U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Default Murder of Lee Darnell

I am looking for info on the murder of a Drain, Oregon pharmacist in the late 60's or early 70's.

His name was Lee Darnell (sp)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM

297 posts, read 354,816 times
I've done a bit of historical research before as well as some legal research...

So far as old news items, the news stories will be on "microfilm" in a local library typically. And with one small town, the old back issues on microfilm of the local newspaper were at the genealogical society! (Not at the library.)

So I would start by finding the drain visitors center or chamber of commerce online. Then find the local newspaper, then call and ask where they keep the microfilms or back issues for that time period.

And with a big case like a murder, the larger city newspapers may have covered that. So try the Eugene Register Guard newspaper and the Portland Oregonian newspaper. Issues that old are probably on microfilm?

So far as legal stuff goes, the legal system is the LAST of humanity to computerize or place anything on web sites! I just took a friend to a court case and wanted to confirm the location of where his case was being heard. There was NOTHING on the internet about his case! I asked them about that and they said they were "trying" to get that stuff online. It is 2012?

Anyway for any legal information about a case like that, you are probably best to start at the law library of the local county courthouse in person. Sometimes they do not like non-lawyers using their law library. And cases are sometimes moved to another area for a "fair" trial. So you would need to find out if that was done, then I assume go to that court house.

(That is if there was a trial? I don't know???)

And some legal stuff is online via paid legal services. Some large city libraries offer free access to those systems. So might try that as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,955,263 times
There are tons of free online newspaper archives, along with some pay to use ones.

These should get you started.

Oregon Newspapers Index

Oregon Historical Newspaper Archives - GenealogyBank

Also if you're a member of the Multnomah County Library you get into the Oregonian Archives which go all the way back to the first issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,214 times
Drain is a very small town so the pharmacy he worked at must have been in a store? If you have the name of the store, that might help.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Default Lee Darnell murder

I have quite a bit of firstbhand information about the lee Darnell murder. I was a friend of the family, the murder happened next door to my aunt's house.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 943 times
Default Lee Darnell murder

I know the entire story well as I grew up in Drain and knew the family well. Later when i got married and moved to Roseburg my husband was a court appointed attorney for Ned Darnell the son found guilty for plotting his fathers death. It is a horrible and sad event. Is there anything you would specifically like to know?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 943 times
The murder trial was in Douglas County-- you can have the file pulled from the archives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon