland or Bend my first two choices. Both cities have a vitality and energy that is contagious. Bend gets the nod for the scenery, lakes, hiking and wildlife. It also holds its own on the social front. There are "first Fridays", art walks, and music festivals almost non-stop. Portland has the excellent eats, big-name entertainment any night of the week and a quirkiness that is very appealing. It also has the downsides of big-city traffic and more crime than Bend. You can't go wrong in either place. If I was you I'd flip a coin, then high-tail it to Bend.
I'd avoid Bend if being a swinging single is your lifestyle choice. Bend somehow evokes the appearance of having a cool social life, but if you look closely, it's primarily families, seniors, and boomers with $. There is a tiny slice on the west side near the college who may fit that "social single" crowd, but you'll just end up being frustrated with the smallness of the crowd. Yes, those festivals and art walks are cool, but it's mainly a social event for people who already know each other. Not a lot of "mixing." Not a lot of "hey, I'm single, educated, in my 20s, and looking to hang!" That's Portland or Eugene.

That said, yes, the scenery, hiking, biking, snowboarding, skiing, camping, etc., is superior in Bend as compared to anywhere else in the state.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,309 times
Factoring out the job (which won't be an option), Bend seems a bit too touristy and snowy for me. I wouldn't know a single person in the state so I think I'd need the bigger cities to find clubs/groups and such to join. From reading this site for days, it seems like Portland would be be ideal for everything except the small town feel. Portland is much smaller than I'm accustomed to (Dallas Ft Worth being twice the size) and I'm sure I won't have to drive far to get my nature fix. Where I live now, I have to drive an hour to the closest Texas State Park.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

223 posts, read 112,338 times
Portland is definitely right up your alley. 40 minutes and you're in the Mount Hood wilderness. And with 2 million people in the metro area, you could find a hobby group or social scene to fit any mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon