Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 AM

199 posts, read 217,118 times

Advertisements

Also I don't know why people say "it rains all the time in Oregon". This year we got like 5 rainy days from June 1st until the end of October, a period of 5 months. I know this because I had to water my plants pretty regularly during this time and I kept track of things.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:13 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
I would agree but I would say the rainy season will go into mid June on average.Although we had .5 inches 2 weeks ago (Aug.)
This is great. The less you have to water your garden. It makes things green, and ferny. And you can still go out, and frog around in it when it's lightly raining. I think it feels good, makes me happy .

Old 12-30-2017, 04:49 AM

29 posts, read 24,147 times
It has tons of homeless; that is a big complaint.it's true, Oregon and Eugene,Lane county,will not throw them out. This is a very liberal democrat state. Thus,we have a large amt.of "hanging-around-poor"population,that will want to camp out on your land.--And, true,.there is not much police in Lane County.They will not come out,unless a gun is used.--or,just won't come.The lack of police means we have a "large firearm culture."We have many gun laws that can't be enforced.MANY MANY DRUGS--downtown has Meth heads tweeking.

POT IS LEGAL IN OREGON.my next door neighbors even smoke it on their porch--I have to shoo away homeless,or pot smokers who come onto the back of my lot,(not seen by me)and make themselves at home,or just gather to smoke pot.NO,the police won't do anything.The reason for the "firearm culture "is burglary,home invasions,and theft,assault,and even burglary while out camping.(You will want a carry license, to go camping.) Theft is pretty bad,and around the U.of Oregon student housing,it is real bad---from the students. Um...loud partying from apartments near the university. Gardening clubs. We now have drought worries every year cause Oregon is closer to California rain fall now.Some still garden well;the Willamette Valley has very bad ALLERGIES and flora.The air is often bad.We got rid of most grass seed burning during summer, but now the Valley has SMOG from the huge traffic jams and freeways. It used to be a little town--now it is millions stuffed into a too-small town. Bring your own money to live on, the wages here are very low.

OK<I feel it my duty to warn you,Oregon state is having a big budget fault coming up.The state is trying to vote in a "Oregon healthcare tax" for very poor kids,disabled,and the old.We already have a "hidden sales tax".(It goes on the merchant on a sale,he gives it to you,)The county here is having budget shortfalls.

Unfortunately, i was told a lot of doctors,and psychiatrists are moving out of Oregon.Medical people told me;it is the lack of money here.Of course we have rich people here.But,even people with jobs tend to be very poor.No big business here.--it was a small college town.Now its an expensive college town( the favorite food in Eugene ispizza, any pizza.).All the Oregonians have moved way out of civilized areas,too expensive.I was told,often I was the only native outsiders had ever met(I retired back,after working in CA all my life.).I was told by a bank teller, her rent is high, she has to have roommates. I am just telling you the realities,sorry, someone else tell all the great stuff. OK? For example, I live alone,so I keep a handgun at home.You might prefer a large dog.--I have several times had burglars try to enter at night,(and day) but they got scared off. So far, I have not been forced to use a gun.But women living alone should have safety precautions.This just happens in many states now.--not just Lane County, Oregon.

Contrary to popular notion,natives of Oregon can be well educated and intelligent;its just usually they have to work in other states,to get jobs.--so many of us have left.My sister still lives in north California,she hates it here,she won't come back. Lane county was known for having many people from Southern states,hence the favorite music is often country-western.(altho we also have a classical music radio station.)They even have rodeos during the summer.I have a good friend here originally from Alabama.--it would not be unusual to see a man with hound-dogs in his car, or truck,cause some still use them to hunt. Please do not bring any bias against people from Southern states,a lot of them moved here...Someone please take it,and say a lot of the favorable things about Oregon and maybe Lane County.--I just related the sore realities..Please do not remove this post, these remarks are just reality.I did not overly exaggerate."Ory-Gun" is the phrase.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Police won't respond to meth tweakers because Oregon has passed a law decriminalizing hard drugs, so it is not against the law to be using meth.

As for taxes to pay for health care, just this year, Oregon passed a law that undocumented aliens, age 18 and younger, get "free" health care. "Free" not, of courss, being actually free. It means paid for by the taxpayers.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Police won't respond to meth tweakers because Oregon has passed a law decriminalizing hard drugs, so it is not against the law to be using meth.
Using meth isn't the problem. It's all the OTHER crimes the tweakers do while high on meth, or after they crash and are desperate to pay for their next fix. In any event, I'm not sure that drug related crime is worse in Oregon compared to anyplace else. There are certainly more homeless around here. That's a problem up and down the west coast. But I'm not sure the meth problem is worse than elsewhere. Lots of parts of the country are being ravaged by drugs.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 AM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
I always see needles laying around and broken meth pipes. I’ve had people ask me if I wanted to buy some. All I do is smoke weed like once a month

Old 12-30-2017, 01:15 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
I always see needles laying around and broken meth pipes. I’ve had people ask me if I wanted to buy some. All I do is smoke weed like once a month
Once a month? Riiight.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 PM

731 posts, read 678,031 times
In this past year our 7 mile long road off of Highway 101 had TEN HOUSES broken into by tweekers. At least one place was robbed twice. I have no cell phone service to call the cops and if I did it would take 45 minutes to get here so I have a big dog and a gun.

Other things- the huge population of bums in this state. I'm glad to be far off the highway.
Plus the high cost of food and gas.
No jobs- which is good because it keeps more people from moving here.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:52 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
People are complaining about the healthcare tax bill (i have lived with one in other states- I kinda liked seeing, on my restaurant receipt, how much i had contributed to the county healthcare system)- but how would it help to have Oregon lose billions to an already hurting economy --

I found this map the other day - and found it interesting--

Walmart Nation: Mapping the Largest Employers in the U.S.

- healthcare employers by far are better than .. walmart....
cr**py jobs like those are the real taxpayer burden...

Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,393 times
Apples and oranges comparison. Those "crappy" WalMart jobs are the best jobs most around here qualify for.
I get. You don't like WM. But they are a great entry-level job for many. I wish WalMart had been around, when I was a kid.
And WM contributing to the taxpayer burden? Not here.

Last edited by wolfdog; 12-30-2017 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon