U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,116,157 times

Advertisements

This past weekend my wife and I took a trip to Baker City, Baker City is where my family comes from. My grand father moved to Baker City around 1916 and married my grand mother in Baker City in 1919. Anyways, we went over to visit my cousin, the trip from Medford was nice, up hwy 62 to hwy 230 to 138 and over to hwy 97. It's been a few years since I've driven that route, my god has Bend changed, it's 80K population!!!!! When I was born in Bend in 1950 the town was about 12K and only about 10 years ago it was 35K. We took hwy 126 to Prinville then hwy 26 East, man what an awesome drive. Throught the Ochoco Mts into the small town of Mitchel, now if you've never stopped in Mitchell your missing something. It a small town of about 150 residence, the town doesn't look like it has changed much in the last 100 years and thats what makes it interesting. So we pressed on to Dayville, Mt. Vernon and John Day, you know, all these town are worth stopping at, the people you meet the things you see and experience are trully Eastern Oregon. There is a small cafe in Prairie City that serves an awesome steak and cheese sandwich, the view of the Aldrich Mts and Strawberry Peak with its dusting of snow was nothing by eye candy. Then it was up hwy 7 through the Blue Mts, this route is a must travel, the views are breath taking and you get to see the thriving town of Whitney, which is a ghost town, sorta, I think there about 3 people living there, but most of the buildings are still there. Continuing on hwy 7 you can turn off at the Sumpter junction and visit the old gold mining town of Sumpter. We arrived in Baker City, I must say that not much has changed there since my visits there as a little kid, just the cars are newer and there are more gas stations.
It was a great drive, if you've thought about visiting Eastern Oregon, I'd suggest staying off the interstate and take the back roads, you'll enjoy the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,353,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Throught the Ochoco Mts into the small town of Mitchel, now if you've never stopped in Mitchell your missing something. It a small town of about 150 residence, the town doesn't look like it has changed much in the last 100 years and thats what makes it interesting.
There is an aerial photo of the town taken about 1950 inside the Wheeler County Trading Co. Store on Main Street that shows the town was much bigger back then. There are several huge buildings up on the hill south of town. Google Maps shows that the school, and quite a few houses are still up there.

I love that area, and have driven that exact same route you did many times. Lots of good ghost towns near Mitchell such as Waldron and Richmond. And the Painted Hills are always fun to look at.

Did you happen to notice if the shoe tree is there on 26? There were rumors of cleaning it up a couple of years ago, but I don't know if they were true or not.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,116,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
There is an aerial photo of the town taken about 1950 inside the Wheeler County Trading Co. Store on Main Street that shows the town was much bigger back then. There are several huge buildings up on the hill south of town. Google Maps shows that the school, and quite a few houses are still up there.

I love that area, and have driven that exact same route you did many times. Lots of good ghost towns near Mitchell such as Waldron and Richmond. And the Painted Hills are always fun to look at.

Did you happen to notice if the shoe tree is there on 26? There were rumors of cleaning it up a couple of years ago, but I don't know if they were true or not.

The shoe tree is still there.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,010,454 times
I drove over to the Strawberry Mountains about a month ago from Bend for the first time and I loved it! We had a great time hiking and couldn't believe we were in Eastern Oregon. I'm hoping to make the trip up to the Wallowa's sometime in the near future. I've only driven through Baker City via I-84 back around 1998 when we first drove out to Oregon and the PNW to visit family. I'd love to take the back roads up that direction again.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,165,524 times
I've done a bit of fishin' at Prineville Res.

Some Record size have been caught at Wallowa Lake.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,353,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've done a bit of fishin' at Prineville Res.

Some Record size have been caught at Wallowa Lake.
If you're lucky you might see the Wallowa Lake Monster: http://cryptozoo-oscity.blogspot.com/2009/10/wally-wallowa-lake-creature.htmlp (broken link)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,165,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
If you're lucky you might see the Wallowa Lake Monster: http://cryptozoo-oscity.blogspot.com/2009/10/wally-wallowa-lake-creature.htmlp (broken link)
duh, bro, it says page not found.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,043,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
duh, bro, it says page not found.
cryptozoo-oscity: Wally the Wallowa Lake Creature.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 AM

182 posts, read 260,410 times
I always love my drives east. The Wallowas, the Elkhorns, Strawberry, Ocochos, all are beautiful mountain ranges with each their own special feature. I like the gold over there too.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM

505 posts, read 1,411,991 times
Isn't Bend crazy? But then again, so is Medford! We moved from there to here (Pendleton), via Michigan LOL. We really like Eastern Oregon a lot, but keep that quiet!!! Baker City is such a neat town. They all are out here, probably because so much of the history remains and hasn't been swallowed up by a huge sprawl!

We camped at Olive Lake recently and I got to see Granite and all of those little places. The Elkhorns and Wallowas are such incredibly beautiful mountains!!! But shhhhh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon