U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM

526 posts, read 196,554 times
Question Albany/Corvallis flooding..

Anyone living in Corvallis or Albany (or nearby) have any first hand information on how bad the flooding is? Does this type of flooding happen frequently in that area?

That area was on my list for possible places to move.. but now not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM

10,461 posts, read 15,691,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison_Ivy View Post
Anyone living in Corvallis or Albany (or nearby) have any first hand information on how bad the flooding is? Does this type of flooding happen frequently in that area?

All of the mid-valley cities are hit hard. The last one like this was 1996 but this one is looking worse. We have rivers. We flood. If it worries you then I'd steer clear of the flood plains, but in Salem we are having sewer issues being at capacity and water is backing up through the water mains.

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:46 PM

526 posts, read 196,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
All of the mid-valley cities are hit hard. The last one like this was 1996 but this one is looking worse. We have rivers. We flood. If it worries you then I'd steer clear of the flood plains, but in Salem we are having sewer issues being at capacity and water is backing up through the water mains.
I'm sorry to hear they were hit so hard. It's always heartbreaking to see and hear of people losing their homes and worse even, their lives.

It could only change my mind if it happens often. But thank you for the advice and the information.

Unread 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM

56 posts, read 70,768 times
The neighborhood that got flooded by mill creek in Salem was in a 500 year flood plain (no floods in 500 years) and no one had flood insurance, so you never know.

Unread 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM

1,916 posts, read 866,265 times
I am very sorry to hear of this too. I enjoyed visiting and met so many wonderful people in those areas. I hate to hear of their hardship. My prayers include them.

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM

2,774 posts, read 3,303,353 times
I used to work with a planner who told people God didn't draw the flood plain maps, FEMA did. The law doesn't make you get flood insurance outside the 100 year flood plain, but it might be a good idea. The scope of the flood plain changes rapidly, thanks to people who haul in truckloads of fill to raise their yards above flood level. The water has to go somewhere, usually into the yards of people upstream.

Placing fill in a flood plain technically requires a permit and engineering studies to make sure it won't flood someone else, but that's not well enforced. In the middle of the summer nobody is thinking about floods, and once the fill is growing a lawn, it's hard to tell that it wasn't a natural ground contour.

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:51 PM

297 posts, read 289,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison_Ivy View Post

If you watch TV news, you probably get the impression the entire state is under water!

In reality, most streets/homes are not under water, just a few. And these are in a "flood plain". The people living there knew this when they bought their homes.

There are flood plain maps. Just look at those maps prior to buying here. A local city planning department would have that information and actually would prefer that people do not move into those areas.

Anyway I can drive for 30 miles in all directions around me and not see any flooding! (I am in a higher area.)

And so far as TV news goes, same with earthquakes and California. You would get the impression the entire state is a pile of rubble! Not so. Actually you would need to drive around in a earthquake damaged area for quite some time to find anything which was damaged! Everything looks normal in most places...

Unread 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM

10,461 posts, read 15,691,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucher View Post
The neighborhood that got flooded by mill creek in Salem was in a 500 year flood plain (no floods in 500 years) and no one had flood insurance, so you never know.
First of all, being in a 500 year flood plain doesn't mean that there haven't been floods in 500 years. It just means that a house has a statistical probability of flooding at .002% each year. A 100 year flood plain means that a house has a 1% chance of flooding every year.

As for the neighborhood around Mill Creek. It is in the designated AE flood plain by FEMA as well as the city of Salem flood overlay zone. The city of Salem's flood overlay zone is larger than FEMA's. I have sold quite a few homes in Richmond and a good chunk is in the flood plain.

The river flooding isn't the problem for some houses though. Its that the drains can't handle the flow and are backing up. That is what is causing flooding in non-flood plains. If the city mains could handle the flow, we'd have a lot less flooding in Salem. Those are the people in trouble as they don't have flood insurance and regular insurance doesn't cover surface water damage like this.

Unread 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM

657 posts, read 490,579 times
I'm a newbie to the area, but have heard many stories about the rain. What I have NEVER heard about, though, is the little coastal town of Waldport getting annually buried by sand. I've heard about the wind on the coast, but never the sand. WOW...just WOW!!!

Storm buries homes: 'Worst I have seen it with the sand' | Local & Regional News for Eugene, Springfield Oregon | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Unread 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM

6,399 posts, read 4,765,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I'm a newbie to the area, but have heard many stories about the rain. What I have NEVER heard about, though, is the little coastal town of Waldport getting annually buried by sand. I've heard about the wind on the coast, but never the sand. WOW...just WOW!!!
That happens when you build on Sand Dunes or right on the beach.

I'm surprised that spit of land the makes Siletz Bay near Lincoln City is still there. It didn't exist at all until the mid-70's, and well into the 80's it was a place to watch the waves break over the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon