U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM

167 posts, read 186,307 times
Default Good places to hobby farm, are there any spots I've forgotten?

I've pretty much given up that oregon land is too expensive to pick up around 10 acres and a decent 3 bed house and a barn for 150k, but maybe someone can suggest an area I haven't checked.

I'm looking for green rolling hills and *some* wooded areas, nothing eastern enough for sagebrush. Coastal woods could work if I had some cleared spots.
I'm a stay at home mom, hubby needs a hospital or ambulance company to work for (paramedic) within about 40 minutes. Douglas county is right out. Been there, done that, my cousin can inherit that house for all I care.

I'm *thisclose* to converting from an Oregonian to a Missourian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,499,568 times
I lived in Roseburg for three years and have to say you shouldn't head out to Missouri just yet. There's possibilities in Douglas County...

Due to the collapse of the timber industry, the implosion of the housing market, and the downturn of the state and national economy, there's a good chance you could bargain the price of listings like the following down to what you want:

River Front Acreage Home (http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/reb/2517147078.html - broken link)

Price Reduced by $10,000 - Mini Farm for sale on 10 Acres (http://roseburg.craigslist.org/reo/2489603567.html - broken link)

Idyllic 11.28 Acre Farm (http://roseburg.craigslist.org/reb/2461776948.html - broken link)

Sellers out there are pretty desperate everywhere. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM

167 posts, read 186,307 times
Anywhere besides Douglas county, my estranged psychotic father lives in one of the small towns out that way.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM

883 posts, read 1,107,471 times
You mentioned in another thread that you lived in the Salem before and liked it. What about looking around Sheridan (NW of Salem), Mehama (SE) or Scio (SE) or Falls City (W)? I don't know the variety of the land well or the current prices for what you are after; but, if you want to hear some names to double-check you've already considered or eliminated them, those are a few. Or between Alsea and Monroe. Is south or west of Grants Pass too close to Douglas County for your tastes?

Sounds like eastern Oregon is unlikely to be your choice but would you have any interest in checking out Weston south of Milton-Freewater OR and Walla Walla, WA? Or near LaGrande (like Elgin or Union)?

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-05-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM

10,679 posts, read 16,967,492 times
Willamina and Sheridan and potentially Idanha and Mill City in the Salem area would be your best bets for this area anyway. They don't come up often but if you are patient and wait you can find something. Would probably need some work but should be liveable, but just dated with some deferred maintenance.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,380,778 times
My family farmed heavily around Coos Bay/Coquille/Myrtle Point/Bandon area. Coos Bay and Coquille both have hospitals. You should be able to pick up a couple of acres within 5 miles of one of those four cities in your price range. Most likely it'll be a foreclosure though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon