U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 13,793 times
Default Moving to Medford -vs- Grants Pass, please comment...

I may have the pleasure of relocating from NJ to Medford or Grants Pass .... Thoughts please ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM

381 posts, read 439,067 times
Can't speak to Medford, but having in-laws who have lived in or about Grants Pass has given me a few bits about it...

* Grants Pass is going to be a lot smaller than Medford. By an order of magnitude smaller. Nice folks for the most part (and the local businesses are extremely kind), but outside of town (like, say, Merlin?) You'll run into the occasional (rare but still present) person whose attitude and demeanor comes straight out of Deliverance. In town though, no sweat... friendly folk who don't mind strangers as much.

* If you're the "progressive" sort, I can say right now that Grants Pass will present you some troubles fitting in, at least culture-wise. On the other hand, there are spots of it visible here and there.

* Bring your own job, because there likely won't be any waiting for you there. Josephine County at large is still pretty bad off, gov't funding-wise, mostly due to the crash of the timber industry (courtesy of US Federal edict).

* All that said, overall it is a nice place to live, but not quite what you might expect. Quiet for the most part, and if you score a home on the river (like my in-laws had) it can be extremely peaceful. It has a flavor all its own, and for the tolerant sort who likes living in smaller towns, you can ease into it fairly easily.

* the white-water rafting is among the most kick-arse on the planet, par none. Awesome outdoor scenery to boot. Lots to do outdoors (jet boat tours, hiking, fishing, camping, the caves, etc...)

* There's a spot a bit north of GP that is a most excellent place to take someone for a nice dinner: Wolf Creek. It's a tiny remnant of a town (if you could call it even that), but they keep a restaurant/B&B that is top-notch.

Now Medford I know nothing about (the closest I get is driving through it on I-5), so I'll have to leave it to someone else to describe.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM

417 posts, read 586,248 times
Grants Pass and Medford both have their strong points but are two totally different areas. Grants Pass is of medium sized, but will be more isolated then Medford. While Grants Pass has a lot to offer in terms of recreation, they lack in terms of convenient shopping choices. They got grocery stores, and a lot of good shopping, but while Grants Pass may have one of each store, the Medford metro may have two of each store. Grants Pass has a nice historic downtown, and the summers can get real warm. Just be warned, that if California has forest fires in the summer, that heat and smoke piles up in Grants Pass. Note that Grants Pass isn't far from Medford.

Grants Pass, Ore. Photo Credit: Grants Pass Update 1 2008 (AJM NWPJ) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/sets/72157623792897712/with/4498777073/ - broken link)

Medford, Ore. Photo Credit: Medford, Oregon (AJM NWPJ) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/4498787437/in/set-72157623792921580 - broken link)
Medford is growing, and has is a decent sized metro area around it. Many in Medford feel disconnected from the world of "Portland" far to the north, so really, Medford is in it's own little world too. It is the center of southern Oregon, and northern parts of California till about Redding. Medford also has their own local news channels, which provide nightly news casts and one of the bigger newspapers in the state.

No matter where you choose, you are close to recreation, hospitals, schools, and good residential areas.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 AM

1,221 posts, read 3,289,873 times
The posts above remind me that although Medford may have two stores for each one that Grants Pass has, Medford has an irreversible problem of having an airport and interstate highway practically in the center of a not-so-big city. You don't go through to Costco, you go around to it, from one side at least.

Grant's Pass ... I go through there often, to the redwoods. It seems like nothing to pass from one side of town to the other.

Medford's shopping is not drastically far from Grants Pass, the latter being my favorite town in that area. And Applegate Valley my favorite area, between the two. But for city, I'd take Grants Pass.

About a job ... can't judge for others. I've never moved to a town where I could not find a job in two weeks. Boise and Savannah included, for a while. But a "job" is easier to find it seems than a hefty paying professional position.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM

248 posts, read 411,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv2424 View Post
I may have the pleasure of relocating from NJ to Medford or Grants Pass .... Thoughts please ?
I moved to the Medford area from DC so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM

12,312 posts, read 8,407,364 times
We live on a mountain not far away but have been buying our vittles in Grants Pass fer five lustrum. Nice, friendly folks imho. We've never had a problem.

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Downtown Web Cam

I hear a new Home Depot is about to open.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,818,389 times
Medford and Grants Pass are both sizable communities within the relative scale of southern Oregon. Coming from the East Coast, though, you might be in for some culture shock. It's a long ways to the nearest metropolitan area. If you get most of your jollies from outdoor recreation, you'll probably be fine. If you value nightclubs and city rhythm, skip on down to California. Medford has the advantage of being close to Ashland and Jacksonville, so cultural events aren't far away. Grants Pass is kind of on its own. Make sure you have a job lined up before you get here as the applicant lines for the few jobs that come up have an awful lot of local hopefuls who know someone trying to get in.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM

While I am not a huge fan of a lot of chain stores/restaurants... I am happy that Trader Joes, REI and 5 Guys are opening in Medford later this year.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM

381 posts, read 439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

I hear a new Home Depot is about to open.
I can confirm the Home Depot. I saw it under construction as late/early as Christmas (there's a little dog kennel/boarding place nearby called Home Away from Home nearby that's rather awesome; we drop our dog off there every time we visit the in-laws.)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM

The Home Depot in GP is now open. We also have one in Medford, plus a Lowes. And the local hardware stores are better here for some reason than many other places I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon