U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 3,213 times
Default Snowbirds - Wa or Oregon coast, golf, windsurf: where + why?

Retiring in 4 yrs or less. Family in Vancouver, BC and summer res in our home province of Manitoba. Want to winter within a day's drive of BC to visit kids, grandkid, friends. Have considered Sequim, WA (the "Blue Hole" in the Olympic rainshadow). How about Oregon? Bandon, Roseburg, Florence? Others? We like small and simple (read: cheap!) Rent not buy (but able to do either) -- RV a possibility, but maybe just rent a summer place or B+B long-term over the winter near golf, windsurf, indoor pool?? Consider TRADE for some time in our lakefront cottage?? Moon Over Jessica in Division No. 1

Golf would be: year-round (good drainage), reasonable rates - cater to seasonal members, some sunshine would be nice! Maybe something like Bandon Crossings? Roseburg G+CC? Ocean Dunes in Florence? Cedars at Dungeness in Sequim?

Amateur painter. Club builder (golf). Handyman/carpenter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,948,681 times
Bandon has three of the best golf courses in the US according to a recent survey.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

yes! - planning a "mancation" there for this april. Or might do Chambers Bay, The Home Course and Gold Mtn. and add in Pumpkin Ridge & The Reserve.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,278,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Bandon has three of the best golf courses in the US according to a recent survey.
...and wind surfing too. No shortage of wind in Bandon.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM

woo-hoo!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM

5,572 posts, read 7,986,959 times
While I personally would prefer the Oregon Coast over the Washington coast... I'd have to recommend the Washington Coast to you if you want to be a day's drive from Vancouver, BC.

Astoria is just about as north as you can go on the Oregon coast and it's a five hour drive to Vancouver from there. Maybe I'm a wimp, though, because that's a "days drive" for me. Any longer than that and I get way restless. I'm worse than a kid!

But, I mean, honestly you also have to figure in traffic getting through Tacoma and Seattle. That can add time to your trip... traffic is awful there.

You might want to look into Hood River? http://www.el.com/to/hoodriver/

Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Astoria's an interesting location - thx for the thot. RE: Hood River -- mecca for windsurfers, but I am more golfer than windsurfer these days. (That could change . . . )

Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,861,744 times
I agree with haggard--according to Google Maps, Bandon is a 10-hour 560-mile drive from Vancouver BC. That's a long day's drive.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,948,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
...and wind surfing too. No shortage of wind in Bandon.
I have never seen anyone wind surf in Bandon! I can imagine it's a great place to do so though.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,278,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I have never seen anyone wind surf in Bandon! I can imagine it's a great place to do so though.
[color="Blue"]Oh yes. Not long ago came across a whole group windsurfing with their colorful sails off the beach just south of Face Rock south end of Bandon. Also about a year ago at one of the local festivals a group was doing a demonstration for the crowd on the boardwalk right off the crab dock area. I've even seen a few recently giving it a try out in the bay in North Bend while driving over the McCullough Bridge. They're around. [/CO LOR]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon