U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 9,215 times
Default Moving to Antelope! Anyone here from (near) that area?

I'm in the Sierra Nevada of northern California. I spent most of my life in Oregon...grew up in the Rogue Valley, did a stint in Portland and spent several years out in Grant County. I'm excited about going back to Oregon. Not a knock against the Nevada City, CA area where I live now....it's gorgeous here....but the cost of living in CA has become a joke. I'm leaving while I still have my dignity intact.

I found a GREAT house in the rip-roarin' city of Antelope, OR (pop. 35 to 70, depending on who's counting), 31 miles to the northeast of Madras. I will be moving there within the next few weeks. I've been to Antelope many times and, in fact, many years ago I used to live in town of Monument, only two hours east of there. So, I'm pretty familiar with the region. My most recent visit to Antelope was last Spring but it was a brief stop-over on the way from Burns to Bend. Yeah, I took the scenic route! If you don't mind some crooked roads, Wheeler County on the way from Mitchell to Fossil to Antelope is really a peaceful, beautiful drive!

Among the reasons why I like the area is the terrain, the climate, the quiet community and the not-so-far distance from Madras. More so, however, it's because I am an avid amateur astronomer and I crave dark, star-filled nights with little to no light pollution nearby. Much of central and eastern Oregon is known to the astronomical community to have some of the darkest skies in the U.S. I can certainly attest to that. I have three telescopes, the larger one being about 11" in diameter (for those of you who are inclined: Meade 10" LX200 Classic SCT) and I enjoy peaceful evenings of observation, astrophotography and sharing my love of the hobby with others.

I'd like to strike up some conversation with folks who live in Antelope/Shaniko/Madras to get all the latest and greatest about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,961,850 times
Just by passing through you already know the latest and greatest

That's a tight community there. Enjoy the city and the scenery. And get to know your neighbors really well.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM

I'm sure I will!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,341,010 times
Is Nevada City/Grass Valley still insanely expensive for the incomes available? Do lots of people commute to Sacramento?
Just curious.
I'll bet you'll find Antelope much as you left it unless you were around in Rashneeshy days, in which case it's quieter

Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Is Nevada City/Grass Valley still insanely expensive for the incomes available? Do lots of people commute to Sacramento?
Just curious.
I'll bet you'll find Antelope much as you left it unless you were around in Rashneeshy days, in which case it's quieter

Yep and yep. I used to commute to Sac, but because I'm a Paramedic, I'd only work two 24-hour shifts each week, staying overnight in the bunkroom of the station. I can't fathom the 65-mile commute these folks do every...single...weekday. Especially now that the traffic is HORRIBLE in Roseville. It's always backed up for miles in the morning and the afternoon. Eessentially comes out to 1.5 a hour commute. Ridiculous.

The cost of living is insanely expensive. The average studio rents for around $700, a one bedroom house rents for $850-$975 and the average 2-3 bedroom house rents for around $1400 or so. I expect the local food and shopping prices to be higher because this a more rural location, so I've done all of my important shopping in Roseville. The more local your shopping is to your home, the more expensive it gets. I expect the same in Antelope, too, but that's understandable.

I love the area here...it's very pretty. But it's also too expensive. I see more and more transients around NC and GV (in fact, NC just passed an anti-loitering statute). Are you previously from this area?

I grew up and spent most of my life in Oregon. I've been to Antelope during the Rajneesh years so I've seen it first hand. I've visited several times after that and the town really hasn't changed much since then, which is fine by me.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,341,010 times
Talking I have friends in Sacramento

I grew up in Seattle and the Bay Area, but GV always seemed like a nice place to retire to (probably farther out, though, and higher - about 3500' or so. I don't know who the congressperson for GV's district was in the 1960s, but they were very effective - hence the freeway segment in the middle of nowhere (at the time).
Welcome back!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
I grew up in Seattle and the Bay Area, but GV always seemed like a nice place to retire to (probably farther out, though, and higher - about 3500' or so. I don't know who the congressperson for GV's district was in the 1960s, but they were very effective - hence the freeway segment in the middle of nowhere (at the time).
Welcome back!

Elevation in GV is 2500. I'm in a community about 15 minutes into the hills outside of Nevada City, elevation here is 3649'.

Yes, it's a nice area to retire to, if you have money. In town they get about as much snow as anyone in valley floors of Oregon get. However, any further out, you'll run into lots. We average about 2'-3' here.

Congressman here is a Republican by the name of Tom McClintock, who lives in VENTURA COUNTY, Southern California. He's wayyyy out of touch with us up here but I'm not even going to get into politics in this forum.

FYI, CALTRANS is widening a stretch of Hwy 49 south of Grass Valley on the way to Auburn. They literally cut out the hillside on the east side of the roadway and now it will be four lanes. The freeway won't be extended.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 PM

56 posts, read 171,136 times
Antelope is a nice little spot. There's a restaurant I always stop at and there's some nice little old lady's that make some GOOD homemade food.

It makes Mayberry look like a metropolis. Great place if that's your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon