U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 PM

633 posts, read 885,100 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NE Oregon and have friends in Portland area and SW WA. So I am somewhat familiar with the different climates within the States. I have been to Astoria and its beautiful and close to the Ocean. The less appealing part of Astoria is the icy, hilly terrain in the winter months. Are there any areas close by (within an hour) that have similar beauty but less ice? That is the part that I am not familiar with...in that part of NW Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM

6,959 posts, read 7,770,049 times
I wasn't aware that ice is common in Astoria. The ocean actually moderates temperatures, to hear that Astoria is icy is a surprise to me. Highway 30 between Astoria and Portland can get icy, the closer to the Gorge the more winter cold weather.

You don't need to live on the hill.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I wasn't aware that ice is common in Astoria. The ocean actually moderates temperatures, to hear that Astoria is icy is a surprise to me. Highway 30 between Astoria and Portland can get icy, the closer to the Gorge the more winter cold weather.

You don't need to live on the hill.
I was reading some old posts and I do recall when I was there (many years ago) the rain and myst would freeze on the roads...the hilly ones were quite slick. I think it was Jan or feb. Maybe I am mistaken. Maybe it does not happen that often. And you are right I do not have to live on the hills. Maybe others will clarify the commonality of the ice. THANKS!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

9,189 posts, read 6,016,221 times
Any area near the mouth of the Columbia can be exposed to east winds and ice, though they are pretty infrequent on a yearly basis.

If you don't like ice, I would say anywhere south of Salem would be better, because the outflow winds dissipate away from the gorge. I would not have expected it to be a big deal in Astoria, though.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Any area near the mouth of the Columbia can be exposed to east winds and ice, though they are pretty infrequent on a yearly basis.

If you don't like ice, I would say anywhere south of Salem would be better, because the outflow winds dissipate away from the gorge. I would not have expected it to be a big deal in Astoria, though.
I appreciate your input. I still think its the prettiest area, small, close to Portland and the coast. Also would be an easy drive to my friends in WA. I have lived in SW MO for 22 years now and am ready to reaquaint myself with scenic beauty ...skiing, the coast. I have a BS in Psychology so I need to be close to behavioral health facilities, hospitals etc too. All things to consider.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM

6,477 posts, read 6,220,275 times
Tillamook maybe? There are some fairly substantial health facilities there.

If you were open to further south I'd say Florence, Waldport, Coos Bay, Brookings for less ice. But then you run into the job issue.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,615,522 times
This website gives climate data for Astoria. With winter months average only 7 days with a minimum temperature below freezing, I can't imagine that freezing is that much of an issue.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,220,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
This website gives climate data for Astoria. With winter months average only 7 days with a minimum temperature below freezing, I can't imagine that freezing is that much of an issue.
Cold winds from the north, coupled with fog off the ocean as the warmer Columbia River discharges into. Add in Oregon's typical misty rain and I can see Astoria getting quite a bit of black ice.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well I certainly like the temps of only 7 days below freezing. I know here in Missouri...the wind chill can really bite you in the butt. We can have a 42 temp and the wind chill can freeze water making it feel like its 32. Astoria has great temps overall and it is georgeous. I love the snow...its that stuff you can't see sometimes that I don't like. I have been through ice, snow, tornadoes, and now earthquakes...I suppose I can handle just about anything now..LOL

Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,615,522 times
Temperature is the only thing that affects freezing; wind chill only affects how the air feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon