Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM

41 posts, read 119,221 times

Advertisements

Interesting! Steve knows me, but after all these years in town, I can't say I've ever met him. So, just for the record, I do not know Steve Pickering. I know the name, about like he knows mine. Glad "knowing Connie" is right up there with not missing an airport or port meeting though.

Let's face it - the longer we live, the scarier Coos Bay is to live in. The folks who think differently are likely on someone's payroll to tell you otherwise. Either that, or they're still trying to justify why they don't want to bother leaving. It's an epidemic around here. Most people hate it, but would rather dwell in their misery than to go to the effort to LEAVE!

Well, not everyone. All one must do is take a quick peek at school census. It tells the whole story. The schools are down to about HALF the numbers they once were. Obviously someone IS fleeing this area. Anyone who can get out!

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would've borrowed the money from someone to keep on driving. I would not have stopped to get work here, and I certainly wouldn't have stayed for 30+ years. The best thing to come out of this experience is my children. Beyond that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

256 posts, read 541,360 times
Reconsider Coos Bay. I heard a lot about it and recently visited there and there are way better options on the coast. First Employment on the coast is hard and Coos Bay is the worst of it. The town is going downhill and fast. I would consider Newport. The employment situation there is much better and crime is low. Also there are aqaurims and Ripleys Believe it Or NOT.

I am a little bias because I was born in Newport there but please do not go to Coos Bay.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie J Lewis View Post
Interesting! Steve knows me, but after all these years in town, I can't say I've ever met him. So, just for the record, I do not know Steve Pickering. I know the name, about like he knows mine. ... ...

To jog your memory ... My father-in-law was the preacher at the church in North Bend where the Unity Church is now.

Coquille is not a bad place to live. It is NOT on the coast. It is not any better off than Coos Bay. Actually Coos Bay is one of the few cities on the coast without the serious financial issues (Budget) of the rest of the coast. Coquille, like Coos Bay and many coastal cities, is turning it's downtown into one big junk, second hand, and antique store. Not a good thing for any city.

Curry County is the one with the most financial woes.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 22,491 times
Can Connie and Steve please meet and kiss or something, and then
report back?

I can't decide whether this relationship is love-hate or hate-hate.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhatCivlized View Post
Can Connie and Steve please meet and kiss or something, and then
report back?

I can't decide whether this relationship is love-hate or hate-hate.

Don't start something I would have to finish. There are some things even I won't do.

Besides Connie is friends with my Niece and she (the Niece) would tell my Wife. "LOL".

We just have differing opinions on the economics and livability of the area.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM

56 posts, read 124,173 times
Lots of retirees, a fair amount of meth head/welfare types, and not much to do unless you are an outdoor type. I'm not. Even though you always hear great platitudes about taking long walks on the beautiful beaches, when you go down to the beaches they are empty, desolate. Did I say lots of retirees? Oh, I did, didn't I? Not much else to say...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM

I like desolate beaches. This ain't California Toto.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardoman View Post
Did I say lots of retirees? Oh, I did, didn't I? Not much else to say...
There's nothing wrong with retirees, of course, but there is a notable lack of demographic balance. It's really the lack of young adults and middle-aged professionals that you notice. Southern Arizona and Florida have gray-heavy populations, too, but they are balanced by reasonable proportions of 20-somethings, 30-somethings, 40-somethings and 50-somethings.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
There's nothing wrong with retirees, of course, but there is a notable lack of demographic balance. It's really the lack of young adults and middle-aged professionals that you notice. Southern Arizona and Florida have gray-heavy populations, too, but they are balanced by reasonable proportions of 20-somethings, 30-somethings, 40-somethings and 50-somethings.
You are correct,

Those under fifty who have not moved are mostly, local business owners or those who can not afford to move out. The rest are multi generational families who are comfortable with where they are.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardoman View Post
Lots of retirees, a fair amount of meth head/welfare types, and not much to do unless you are an outdoor type. I'm not. Even though you always hear great platitudes about taking long walks on the beautiful beaches, when you go down to the beaches they are empty, desolate. Did I say lots of retirees? Oh, I did, didn't I? Not much else to say...
Okay, I am super worried about this meth-head thing. That really scares me. For both noise and theft and crazy that is different from my quiet crazy that just involves my bed for several days, not the kind that includes theft and violence. Yes, I am a fixed income person. I am in reedsport, and it's quiet for the most part. I like it here fine, one of those that loves the weather. But I don't have a car. And I need services in Coos Bay No, not free ones, I have healthcare :P And I love Coos Bay. I love historic buildings, farmer's markets, food co-op. Just a lot of little things Coos Bay has that gives me a small throwback in time to where I used to live, but without the high rent. I like that they are doing little things to make downtown interesting, so I need to get in before all of the rents are sky high. I'm just trying to circle in on the best (quietest) neighborhoods. When I moved to this complex it was all retirees and it was great. Now I get to enjoy my neighbor's music when she decides we all need to hear what she's rocking out to. I swear, people see my tattoos and turn it up to 11. In every way that analogy could be applicable.

So moving on to people with less issues. My parents came to visit me and fell in love with those desolate beaches also, as we are a family of people that don't enjoy people They put their house up for sale and plan to move here. For their sake I said stay here in Reedsport because other than a sketchy few moments at the 24hr laundromat, it feels very very safe (barring the two meth fueled police standoffs :P ) But they are trying to get here with a laundry list of requirements for under 100k, preferably for 70 to 80k. I am starting to get stabby because they may just have to have neighbors if they don't want to dig a well or live where the land is always squishy. Oh, and they also have to live within a 30 minute drive to the ocean. I may just have to keep ramming this really great house here in Reedsport down their throats. I'm concerned they may pick a bad area because we are looking in Coquille and Myrtle Point for them as well, and I don't know anything about those towns.

Wow. This was long. I hope that it was at least mildly entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon