Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:20 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lincoln City for six months before moving inland to start a business and it was the best time of my life. Everyone was friendly, Loved the layed back, interesting people. Most who were not born there. It is my fondest memories of living on the Oregon Coast. I miss it sooo much... Love Newport too, worked there, great people..Ocean on my right, mountains on my left, I found it perfect for me.

You are an Artist, perfect place, renovations, perfect place. In my opinion of course. Good luck with the move!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari0422 View Post
Tiffany,

Although the other poster's statement is harsh and I would never wish death on anyone... I moved from Virginia to the Oregon Coast last year and I am miserable here. Maybe your area of the coast is different, or you just have a different personality. I have made a few great friends here. I love them dearly, but I have also been snobbed so much by many more people. It really hurt my feelings. One of my friends even told me that i was talked about behind my back and that she felt like it happened to her also. Mainly, it was in relation to other moms at our children's activities. There IS a highschool-ish clicky thing. I try to join in and engage myself in conversations and they will all leave or turn and look at me funny and ignore me. My husband works out of state and is only home every 2-4 weekends and I find it very lonesome. He feels really bad for me. Our home is on the market so we can leave, but he market is so dry that it isn't selling.

Another thing... when I first came here, i thought, "Wow, it's so pretty, so quiet, so safe, old-fashioned" It reminded me of the little town in PA portrayed in "My Girl"...lol. I could picture my tween-age daughter and a friend walking from our(in town) home to the lovely ice cream parlor just about a block up the street with a friend and taking my little one out to see the boats and to dig in the sand at the beach.

Well, once I started talking to other people with children... no one lets their kids walk anywhere alone, not even a block... not 2 feet away from their side. They bawk at tourist parents at the campgrounds when the kids run through the parks, like, "Oh my God, how can they let their child off the leash" practically. I met several moms who are afraid to let their children ride a school bus to school, even in 4th or 5th grade. My child rode the bus. She has sinse Kindergarten. One mom said she wouldn't let her child walk to school alone if they lived across the street. all of this followed by how horrible the world is today... I was like, "hello, nothing ever happens here!" If anyone knows why people are scared of their own shadow around here then fill me in, but compared to places where I've lived and people aren't overprotective of their children, this place is like Pleasantville, or it could be if everyone was friendlier and less afraid to be nice to each oher and let the kids out to play.

Is it a combination of the media and generations of people who've never lived anywhere else?

Then, there's the weather! The beaches here are absolutely gorgeous... STUNNING! However, you can't really enjoy them unless you wanna put on your LL Bean parka and a ski cap. I have tried on the warmest of days, but I don't last 20 minutes out there. My kids start complaining also. Summer has been better than winter. There have been a few nice days where if you choose lake over ocean it is pleasant, but they are so few and far between. Winter was awful. If you like the cold rain and wind then it may seem great, but at one point when it was 4 weeks going without seeing the sun, I was miserable. Did I say I am from VA? We had 4 seasons. It gets very cold in winter there and you can see snow and ice, but you will always see the sun inat least a few days, even when it's cold. It also gets hot in summer, but the thunderstorms roll in on the hottest afternoons and break away the humidity and make for a nice cool evening. Spring and fall are phenominal. Spring is beautiful with freshly blooming flowers and blossoming trees and mild teperatures. In fall it slowly cools off from summer and there is the most beautiful display of foliage.

So anyway, I can't wait to get home, becasue to me this isn't it. However, it may be someone else's dream home.
thats dissapointing. I'm originally from NY and looking to move out there. What specific city are/were you in?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Whoops! I just realized this is a very old thread. My comments don't apply. I wonder how things went for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon