Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

I am a native Portlander. Besides the rain, the fact that there is 10.6 % unemployment. Both my husband & I are laid-off and both of us are over 45 y/o. Even though we are better off than most, we are far from "rich." We may move out-of-state if I don't find a half-way decent job in one month.
So if you are able to find a job and don't mind the rain, Portland can be a great place to live.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven60 View Post
I am a native Portlander. Besides the rain, the fact that there is 10.6 % unemployment. Both my husband & I are laid-off and both of us are over 45 y/o. Even though we are better off than most, we are far from "rich." We may move out-of-state if I don't find a half-way decent job in one month.
So if you are able to find a job and don't mind the rain, Portland can be a great place to live.
I wouldn't be so fast to move if I were you. Things are pretty bad anywhere else. At least make sure you both get offers before leaving. It is not fun to move, have one of you working, and the other sitting around for a year because he/she can't find work in your new location!

I moved from California to Oregon back to California then North Carolina. It's very nice, but the temp today in Raleigh was 99 F. What was it in Portland? The ocean is farther away, mountains are far away etc. On top of that, not only is unemployment bad, but companies here are still laying people off.

I really miss Oregon. I was in Eugene.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM

43 posts, read 210,907 times
Roads.Or the lack of quality therof.Narrowand therfore dangerous.Hwy 18 from sheridan to mac was named 4thdeadlist in the nation>thats in ALL the US FOLKS,a few years back.Hwy 22 from salem to lincoln city isnt so safe either.Non-existant signage everywhere.The natives seem to be highly provincial.More so than usual.It seems.Parking everwhere is a barely an afterthought.No Ac in residential housing,so you BAKE IN THE SUMMER.Unemployment is mind bogglinglyaround 10%ouch.I thought 8%was BAD IN 2001.Other than that its maybe ok.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Hello,
I was born in Long Beach, California but mostly grew up in Eugene, Oregon. Oregonians bash California every chance they can. They only bash California because they are jealous of California's universities, economy, tourism, culture, art, and educated population. Oregon tends to celebrate the slacker attitude with a disdain for anything worldly or important. Oregon in one word: pathetic.
This is so untrue. Oregon is just more laid back. I grew up in California and got out as soon as I turned 18. Yes. It might have the horrendous advantage of having a starbucks on every corner, 2 or more malls in every city, but a lot of people that live in California have what I like to call a Californian attitude. They are plain rude, and care for nothing else then to get their $10 coffee while talking on their cell phone and ignoring the rest of the world around them. I can hardly stand to visit, because you can't drive down the road without being honked at, flipped off etc, because your not going fast enough. Go to fast and the world and life passes you by. Unless your in one of their colleges or remote towns, you may never meet anyone even though you pass by hundreds of people everyday!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdddydaug View Post
Roads.Or the lack of quality therof.Narrowand therfore dangerous.Hwy 18 from sheridan to mac was named 4thdeadlist in the nation>thats in ALL the US FOLKS,a few years back.Hwy 22 from salem to lincoln city isnt so safe either.Non-existant signage everywhere.The natives seem to be highly provincial.More so than usual.It seems.Parking everwhere is a barely an afterthought.No Ac in residential housing,so you BAKE IN THE SUMMER.Unemployment is mind bogglinglyaround 10%ouch.I thought 8%was BAD IN 2001.Other than that its maybe ok.

"Non-existant signage everywhere."

Yeah that's one of my peeves too.
Good thing you can't see it 'cause they put it everywhere!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
Actually, North Oregon and North California are very similar. And South/Central Oregon and South California are too.
Raven, I wish you a good job SOON.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM

46 posts, read 105,081 times
Wow! I'm from Southern Cali and I'm making a drive up the "coast" to scout out possible places to retire. Based on some of these posts I guess Oregon should lock up the women folk during my trip. After all I'm one of those rich arrogant Californians Just so I have the rules correct; Don't flip the bird while following slow moving vehicles, seek resident permission prior to building my home, Don't talk on the cell phones and buy $10 coffee. Anything else? Opps, should I leave my income in an offshore account or are the taxes I'll pay in Oregon met with approval.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migolito View Post
Wow! I'm from Southern Cali and I'm making a drive up the "coast" to scout out possible places to retire. Based on some of these posts I guess Oregon should lock up the women folk during my trip. After all I'm one of those rich arrogant Californians Just so I have the rules correct; Don't flip the bird while following slow moving vehicles, seek resident permission prior to building my home, Don't talk on the cell phones and buy $10 coffee. Anything else? Opps, should I leave my income in an offshore account or are the taxes I'll pay in Oregon met with approval.

Believe me, this Oregonian vs. Californian crap is so yesterday it's not even funny anymore.

Nobody really gives a hoot where you're from.

And the comment about taxes, big deal.

Nobody cares if you'll pay them or not.

The $500 of tax dollars you will pay during your visit really isn't going to make much of a dent.

Really.

Don't try to flatter yourself.

Not trying to be mean, just bored of this tired old stuff.

(But you really are a dum-azz if you spend 10 bucks on a cup of coffee.)

Well...................unless you end up in Bend.

If you tell just about anybody in Oregon you're from Bend, it will be automatically asssumed that you meant to say "I'm a Californian that moved to Bend and I have BUCKS".
Whether you are or not, you will be hated by default.

Then typical PNW passive aggressivness in it's most refined form will kick in....................... and you know the rest of the story......................

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-29-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migolito View Post
We love rich, arrogant Californians who move to Oregon to die. We love your taxes. Oregon has an estate tax, so all your assets are taxable when you croak, even assets held outside the state. All those dead California retirees have been a real windfall for the state. We love you. Really.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 105,081 times
Than off shore filing it is. And, unless that coffee has a couple of good shots of Baileys in it, I agree with the dum-azz comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon