Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 PM

113 posts, read 103,852 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Oregon, but we moved to Arizona to start over somewhere we've never been to before! But my mom, my sister in law and myself hate it here. The people are the rudest I've ever seen in my life! So we wanted to move back to Colorado but my dad can't take that much cold weather, so we are like maybe we should go back to Oregon. My question is, would you recommend it? Or should we find somewhere else, if so where?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 10,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
I used to live in Oregon, but we moved to Arizona to start over somewhere we've never been to before! But my mom, my sister in law and myself hate it here. The people are the rudest I've ever seen in my life! So we wanted to move back to Colorado but my dad can't take that much cold weather, so we are like maybe we should go back to Oregon. My question is, would you recommend it? Or should we find somewhere else, if so where?
Funny you should mention this. My wife and I will be moving to AZ next summer. Personally, we love it there and the heat. As for moving back to Oregon, that's personal preference. I cannot wait to get out of this state. To much rain, too many cold gray days, traffic is horrible, homeless population is off the charts...the list goes on. If you an outdoor person, there is not much solitude left for camping, fishing, hiking, enjoying the mountains, ocean, etc. You are surrounded by families of people, many who do not respect the outdoors.

This us coming from a native Oregonian of almost 50 years...I don't recommend Oregon to anyone.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 10,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
trolls in here. oregon is has perfect weather and its the same as any state. it isnt that great but better then the real bad places in the world. you could move to mars though, then you can be free
What is your definition of "perfect weather"?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
trolls in here. oregon is has perfect weather and its the same as any state. it isnt that great but better then the real bad places in the world. you could move to mars though, then you can be free
So, do you consider trolls as all those who don’t share your opinion?

Personally, I never minded Portland weather in the years I lived there, I liked it. But I wouldn’t argue with those who do because weather preference is a very subjective issue.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:26 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
I like to smoke weed sometimes, drink water that doesn’t tast like crap and live somewhere that you won’t die from cold or the heat. If people don’t have my opinion I won’t say anything next time. I usually say what I’m thinking though. But had to say something in this thread. It’s obvious I wouldn’t say it again, that’s how I am

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I like to smoke weed sometimes, drink water that doesn’t tast like crap and live somewhere that you won’t die from cold or the heat. If people don’t have my opinion I won’t say anything next time. I usually say what I’m thinking though. But had to say something in this thread. It’s obvious I wouldn’t say it again, that’s how I am
I think you can express your opinion any way you choose. No one is telling you not to. But you just can’t accuse others of being trolls because they disagree with you. Trolls don’t give opinions, they they spout nonsense to make trouble. I didn’t see anyone doing that in this thread.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Oregon can feel a bit isolated sometimes and outside of Portland metro it is made up of small towns. Many people love that about Oregon but sometimes it feels like I live far away from a big city. Portland is not a very urban city and it’s city center is tiny. The years when I have gotten away to NYC or SF, LA...I find I am fine for the year. The weather can be rainy for a very long time and many transplants underestimate the importance of seeing sun in March. The drivers are also a downer since merging is a problem for many that learned to drive here. Those are my gripes. I mostly enjoy living amongst the green and trees and I have met many good neighbors and families in my communities.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
I used to live in Oregon, but we moved to Arizona ...we wanted to move back to Colorado but my dad can't take that much cold weather, ...should go back to Oregon. My question is, would you recommend it? Or should we find somewhere else, if so where?
1) Jobs / skillset? (earnings target)
2) kids? schools?
3) potential needs? (healthcare / Higher Edu / transportation
4) Desired climate (Maximum cold Maximum heat? Inches (feet) of snow / drizzle)
5) Housing Budget? rent / own
6) Rural / Urban

just a few of the necessary questions you need to inform us.

There are hundreds of places for you in PNW, but why Oregon?

I will assure you that you can seldom return to a previous home / community and it will be as you remember it.

Colorado was my previous home (28+ yrs), yet it is very different now, and many new challenges which would make it impossible to return "HOME"
(As for weather... I rode my bicycle to work everyday except 3 during my last yr in Colorado.. While 30+ yrs in PNW, I have ridden my bike to work 3x)

You ask "Downside of Oregon"... Do a web search, it has a VERY high tax burden and a very LOW tax thresh-hold)... maybe a good place to live if on welfare / low earnings. But... there are about 45 'better' states for overall tax burden. Housing costs are high, wages, not so high. EXCELLENT Jobs are very few and far between. (Similar in Colorado an any 'desirable / trendy' location. Bring a special skillset, and hope for a good job. (find one first!)
YMMV

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-30-2017 at 01:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 PM

199 posts, read 217,534 times
Other than traffic, there isn't much that bothers me. I'm also a bit worried about the big earthquake that's supposed to strike us but every area has its own set of disasters to worry about.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Don't worry about the earthquake, worry about a atomic bomb form north Korea or Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon