U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 AM

59 posts, read 67,076 times

Advertisements

Are there places in Oregon where the summers get HOT? By hot I mean mid90's and above. If you could tell me those hot spots, I'd know where to avoid. (I understand anyplace can get to 95 once ina while... but some places (where I live now) can get there and stay there for two months. I cant take that kind of heat. Where should I steer clear of? (I'm looking around the outskirts of both Eugene and Portland). Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM

12,268 posts, read 12,507,549 times
The only part of Oregon that stays below 90 in the summer is the coast. However, the evenings cool off quickly, and the humidity is generally low. Most people like to have air conditioning, but after dark and until 10 AM or so, you don't need it.

Summers are also pretty variable. This year has been cool. Temperatures over 90, at least on the west side, have been rare. On the other extreme, 1996 was particularly hot. Where I live, we had 25 days over 100 degrees, and a day under 90 in July or August was rare.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM

1,718 posts, read 3,638,196 times
I don't know of anyone's home along the coast having A/C. I don't know if even the businesses do other than a blower fan to circulate the air. Sometimes we hit the high of 70s.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM

59 posts, read 67,076 times
Oh Boy. The coast is where my heart is ... but my daughter loves her horses and they are moving with us. I think this is called "between a rock and a hard place." Or rather, between the waves and a hot spot.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 7 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,364,319 times
This is a very good question and something I have wondered about a lot.

I have lived at the coast most of my life in S. Cal. (Hermosa Beach) and now live in Colorado Springs. In each area there have been 'micro climates.' The beach was 'normally' the coolest place to be (pun intended). In Colorado Springs micro climates exist in the city and suburbs. If you go north toward Denver there is more snow in the winter, go south and it gets hotter, etc...

So all this talk about Portland always being X and the Coast always being Y just sounds too over simplified. C'mon, there have to be 'some' micro climates between the coast and downtown Portland right?

Larry illuded to the west side as if to say it stays a bit cooler than the east side of Portland. Normally the closer you get to the coast the cooler it gets.

So with micro climates in mind, how about places like Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Sheridan - places a bit closer to the coast? Are they not a bit cooler during heatwaves? Or am I crazy and there is really some geographical invisible line where everything is cool on one side and hot on the other? I know there are some Mtns. and hills in between the coast and the city. But it can't all be exactly the same, or is it?

Thanks,

- Derek

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

59 posts, read 245,555 times
How about somewhere like Philometh or Independence or Monmouth? Those are all very small towns near Corvallis. Less than an hour from the gorgeous coast, but very horsey. I strongly recommend Corvallis and only wish we could live there! (We live in Seattle.)

It gets hot occasionally in the Willamette Valley, but I don't think it could be considered a place with hot summers, relative to the vast majority of the US. It's the kind of place where if you get one of those a/c units and hook it up at your house it will get you through the few weeks of hot weather. It's really very bearable and doesn't last long, I promise! It isn't like Texas, the midwest, the southwest, Florida, or the entire eastern/southeastern seaboard where summer drags on for months and months. And it is neither super dry or humid. Just kind of summery, you know?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 PM

59 posts, read 245,555 times
Derek-

My parents lived in Hillsboro. It's really just a Portland suburb, but the weather is surprisingly different because of a big bunch of hills that separate it from the city. They actually get noticeably less rain than Hillsboro. It's the banana belt or something like that. I can't recall if it is warmer, cooler, or the same, heat-wise. Sorry.

It's kind of hard to describe why the weather in the valley is so different than the coast, which is usually only about an hour (or less) away from any given point down the I-5 corridor. But the two are just so different. The valley is mostly farmland up against various hills. Then going west you get a very thick forest, sometimes misty. (Kind of like what a person would imagine Oregon would look like if they'd never been there.) Then you have the coast. So there is just a major topography change between the two. There also aren't a lot of towns in between the Willamette Valley and the coast of any size or industry, at least that I know of.

I lived all over the Willamette Valley (Corvallis, Salem, Portland) and I never thought of it as a "hot" place. It gets hot for a little while in the summer. But that's just summer to me. It isn't like months on end or anything. And I'm a total wimp about heat.

I would hazard a guess that you're right about Forest Grove and nearby places being slightly more moderate than Pdx. But I can't say for sure.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM

12,268 posts, read 12,507,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
Oh Boy. The coast is where my heart is ... but my daughter loves her horses and they are moving with us. I think this is called "between a rock and a hard place." Or rather, between the waves and a hot spot.
What is the problem with the coast and horses? Pastures stay green year round, and the salt water is GREAT for their hooves. Riding on the beach is great fun. Some campgrounds, like Bullard Beach north of Bandon, even maintain horse camps.

Give the horses a single slope shed open on the lee side, a dry floor and hay feeder, and they will be in horse heaven.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 124,810 times
I'm from Medford...I think everyone knows it gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. If you HATE heat, I would suggest moving to the Oregon coast, wonderfully cool weather there, guarenteed. Wind can be a problem for some people. How about next to a river (maybe the McKenzie up in Springfield), that would be pleasant.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 7 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,364,319 times
Thanks Kittyhox,

My wife and I are just like sandybeaches in that we do not like 'Hot.' So it is good to hear your perspective on the weather and various climates throughout the area.

- Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or