U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM

758 posts, read 1,321,208 times
the only airplane-fixing work (commercial) in Portland is Horizon (Alaska's commuter line) which doesn't pay extremely well. However, PDX, Hillsboro, and Aurora have reasonably-sized GA facilities, and there is Columbia Helicopters, Evergreen Aviation, and Erickson Air-Crane in the vicinity as well.

In the Bay Area, I believe UAL still has a large facility in SFO, and Alaska has a large facility in Oakland and in Seattle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,081,075 times
Smile Finding work....

Finding work in Oregon isn't the same as finding work in CA because there are TEN times fewer people here & probably more than 10 times fewer jobs. If there's a way to see that on the internet, it will better explain it but I don't know where that information is, nor how to extrapolate it.

Temp agencies .... are probably helpful in the very few metro areas here... Not Eugene which isn't metro anyway (not good unless you want to "pull chain" in a mill...) Maybe good for Salem or Portland. Probably not in Medford or Ashland.

If you want to live here... visit to see if you like it... Anyone would probably like the "Big Bear/Arrowhead" feel of it... but there are other aspects which could be "deal breakers" and there are plenty of threads/posts on this site which explain all of that.

***This is paradise*** but part of *that* is between the ears & in the sight of the beholder. I'd say if you want to live in EUGENE, just ride the city bus ONE time for 30 minutes before you decide to live here... It's an extreme cultural shock for anyone from So. Cal. Been there & done it : )

However, I love it here & can't imagine how I'd manage back in California... Blue skies here. Delicious water out of the tap. Friendly people, no matter what their culture/demographics. No sales tax!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 353 times
I live in San Francisco and it sucks. Super expensive, no parking, traffic is frightful, and rude people....plus the crime and gangs. I have watched crack sales occur openly on Market street with the cops just turning away. I too hope to escape to Oregon. Looking for peace and quality of life. Oregon is way cleaner, the people super nice, and it has a wonderful funky, independent feel to it.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM

6,566 posts, read 7,172,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Evergreen Aviation
Last on my list of employers. Things may have improved since the founder retired, but a corporate culture is hard to change.

For those not in the know airplane mechanics work for the love of aircraft, not for money. Sadly they are competing with mechanics in Mexico for maintenance work.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM

84 posts, read 44,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderette View Post
I'm trying to decide where to move. I've narrowed it down to San Diego, San Fran, or Portland. These are my 3 favorite places. San Diego weather is a little warm for my taste though, which is one reason I think I would fit well in Portland or Nor Cal, although San Diego is beautiful. I'm a writer so I can work from anywhere and my husband fixes airplanes so he can work at any airport. Can people please tell me which of these 3 places they would prefer to live and why.

i've lived in san fran and if i could afford it i would move back. don't come here, got to cali!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 PM

381 posts, read 440,492 times
6 years ago, I had to make a similar choice. Given my career, it was between SFO, PDX, or SEA. SanFran was out because it was expensive as hell. Seattle was out because it was either work for Microsoft or don't work (I'm certain that's not 100% of the case, but still, it certainly seemed that way). PDX worked perfectly because it had a surprising number of tech companies, and tech jobs.

I do not regret making the decision whatsoever.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM

6,566 posts, read 7,172,659 times
Portland is popular with tech companies with roots in SV because of its relatively low cost of living, decent schools, professional development opportunities (all of which make it easy to attract skilled workers), low cost and abundant power, and short flying time to SJC. Our home grown tech has been hardware (think Tektronix + spin offs) but cutting edge hardware needs software too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon