Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM

146 posts, read 453,504 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I'm from Southern New England and I'm considering a move to Corvallis. I was wondering what others who have gone before me have experienced in their transition from the East Coast to Oregon. What surprised you, both good and bad? What did you wish you knew beforehand? What advice would you give someone who's considering the move?

One caveat - I come from an expensive part of New England so the idea that "it's more expensive here" doesn't fit. In many of the houses I've looked at online I would get both more house for my money and pay cheaper taxes than where I'm living now.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM

247 posts, read 744,907 times
It's not really that expensive, comparatively. Two things surprised me, not being able to pump my own gas and the lack of humidity. I love how dry it is here, so MUCH better than the mid-Atlantic.

Another thing. Being able to see the mountains every day just driving around is amazing. I hope that feeling never goes away.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Not a lot of surprise, but there are some things that take some getting used to. The dearth of shopping in Corvallis took a while to adjust to, as did places like dentist's offices only being open a few days per week.

The volume of local fruits and vegetables was something of a pleasant surprise.

The red left turn arrows all over town annoy me just about every time I drive somewhere.

There's also a near complete absence of large chain restaurants other than fast food. There are some good local options, but there's also a lot of crappy places that charge exorbitant prices for bad service and awful food.

Oh, and some people actually stop for pedestrians. People are also pretty aware of bikes, though a small minority of jerks find it acceptable to drive in the bike lane and ignore bikes that have the right of way at intersections (to be fair, there are also some bicyclists who think traffic rules don't apply to them).

Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 AM

Oh yeah, they left turn arrow thing is bizarre. For sure...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
In saner parts of the country, left turn signals are only green and yellow. You can make a left turn any time it is safe to do so. Green means oncoming traffic has a red light and you can make the turn. No arrow means you yield to oncoming traffic (exactly like the flashing arrow that some places in OR use).

Here, left turn signals also have red, which frequently leaves people sitting at intersections even though there is no oncoming traffic.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
I'm from Baltimore, MD. This is what I've found.

---
Huge emphasis on outdoor recreation even in cities.

Much more open and accepting society.

Conservatives out here are VERY moderate. They even recycle and believe in conservation.

Less bible thumping.

Everything is less established. The education system, the architecture, the people, etc. (this can be both a plus and a minus)

There seems to be less emphasis on formal education. And the formal education that is out here seems sub par comparably (I know I'm going to get flamed for this - sorry, just must subjective opinion)

The largest city in Oregon feels like a big town, not a urban center.

You can't pump your own gas. But hey....at least we're not like New Jersey in other ways....

No sale tax (great for splitting bills).

Not as many people follow politics/finance. I think this has a lot to do with the time difference.

The PNW culture is totally different.

Oregon is a much more modest culture.

The UB laws are much more strict. Totally different value system.

The amount of public land. Again, totally different value system.

The amount of small businesses even though everyone you talk to tells you Oregon tax structure is bad for small businesses.

Less box stores and much less corporate culture.

The beer and coffee culture.

There is a strong emphasis on artisan EVERYTHING.

Property tax is very comparable to many places back east which surprised me since every I talk to complains about how high it is compared to other places.

The fruit and vegetable produce is better.

The weather patterns are TOTALLY different and can be a tough adjustment. I didn't realize how subconsciously my life patterns were tied to the 3 month seasonal cycle.

Many more people in their early/mid 20's are either married, have kids or are pregnant.

The pace of life is much slower.

Everyone is much more laid back.

Timeliness isn't as important.

Much less formal.

Less posturing.

Less hostility.

Oregon is very cheap.
---

I'll stop there for now. I could write that list for days....frogcreekwoods, PM for real details if you have questions.

Last edited by kapetrich; 08-10-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 5,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In saner parts of the country, left turn signals are only green and yellow. You can make a left turn any time it is safe to do so. Green means oncoming traffic has a red light and you can make the turn. No arrow means you yield to oncoming traffic (exactly like the flashing arrow that some places in OR use).

Here, left turn signals also have red, which frequently leaves people sitting at intersections even though there is no oncoming traffic.
Ever heard of cross-traffic? Or does that not exist in "saner" parts of the country?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragma View Post
Ever heard of cross-traffic? Or does that not exist in "saner" parts of the country?
What do you mean by cross traffic? That's why in most states it is yield to oncoming traffic when you do not have a green arrow.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I'm from Baltimore, MD. This is what I've found.

---
Huge emphasis on outdoor recreation even in cities.

Much more open and accepting society.

Conservatives out here are VERY moderate. They even recycle and believe in conservation.

Less bible thumping.

Everything is less established. The education system, the architecture, the people, etc. (this can be both a plus and a minus)

There seems to be less emphasis on formal education. And the formal education that is out here seems sub par comparably (I know I'm going to get flamed for this - sorry, just must subjective opinion)

The largest city in Oregon feels like a big town, not a urban center.

You can't pump your own gas. But hey....at least we're not like New Jersey in other ways....

No sale tax (great for splitting bills).

Not as many people follow politics/finance. I think this has a lot to do with the time difference.

The PNW culture is totally different.

Oregon is a much more modest culture.

The UB laws are much more strict. Totally different value system.

The amount of public land. Again, totally different value system.

The amount of small businesses even though everyone you talk to tells you Oregon tax structure is bad for small businesses.

Less box stores and much less corporate culture.

There is a strong emphasis on artisan EVERYTHING.

Property tax is very comparable to many places back east which surprised me since every I talk to complains about how high it is compared to other places.

The fruit and vegetable produce is better.

The weather patterns are TOTALLY different and can be a tough adjustment. I didn't realize how subconsciously my life patterns were tied to the 3 month seasonal cycle.

Many more people in their early/mid 20's are either married, have kids or are pregnant.

The pace of life is much slower.

Everyone is much more laid back.

Timeliness isn't as important.

Much less formal.

Less posturing.

Less hostility.

Oregon is very cheap.
---

I'll stop there for now. I could write that list for days....frogcreekwoods, PM for real details if you have questions.
I am from Rockville. Now living in the Medford area. I love it out here... LOVE it...

btw, what do you mean by "UB"?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I'm guessing urban growth boundaries.
Quote:
Totally forgot about this. Yes, if you like beer, Oregon is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon