Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,815 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering which counties/locations in Western/Northern Oregon are friendly towards alternative housing (such as Yurts--like the yurts installed in State park campgrounds in OR).
Perhaps places where one can build a straw bale house legally, without MacMansions filling local HOAs.
And the places where it's OK to live in RV on the property, say if the main house is a fixer and you won't be smothered by paperwork and told to live only temporary, like 6 months. A place where one can put a couple of RVs on the property without needing a "mobile home park" license.
If these places/counties still exist at all in OR....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Nowadays i don't know if it's still legal to live ina rv on your land. Many years ago, i heard of some folks living in rv's. Maybe check with the DEQ of Oregon.

About five lustrum ago, a guy i used to talk to at the post office told me he bought some land over south of Klamath Falls. He said he couldn't build a home on this land, but he could live in an rv, on it. That's all i know about it. He moved & didn't come back since, that i know of. He said he bought a used Airstream he was putting on his land.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
If the land is "undeveloped" ie, no access to fresh water and electricity, then you can live on it in an RV. Some places may have a restriction on how long you can live there, or what times of the year, but that is on a county by county level.

I know Clackamas County will also allow RV living if there isn't a working bathroom in the house. This is usually used by people who's house has burned down. Other counties may have similar rules.

Yurts are an accepted livable building in many of the southern counties. I'm not sure what State level laws may apply. Some of the Eastern Counties allow straw bale houses, and if the building is a historic one built before 1950's there are some extra rules that allow tenants extra flexibility.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Codes, yurts and straw bale houses are not mutually incompatible - there are two straw bale homes in my area that have been built within the last 2 years and they met every code. There are state, county and sometimes city codes you must deal with in building. County building codes don't vary as much as they once did and the differences are pretty much based on city versus rural dwelling.

Some of the strictest codes are state codes dealing with wells, sewage/septic systems and surface water.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
There is one building code for the whole state of Oregon. Local jurisdictions are free to adopt more restrictive codes, but they can't repeal the building code or eliminate portions of it. Oregon codes allow for unconventional construction, even building types that haven't even been invented yet. Talk to your local Building Official to explore options.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,815 times
Thanks for the info. I'm in North Cal right now and getting something alternative approved would entail a nightmare and high expenses (if approved at all). If I bought land with utilities in here, I don't think I'd be able to have Yurt approved as place to live in... Most places won't allow living in RV either, only if you're a contractor or caregiver for main house occupant, and for few months, plus expensive permit. Also, using RV as storage space isn't allowed (?!). I was thinking putting a couple of used RVs and using them as space for storage, living quarters, kitchen (depending on what's going on with the main fixer house), or, say a Yurt or tiny cabin and an RV for storage--but I think I'd have to have a mobile home park license to put more than one RV or RV and a mobile cabin (on skids, so no building permit is required) on property, huh...So yes, looking for lower-key places where it's not hostile to alternative accommodations.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 33,525 times
I am looking for a care giver position anywhere in exchange for room and board.
it would be just me and my 2 cats.
I am a good cook and love to clean, I was raised on a farm and not afraid of a hard days work, just trying to relocate some where to be peaceful and start a new chapter in my life. I did CNA work for 12 years and love helping others.
Please help me find this place, I am looking for long term.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is one building code for the whole state of Oregon. Local jurisdictions are free to adopt more restrictive codes, but they can't repeal the building code or eliminate portions of it. Oregon codes allow for unconventional construction, even building types that haven't even been invented yet. Talk to your local Building Official to explore options.
Actually most places are now using the International Codes. (IBC)

I build in several states and without exception every place I build is using the 2009 IBC. As mentioned they can also adopt a more restrictive code.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post

I build in several states and without exception every place I build is using the 2009 IBC. As mentioned they can also adopt a more restrictive code.

Our state codes are based on that, but we do have greater restrictions placed on new builds here.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post

Oregon's building code is based on the IBC, but has been revised to suit local conditions and politics. There are actually two building codes in Oregon, the Oregon Residential Specialty Code for 1 and 2 family residences, and the Oregon Structural Specialty Code for commercial and multi-family construction. Oregon also has its own fire, plumbing and mechanical codes. I think the only national code that Oregon has adopted without change is the NEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon