Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times

Advertisements

Just read through this thread again. OP - my concern for you with Oregon is the mold/allergies issue. Have you ever had your doctor do the test to find out specifically what it is your allergic to? If it's grass or mold or fungus you won't be doing yourself any favors by moving to Oregon.

Have you thought about the outskirts of Austin, TX? Rereading your OP made me think of Austin. I'm a native Texan, and I get the feeling you might fit in that area really well. And Texas is a lot flatter than Oregon, not to mention better biking weather, too (dry, warmer...) - easier for biking!

And the food in Texas is pretty darn good. Cost of Living is much more affordable.

If there is a clinic in Medford, OR you might do better there? It's in a "rain shadow"... so it's a bit dryer than the rest of the Willamette Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM

41 posts, read 140,390 times
Black mold, Aspergillus Mix, Monilia, Fusarium, Penicillium.

Grasses/trees: English Plantain, Ragweed Mix, National Weed Mix, shagbark hickory

But my biggest allergies are dust mites.

I have to wear a respirator/mask when cutting grass. I know this is something I will likely never escape.

I often visit Florida and don't get ill usually. It depends on where I stay. I've been to Hawaii 3 times and only once got ill due to high mold/mildew in a particular hotel room. It was quite visible and both my husband and I got very sick. He usually doesn't have allergy problems, either! I think if the house/building I'm staying in can stay dry I should be good.

This might seem like an uneducated response, but when I think of Texas, I think "redneck", which is what I'm surrounded by where I currently live, and def. want to escape it! I have never been to Texas, so this is just a preconceived idea I have in my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Just read through this thread again. OP - my concern for you with Oregon is the mold/allergies issue. Have you ever had your doctor do the test to find out specifically what it is your allergic to? If it's grass or mold or fungus you won't be doing yourself any favors by moving to Oregon.

Have you thought about the outskirts of Austin, TX? Rereading your OP made me think of Austin. I'm a native Texan, and I get the feeling you might fit in that area really well. And Texas is a lot flatter than Oregon, not to mention better biking weather, too (dry, warmer...) - easier for biking!

And the food in Texas is pretty darn good. Cost of Living is much more affordable.

If there is a clinic in Medford, OR you might do better there? It's in a "rain shadow"... so it's a bit dryer than the rest of the Willamette Valley.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Bend has very low humidity. When we had a house at Sunriver it had a humidifier.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
There is a VA hospital (clinic?) being built in Lebanon, OR. I'm not sure when the doors are due to open, my guess is 1-2 years. Also in Lebanon is a new medical school. This is their first year.

Personally, I'm not fond of Lebanon. It's a walmart/mcdonald's kind of place. However, I think that is slowly changing and Lebanon has certainly done a great job of attracting new businesses. Corvallis, about 20 minutes west, is much more appealing- but more expensive and not being as successful at attracting new business.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

The allergy issue is very important. The allergy test is called The NW Panel. It is necessary for anyone contemplating moving here who has allergies and especially asthma to take it.

There is also the possible presence of smoke from forest fires hurting those with asthma. Last summer there were advisories issued for poeple with asthmatic or other lung conditions to stay indoors while smoke from forest fires blew over.

I went outside before I heard about the advisory and had to run back inside the house. It is no joke for people who suffer respiratory problems.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM

41 posts, read 140,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
There is a VA hospital (clinic?) being built in Lebanon, OR. I'm not sure when the doors are due to open, my guess is 1-2 years. Also in Lebanon is a new medical school. This is their first year.

Personally, I'm not fond of Lebanon. It's a walmart/mcdonald's kind of place. However, I think that is slowly changing and Lebanon has certainly done a great job of attracting new businesses. Corvallis, about 20 minutes west, is much more appealing- but more expensive and not being as successful at attracting new business.

I live in a Wal-mart/Mcdonalds kind of place! I'm so ready to get away from it! There's even McDonald's INSIDE of Wal-Mart!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The medical school is an osteopathic medical school.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM

381 posts, read 1,015,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlog View Post
I live in a Wal-mart/Mcdonalds kind of place! I'm so ready to get away from it! There's even McDonald's INSIDE of Wal-Mart!
Cornelius? (The only other one around here is out in Woodburn, I think).

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
This might seem like an uneducated response, but when I think of Texas, I think "redneck", which is what I'm surrounded by where I currently live, and def. want to escape it! I have never been to Texas, so this is just a preconceived idea I have in my head.
I think a lot of people do, and our two Bush presidents didn't help.

Texas is an interesting place that doesn't fit the old and incorrect stereotypes that I have found most people have about it. Yes, it can be conservative, and there are a lot of Republicans, and going to church is a big deal for many people... but there are a lot of Democrats and Independents, and atheists and pagans and agnostics and Buddhists, too! There's all kinds. Especially in the better parts of Dallas and Austin. Whole Foods started in Austin, TX.

I have honestly had to deal with more small-mindedness and redneck-type behavior in Oregon than I ever had to deal with in the 28 years I spent in Texas. Oregon people are nice, if not a little insular and anti-social, but very "small town". I think that's because Portland is the largest city and it's actually pretty small comparatively. There are a lot of "good ole boys" in Oregon. And Portland tries really hard to be so "hip" that it often just feels like it's trying to copycat Seattle or Austin. In fact, the whole "Keep Portland Weird" thing started in Austin. It was an Austin slogan first.

Don't get me wrong - I love Oregon, and my husband and I plan to stay here for at least another 7 - 10 years if not longer... but in some ways the mind-set in Oregon can be even more conservative than what you'll find elsewhere in supposedly the more conservative states. For example, in Texas what you mostly find are people having strong opinions but who are able to agree to disagree and still have a good beer & backyard BBQ together. In Oregon and Washington (where we've also lived, as well as California) progressives and liberals often get so heated about things... and they take things so personally... to the point where they are actually acting in very close-minded and off-putting ways. "If you don't believe what I believe then you're not my friend" or you're not progressive enough or enlightened enough or whatever... kind of thing.

Anyway - I wouldn't write-off Texas until you go there. If you're into music, check out SXSW or something, that could be fun!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
We have that here, too. And Starbuck's inside grocery stores. It's just the nature of the beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon