Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM

171 posts, read 668,155 times

Advertisements

Let me know anything and everything you can share about Bandon please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,391,001 times
The town of Bandon completely burned down three times. The most recent in 1936. It's located at the mouth of the Coquille River and has one of my favorite lighthouses there.

The town's main export is Cranberries these days. The Bandon Cheese Factory was bought in the mid-90's by Tillamook and closed. The Fishing fleet has gradually shrank over the years. There is a nice B&B called the LightHouse Bed and Breakfast, I can highly recommend the Greenhouse Room and the Gray Whale Room. Right across the street is a very nice, and fairly cheap, retirement home with a view of the river and Ocean.

The downtown area has a few OK restaurants, but nothing I'd consider world class or on par with many places in Portland. Apparently 3 of the 10 best Golf Courses are in or near Bandon.

I can also highly recommend the West Coast Game Park Safari south of town. They have several daily shows where you can pet exotic animals and see baby animals closeup. If they have a small crowd, they'll bring out extremely rare animals. I have a picture of an ex-GF holding a one month old Arctic Wolf Pup, and I've petted Chocolate Skunks, a Brown Bear, a Lynx, Tiger Cubs, a Chimpanzee, rare ferrets, and tons of other animals that I've forgotten while visiting over the years. They are the first Zoo to successfully breed both Lions and Tigers in captivity, and still have an awesome breeding program for smaller and rarer animals. They also have a fairly huge crowd of roaming deer and goats that the younger kids can feed.

Up the road and across the street is Misty Meadows Country Store where you can get locally made jams, jellies, syrups, etc made of all kinds of locally grown berries.

For my money, I believe the coast around Bandon to be the prettiest and most diverse. One of my favorite formations, Face Rock, is there. There are several fairly cheap hotels right along there too, but I've only stayed at one, which is unfortunately out of business now.

As far as Oregon Coast Cities, I'd place Bandon in my number two spot. I think Astoria edges it out just because it has more historic buildings (of course,) and has a larger population with the amenities that includes.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,582,828 times
I always wondered which rock is Face Rock. Is it the one that looks like a head in profile?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I always wondered which rock is Face Rock. Is it the one that looks like a head in profile?
Yes it is. There is a Native American Legend about the face.

The Legend of Face Rock

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,998,906 times
We visit Bandon at least once a year. We've stayed at a few different places but our favorite so far is the comfy and affordable Best Western Inn at Face Rock in Bandon Oregon: Bandon Bill's Grill

We love to walk around the boardwalk area, have some fresh crab (you can rent the things you need to catch your own fresh crab right off the crabbing dock as well... fun for kids )...

There's a calm in Bandon that we like. We usually just end up walking, exploring, not even talking to much... taking photographs... then we get hungry and have to go find a good place to warm up and grab some grub.

The first place we ever went to in Bandon was a coffee shop/internet cafe right off hwy 101 that was opened and is/was (? don't know if it's still there... things come and go so quick sometimes) by this Californian surfer/hippie guy. He was super nice and the place was fun and casual and had good coffee. He said there was good surfing in Bandon but we don't surf - we don't even get in the water because we're wimps and it's too cold for us - but we do like to watch.

Our son will never go back to the West Coast Game Safari place because the first - and last - time we went, a monkey got excited and threw poo at him. He wasn't quick enough so he got a full load of it. Stunk like something out of this world... we ended up throwing away those clothes! Ahhh.... the memories of coast holidays...

Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,200,910 times
I was wondering....how is 42 for towing a travel trailer?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I was wondering....how is 42 for towing a travel trailer?
42 between Coos Bay and Roseburg is fine for trailers. It's the main route for trucks. It's been straightened out in a few places over the years so is getting better, but it's still windy and slow in other places. Expect to take 60-90 minutes during normal traffic to get through it.

if you're talking 42s between Coquille and Bandon, it should be fine for most smaller travel trailers, bigger ones might have a problem, so you might want to head up to Coos Bay and come down 101 to Bandon.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,200,910 times
Thanks! We recently purchased a TT and now need to look at all the roads thru different colored glasses.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,582,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Yes it is. There is a Native American Legend about the face.

The Legend of Face Rock
That's a pretty recent legend if it has a cat and kittens in it. It could date from as early as Spanish explorations in the 17th century, assuming they had ship's cats and keeping them caught on quickly among the natives.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's a pretty recent legend if it has a cat and kittens in it. It could date from as early as Spanish explorations in the 17th century, assuming they had ship's cats and keeping them caught on quickly among the natives.
It's interesting how often that comes up in Native Legends. There are several versions of that story, that is the first one I've seen that mentions the kittens.

Another version talks about her swimming out to wait for her "true love" to reappear, but Coyote sunk his canoe and killed him. But she's still out there waiting.

Legend of Treasure on Neahkahnie Mountain (http://www.hamell.net/2010/05/legend-of-treasure-on-neahkahnie-mountain/ - broken link) is another one that has half a dozen different versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon