Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,038 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a small piece of land on which to build a small homestead. I'm new at this and still in the planning stages. I think five acres would be nice, possibly with a creek or pond. Any kind of a house or outbuilding would be a plus. I have no idea what the cost would be, I think I could spend about 250k. I'm looking for ideas about towns or areas...prices...
Anybody else done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,762,265 times
What do you want to DO on the homestead? If you want to farm, what crop? What animals? What kind of weather do you want, and what are willing to accept as far as rain, need for irrigation, snow, length of growing season, heat in summer? Do you want "city" utilities or to be off-grid? Do you have kids you plan on sending to school? How far of a drive to town of anything town-like do you want to have?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM

86 posts, read 317,256 times
Default count me in too

I too am looking into buying some land in the 5-10 acre range to build a mini farm. Currently I live in north central FL ON A 10 ACRE mini farm with 1800 Sq ft house and 4 stall brick barn and tack room. I am looking for something comparable in a region close to a city that I can find work. I am in the medical field in the imaging sciences and know that portland has a lot to offer in that regards. We have 5 horses currently but hope to only take a 2-3 when we move and have birds and 3 dogs. Looking for a place close to " culture" such as wineries, theater, cool lavender farms and orchards. I hope to be able to plant some of my own grapes to and make my own wine for my own consumption as I currently am doing now. I hear that the Albany area near Corvallis is nice as is the area up by Newberg. Thoughts? Cussing ,discussing??

Old 07-13-2008, 07:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,887,293 times
Grapes in Florida? There are wineries up and down the Willamette Valley probably not 'in' Albany but outside it. There are wineries 'in' Hillsboro' and I imagine the areas just outside it to the north and south. You will be 15 or more miles from any 'theater'. But I have seen amazing concerts and theatrical productions in small town community theaters so you have to define "culture" and also "close".

H

Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM

86 posts, read 317,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Grapes in Florida? There are wineries up and down the Willamette Valley probably not 'in' Albany but outside it. There are wineries 'in' Hillsboro' and I imagine the areas just outside it to the north and south. You will be 15 or more miles from any 'theater'. But I have seen amazing concerts and theatrical productions in small town community theaters so you have to define "culture" and also "close".

H
Yeah we grow muscadine grapes here in florida which are indigenous to the south. Most people have never heard of them as most people are familiar with the vinifera which the rest of the world grows. ANyhow, being "close" to anything means 30 -45 minutes driving. I know oregon can be spread out but then again the wiliamette valley seems to be a pretty close drive. I mean, you can drive from portland to eugene in an hour? is that right? I define "culture" as just having good bars and rests. I am really keen on wine bars and the beer theaters of portland and the cool independent shops and stores. I guess anything other then what I am currently living in would suffice:-) Florida is a cess pool for lack of better terms though i'm sure it's a nirvana for some.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,608,661 times
Portland to Eugene is more like a 2-hour drive. It's about 110 miles.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,634,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs5150 View Post
Yeah we grow muscadine grapes here in florida which are indigenous to the south. Most people have never heard of them as most people are familiar with the vinifera which the rest of the world grows. ANyhow, being "close" to anything means 30 -45 minutes driving. I know oregon can be spread out but then again the wiliamette valley seems to be a pretty close drive. I mean, you can drive from portland to eugene in an hour? is that right? I define "culture" as just having good bars and rests. I am really keen on wine bars and the beer theaters of portland and the cool independent shops and stores. I guess anything other then what I am currently living in would suffice:-) Florida is a cess pool for lack of better terms though i'm sure it's a nirvana for some.
Yes I know what muscadines are! Check in the Newburg, Sherwood area, as well as Hubbard, Mt. Angel, Silver Falls. Look for something that has good access to Interstate 5. Good Luck, gona be pretty pricey. Many mini ranches in clackamus county, Damascus is another area. There you would need access to Interstate 205.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,159 times
You won't find a five acre parcel anywhere near Portland that costs $250,000. When the Californian's started moving up here in really large numbers in the early 90's, they drove up the prices on all real estate. A lot of them bought those "mini-farms" for around $250,000 but not any more. Got $500,000 to $750,000 to spend for that five acres? You MIGHT even get an old house on the property for that. Most counties now have (due to land use planning) buildable acreage minimums. More like 15 to 20 acres in some counties.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM

77 posts, read 300,078 times
My first thought when reading your post was Newberg, and then you mentioned it in a follow up post. They have a big hospital and are close to Portland. I'd have to do a search, but I think you could find a buildable piece of property in the area (maybe closser to McMinnville) for close to $250K. Maybe near Dayton too- you could commute to Salem and Portland fairly easy from there.

One thing to be concerned of with a creek is seasonal flooding, but it is important to have water rights because it gets very dry here in July and August. The lay of the land and availability of water will be important considerations for you.

The other part is what your financing is. The best deals are older manufactured homes on land because they are hard to find financing for. Some are totally livable and establish buildability for your property. Many have outbuildings. Cash speaks very loudly! Let me know if I can help.

Have you ever X-rayed flowers? They are so beautiful! i have a friend who works in imaging and she did a snake once- very cool.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 PM

367 posts, read 1,021,562 times
I've been through Oregon a few times. The closer you get to Portland or Salem, the more expensive land gets. the further west you go, the cheaper. Same applies to the state of Washington.

there are nice areas around Spokane if you decide Washington..no income tax.
Oregon has no sales tax. both are beautiful states.
the land in Oregon over by the Idaho border is gorgeous. cheaper, and if you're wanting to work the land and don't mind not having the big city, its a great place. I'm not too sure about jobs though. We're truck driver's, my husband and me, and we fell in love with the area. unfortunately, there's a lot of spruce trees that play havoc on our allergies. bordering washington, oregon and idaho, but in the state of idaho there is a great town, called lewisville. there is a big potlatch company that basically supports the area in terms of jobs. There is also just about every amenity you want. Boise Idaho is a few hours drive and a great scenic drive.
hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon