Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times

Advertisements

Check out this link, there allot of info: Crater Lake info? - My CoolWorks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM

45 posts, read 129,313 times
Thanks, Terryj. I read that in a prior post I had sent. It was very helpful.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
Anything new about life in Chiloquin? Most posts seem to be as old as the last time I visited 3-4 years ago. I have some acerage in the Spague Pines (Subdivision?) and hope to build my retirement home within 5 years and be in it within 8-10 for the foreseable future. I plan on fishing and horseback riding when I do get there.
Was unaware of the police services, or should I say Lack there of... will I be safe hmmm, makes me think if I'm on the right track or need to rethink.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Not sure where Sprague Pines is - though I'd guess it is in the general area off Sprague River Rd, to the north and east of the town of Chiloquin. Chiloquin proper is a very poor area with a large share of problems.

The thing to remember about the area is that it is a remote, "do for yourself" area - you'd be looking at 45 minutes to an hour to the closest town services (grocery, doctor, etc) and even that closest "big" town is on the limited side.

Klamath County, outside the city of Klamath Falls, is served by volunteer fire and ambulance departments (in most cases) and the Klamath County Sheriff. The Sheriff's office is based in Klamath Falls and there is no actual patrol (unless you live in the South Suburbs, which is another story entirely). They respond to calls based on availability, urgency and distance. There are not more than 2-3 deputies on, MAX, at any time (there are hours of no service or only 1 deputy), to cover the 6,000 square mile area.

It does snow in the winter, this winter has been particularly heavy and we've been having an extended cold snap. It was -5 in Sprague River this morning, according to my weather page (+12 by my house, about 15 miles to the west). The county plows the single main county road in the winter and everything else is your responsibility. While we do get more sun than just about anywhere in Oregon, this is not a sunny state by the standards of the areas of the west to the south of us. We get about 220 days of sun a year, with the wet and cloudy days concentrated December-April. It is high desert here (around 4,000' feet), and very dry - the intensity of the higher altitude sun takes people by surprise.

For a lot of people, the remoteness, the space, the solitude and the "live your own life" aspect is heaven. For other people, not so much. Whether it is for you or not, you'll have to decide. I'd recommend renting something in the summer, seeing what you think about the concepts involved. There isn't any hurry to buy, land and home prices aren't moving in the more rural parts of Klamath County.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 01-20-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM

28 posts, read 61,149 times
Default No Grocery Store in Chiloquin?

I'm looking at land in Chiloquin area and saw this thread where it said there was no shopping services in town. How big is the Family Food Center? From google maps it looks to be pretty good sized (certainly no standard grocery store). Isn't it large enough to make do for basic groceries rather than traveling to K-Falls?

cm

Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabc123 View Post
I'm looking at land in Chiloquin area and saw this thread where it said there was no shopping services in town. How big is the Family Food Center? From google maps it looks to be pretty good sized (certainly no standard grocery store). Isn't it large enough to make do for basic groceries rather than traveling to K-Falls?

cm
There are two (very small) markets in Chiloquin, both pretty much the size and style of a gas station market. There are basic things in boxes and cans and a very limited supply of frozen items. In the larger of the two, the "produce" section is mostly potatoes and onions and is maybe 4' of shelf space. The prices are outrageous as well, at least half again as much to double the prices in Klamath Falls.

It'll do if you've forgotten something very basic (and they actually have it) rather than driving 35 minutes to town.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Chiloquin is fine. It's very tiny. A few houses, a pretty good, although expensive little country store with a hot deli. The last time I was there, there was a small burger place that served good burgers.

There is a bridge in the middle of town that seems to always have a few drunks hanging out. It's not a place where there is any work but that doesn't matter if you are retired or have other income.

When you live that far away from town, you learn to drive to town only once every 4-6 weeks and do all your errands in one trip. There is good shopping and a hospital in Klamath Falls, which isn't as far away as the moon. Lots of people in the USA live that far from a town and shop in that way, and they survive just fine.

Because the town is so tiny, the majority of the people around that area are on small acreages outside of town. It's very rural.

I've owned land there that my family used for fishing vacations. A change in work schedules left it unused so I sold it. It's a very attractive area.

I liked going into the country store. Not for major shopping but to get sodas or deli. it's typical country store. Everyone is friendly and you catch up on the gossip. Favorite topic is how the fish are biting.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Huge difference between a summer vacation and being a full time resident. The question was: "Isn't it large enough to make do for basic groceries rather than traveling to KFalls?" and the answer is still "no."

The increase, in the last two years, in petty crime around the main area of Chiloquin is appalling. All small towns have some problems with this, but the local increase has been huge.

A local couple started a little internet coffee shop and after being broken in to twice in a year, gave up. Pacific Power is removing all of the streetlights because they city council won't pay for the lights that keep getting shot out and Pacific Power is tired of replacing them. The community center and library have had windows smashed out and last year all of the glass doors and windows in the entry were smashed out, which cost around $5k to fix, since the hinges and frames were damaged. The box area of the post office was vandalized, boxes damaged, mail stolen, windows smashed.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
My Brother-in-Law took a full time year round job at the lake. After a year the isolation was just too much.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM

247 posts, read 744,907 times
I'd look at Prospect a whole lot more seriously than that part of the Basin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon