Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

35 posts, read 33,547 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Oregon. We have been to oregon several times before so we have some knowledge of a few areas. I imagine somewhere along the I-5 corridor since thats where most towns seem to be. The one other place we like is bend. I can work from home so thats not a big deal. My wife is a child psychologist (PhD) and she would preferably have a private practice but may need work until that gets rolling..... So we would need some population (but that said the county we live in now has about 50k total and she has plenty of work) So needs and desires....our big things like local food, local stores, progressive community, schools etc are met by nearly every town in consideration I believe. we like to live somewhat rural but still have access to a progressive (i know i know) town within about 30-40 min drive. somewhat easy access to mountains desirable the more affordable the housing the better....remember rural...so a few acres being more important than a fancy house... we are early 30 with 2 kids so would prefer an area with people in this range (i hear some areas are largely retirees?) thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
You're not asking for much, are you.

I have two suggestions.

The first is the Grants Pass to Ashland area. From Grants Pass to Medford to Ashland you go from conservative to waaaaay out in left field in about 40-50 miles. Medford probably has the best schools and population base for your wife, but GP is a very nice little area.

The second is Bend itself. The economy is so far in the toilet that houses are 50% what they were 4 years ago and the Bend/Redmond area (not just inside the city limits) total population is over 250,000. It's drop dead beautiful there as well. God's country. Or, if your a dyslexic athiest, dog's country.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
If schools are important to you, you will limit your choices a bit. Corvallis has great schools, but the schools that the rural properties feed into don't tend to be as good as the in-city schools. So it would probably be disappointed if you were expecting that. Acreage around Corvallis isn't particularly cheap either.

If your wife wanted to work in Corvallis, then I would live in Scio (population about 800) for rural property. Their K-8 school is really good.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
You're not asking for much, are you.

I have two suggestions.

The first is the Grants Pass to Ashland area. From Grants Pass to Medford to Ashland you go from conservative to waaaaay out in left field in about 40-50 miles. Medford probably has the best schools and population base for your wife, but GP is a very nice little area.

The second is Bend itself. The economy is so far in the toilet that houses are 50% what they were 4 years ago and the Bend/Redmond area (not just inside the city limits) total population is over 250,000. It's drop dead beautiful there as well. God's country. Or, if your a dyslexic athiest, dog's country.
was the asking for too much sarcastic? from the time I have spent in oregon it seems alot of places meet what I am looking for? or am I totally far off? I want to be realistic...... when you say conservative to far left what area is conservative? I have been through grants pass and its beautiful.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If schools are important to you, you will limit your choices a bit. Corvallis has great schools, but the schools that the rural properties feed into don't tend to be as good as the in-city schools. So it would probably be disappointed if you were expecting that. Acreage around Corvallis isn't particularly cheap either.

If your wife wanted to work in Corvallis, then I would live in Scio (population about 800) for rural property. Their K-8 school is really good.
my comment for schools was more based towards alternative type schools or availabilty of homeschool co-ops etc as oppossed to public schools....sorry for the lack of detail

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM

125 posts, read 169,535 times
Medford/Grants Pass/Ashland: the area is a big medical hub, but it attracts second-rate doctors---possibly because the area is a pretty isolated backwater, with the only cities of any size nearby---Eugene and Redding---being a good three hours away. My parents both died--in the same year--from conditions that were misdiagnosed by the doctors there until it was too late. So if you're a good child psychologist, you would be one of the few good ones there---but keep in mind the demand for child medical services is low, because the area is a retirement/geezer hub---most medical resources are deployed toward keeping the oldsters alive.

I also think the climate in the area sucks compared to the rest of Oregon. Not only does it routinely top 100 degrees in the summer, it also freezes in the winter--the climate is more "continental" than nearby parts of Oregon because the Siskiyou mountains are taller than the rest of the Coast ranges elsewhere in Oregon.

Ashland is cutesy poo, with a very nice city park, but the tickets to the Shakespeare Festival cost three arms and two legs and the city actually charges SALES TAX (Booooooo!). Medford is...Medford. It could (and probably should) be named Mehford. Grants Pass is where just about everybody was born before 1940. It's got the best scenery though.

Now, all that aside, there is a gorgeous area you should take a look at--the rural areas and small towns on and off Hwy 238 between Jacksonville and Grants Pass. At Applegate, a road goes south (all the way to the CA border) through one of the prettiest valleys I've ever seen, with snowcapped mountains in the distance. Other roads lead south from 238 into the mountains, such as from Murphy (where the pot farms and hippies grow). It's a gorgeous, peaceful and beautiful area, and you're an easy drive from both Grants Pass and Medford. Jacksonville is worth checking out, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon