U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,048,508 times
Default Sunny Weather in Central/Western Oregon

We're five years from retirement and plan to sell our overpriced money-pit here in the SF Bay Area and move someplace where we can buy a similarly sized home (3000 sq. ft.) on the equity we have in this place (shouldn’t be a problem almost anywhere in Oregon or Washington). At the same time we don’t really want to give up too much of the stuff we enjoy about the Bay Area, and weather tends to be kind of high up the list.

From the threads I’ve read so far it seems unanimous that Eastern Oregon is the place to go for sunny weather, but the wife wants a place closer to the ocean, one that has a more mild winter than promised in Eastern Oregon, so we are looking more at the 1-5 corridor or maybe the coast. While it seems obvious that the southern section of Oregon is generally warmer and sunnier, I was interested if there are some micro-climate areas up there between say, Eugene and Portland, or near the coast where the rain and clouds are generally kept at bay. Some place we might otherwise overlook in the ‘of course it is sunnier in Southern Oregon’ mindset.

(Of course we have other criteria, but this might help us focus a bit.)

Thanks . . .

Last edited by fizbin; 08-20-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM

3,990 posts, read 7,465,329 times
There is not anywhere at the coast that is sunnier than the Willamette Valley, not even the "banana belt" of the Brookings/Gold Beach area. And you'll have to get out of the Willamette Valley (roughly defined as Portland to Eugene) and go further south into the Medford-Ashland area to find sunnier weather. For my personal tastes, the Medford area is hotter and muggier than I like in the summer, but it's definitely sunnier than the Willamette Valley and has a much milder winter than Eastern/Central Oregon.

Outside of Portland and, to a much lesser extent, Eugene, you won't find anything, city-wise, that's even close to San Francisco in feel.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,048,508 times
PNW-type-gal,

Thanks for the response. That was more or less what I expected.

There are other factors, of course (cultural, medical, etc.) that make access to a larger city attractive. We both love wine/wine tasting, etc, so the Willamette Valley is kind of a natural. And I am a huge track & field fan, so being close to Eugene would be ideal. We'll be up in Eugene next year for two weeks during the Olympic Trials, so that will be a good time for the wife (not a T&F fan) to get out and about and check out the area. If that works out then after we retire we will probably rent in the area for a year or so and see what we think.

Thanks again . . .

Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 PM

3,956 posts, read 6,617,360 times
As has been stated elsewhere on the site, you really have to get south of Eugene for sunny (sunnier) weather. That being said, Eugene is somewhat warmer than Portland, and may have a bit more sunshine. A little gem that gets overlooked is Roseburg, about 90 minutes south of Eugene. Smallish, but quite pretty and good access to points north and south, as well as the Coast. And I can't prove it, but when I lived in the area, it seemed like they always had better weather than points north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon