U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

841 posts, read 4,465,632 times
Default Crime in Chiloquin?

Are they serious???
I've been in cities where suburbs are more dangerous than Chiloquin. This has to be a joke. Talk about over exaggerating. Does anyone else feel Chiloquin is like this?

"Many residents hope Chiloquin can shed its rough-town stereotype."
“I wouldn’t be in Chiloquin past midnight…; it just doesn’t feel safe.”

Herald and News: Klamath Falls, Oregon (http://www.heraldandnews.com/articles/2007/08/15/news/local_news/local2.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,715,645 times
I wonder what happened to the local vigilantes? In the old days, they would just haul the drunks 50 miles out in the desert and let them walk it off.

The world has gotten too tame.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,614 times
Ever been there in the late night? I have. . . I wouldn't live there. I am a single mother and would not feel safe there at all, especially as an outsider.

Much of the crime there isn't reported, or if it is its just looked over and left alone. Its quite a scary little town, at least at times it is.

Kat

Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinOr View Post
Ever been there in the late night? I have. . . I wouldn't live there. I am a single mother and would not feel safe there at all, especially as an outsider.

Much of the crime there isn't reported, or if it is its just looked over and left alone. Its quite a scary little town, at least at times it is.

Kat

I wouldn't live there because of how small it is.

What exactly makes it 'unsafe'? There's no shootings, gangs, etc. Just a bunch of redneck drunks and little kids who try to act like thugs (pretty much a theme in Klamath County). It's definitely not a 'ghetto', so I don't know what makes it 'dangerous'.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 17,614 times
I had a friend who moved over there, it didn't last long at all. There is a high level of alcoholism, unemployment, poverty etc. What it leads to is alot of fights and non-reported crimes like a guy who shot her neighbors car. . . but nothing was reported.

Its just a scary town. I grew up in an area close to it, and you never ever hear anything positive from that area.

That being said, I am searching for a nice lil town again. . . just not that one lol

Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Shootings happen all the time in big cities, some neighborhoods have shootings everyday and not even report them. I still laugh when people say Chiloquin is a 'rough-town'.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 48,880 times
Is it really a bad place? I mean its such a small town how bad can it get. How many murders, gang violence, rapes, armed robbery has there been last year? or property theft? Id really like to know because I have family moving there soon, a few miles out. My relatives are good ppl, but they come from a rough city where major crimes happen and have happened to them so with that said I just want to know if theres real crime here..or just an intimidating environment. i.e thuggish unruly kids, drunks, rude behavior etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 AM

3,994 posts, read 7,473,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watmonki View Post
Is it really a bad place? I mean its such a small town how bad can it get. How many murders, gang violence, rapes, armed robbery has there been last year? or property theft? Id really like to know because I have family moving there soon, a few miles out. My relatives are good ppl, but they come from a rough city where major crimes happen and have happened to them so with that said I just want to know if theres real crime here..or just an intimidating environment. i.e thuggish unruly kids, drunks, rude behavior etc.

Mostly it's just drunken brawls (between drunks) and it's not nearly as prevalent as Herald-News tried to make it seem. I frequently go into town to get my mail, get something from the (very good) small hardware store, read newspapers at the library or pick up something at the store. It's a very small town, and once the stores close around 7:00, the street dry up entirely.

I wouldn't live in-town, but it has nothing to do with violence, it's that a railroad line runs right through the middle of town and I'd rather not live 100' off an active rail line.

There aren't a lot of jobs in the area and it has a depressing (in the economics sense) effect on the town.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,331,138 times
I live in S. Virginia in a developed neighborhood considered somewhat affluent. Before opening this thread...Call it perfect timing or something, but I JUST called the police (again) because I have a crazy old coot who uses his shotgun in his back yard, which ajoins mine. He did it yesterday too and was doing it last summer. I can't even let my kids go outside to play (we have a waterfront property and they play on the beach and go fishing) so we can't even use our own property to it's fullest value.

Crime is everywhere. No neighborhood is perfectly safe.

One of the things that appeals to me on moving back to Oregon is how much safer it is in the Klamath Basin.

Last edited by DragonFly757; 05-06-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 48,880 times
Thanx PNW-type-gal, that clears it up quite a bit. Drunks, small law enforcement, bored teens, poverty <-- all this doesn't equal a bad place, not if the community is close knit at least. They can hold each other somewhat accountable. Now if you said "Drug dealers, drug runners, meth-junkie house robbing, stranger stabbing thieves Id be worried. My cousin was just robbed at gun point after work one night, so long as crimes like this isn't happening then I think Chiloquin is quite safe in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon