U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 12,317 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are in Portland Sept 14 and can drive around OR Thurs, Fri, Sat only. We know that's not much time but it's all we have. We're seeking a great spot to retire to. We have home in FL so we'd spend May-Oct in OR.
Here's what we're seeking:
- lots of sunny days
- population of town perhaps 70,000. But, if it's a small town (10,000) and within 30 mi. of big town that's ok
- minimal auto congestion
- we love water, so we'd like to be on coast but I'm guessing that means a lot of fog/mist/rain. Am I right? Fog/mist between Nov-April is OK but we're seeking great, sunny summers.
- within 200 miles of Portland airport
- if not on coast we'd like to be on or near a beautiful, rushing river or a lake,
but if we can find an area on/near coast that meets our weather and other criteria, great.
- lots of nearby golf courses
- good air quality, not a lot of pollen
- no mosquitoes. We're from WI and they drive us nuts in summer
- I like to fish, fly fishing nearby is a plus.
- movie theaters and good shopping within 10 miles
- we'd like a nice neighborhood and can spend $400K to $650K on a home.
- not seeking a poor area with high unemployment
- low crime
- nice restaurants. It's OK to have McDonalds but there needs to be nice independant restaurants.
- nice people with an opportunity to meet other nice people.
- near National Parks a plus, we love clean air, a lot of greenery and pine trees.
- it's not important for us to be near sports, or the arts, we prefer the outdoors.
- good hospitals and medical centers

- Been to OR many times and love your state!

Thanx so much for your help.
Vanzance
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,456,939 times
Prioritize your list for us. What is negotiable, and what is non-negotiable. For instance, there is only one national park in Oregon - Crater Lake - and it is nowhere near the Portland Airport. Lots of sunny days means eastern Oregon, also not generally near the Portland Airport.

Good hospitals means Willamette Valley. Most other areas of the state have primary care centers, where they stabilize you and ship you to Portland for more extensive procedures. If you plan to rely on Medicare, you may have trouble finding a primary care physician. Medicare only pays Oregon health care providers about 60% of what it pays Florida health care providers. Many doctors see medicare patients as a financially losing proposition. If you have veteran's health benefits, there is a major VA hospital in Portland, and a regional VA hospital in Roseburg.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,465,563 times
I'm clueless; but if you find your "dream town" please let me know so I can move there also ! No kidding !

Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 19,084,117 times
I'd draw a circle around PDX and check out all areas that come close to your criteria (including 'hopping the border'...). Take a good look at Hood River and slightly east. You might like the Columbia River water sports and Gorge + Mt Hood and Mt Adams. Portland EZ 1 hr away, (except for a few days of freezing rain in winter, (good time to stay home a read a book by the fire). OR and WA Coast is ~ 2 hrs away, and you can go there when the weather is suitable (when very nice and very stormy). Find a nice joint to rent from a homeowner who has an empty Beach house 300 days / yr. They might appreciate it getting some use, and you could trade 'work' for lodging.

Might want to check out the Salmon Bake in Depot Bay this coming weekend. And don't forget to take a nice evening walk on the beach at Hug Point (just N of Arch Cape) Walk north on beach ~ 1/4mile for waterfalls, nice colors of soils / rocks, and caves, and tide pools on the ole 'Stage Coach Road' blasted out of the rock. (original Highway 1 @ low tide).

Have a great trip, and treat yourself to a fresh steelhead dinner (had one tonight !)

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM

136 posts, read 684,824 times
Hello, If you can spend $450-600K on a home you can move anywhere that you choose to in Oregon.....what a great position to be in!!!!!!! I don't live on the coast but have always liked and enjoyed Astoria and it is only 90 minutes from Portland. It is like a little mini-San Francisco with great old homes and a vibrant and historic downtown set upon a hill with great views of the ocean and Columbia River. But it is wet all along the Oregon coast with 60-80 inches or rain a year and lots of low hanging cloads and wind. However the summers are great and generally very sunny and much fewer bugs than in WI. Good Luck on finding your special place. Not sure of your political/religious leanings, but many smaller towns in Oregon are very conservative, in particular the stretch from Medford to Roseburg along the I-5 corridor. I've lived there before and have friends in that area who are now looking to move due to the high level of conservatism found there and lack of other progressive individuals to connect with. One item that I have found very useful is the local and county election data that you can get from multiple sources to get a good sense of the political and cultural climate of a specific town or location. They usually have that data in this site, but my favorite is this link: Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,339 times
Florence on Highway 101 is on the coast.....it doesn't fit ALL your suggestions but it does meet alot of them !!!! That's why we retired here from California almost 5 years ago......haven't regretted it at all.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 AM

32 posts, read 124,729 times
I would suggest Bend, La Grande, or Grants Pass. None of them are near the Portland Airport, however La Grande is close to the Idaho border and Boise. There are always tiny airports that take people to PDX.

Bend is growing exponentially, so I can't say much about minimal auto congestion or a maximum residency of 70,000. But it is near some good golf courses, has a river running right through it with excellent fishing opportunities, and is surrounded by all sorts of outdoor entertainment (backpacking, skiing, white water rafting, etc. etc. etc.). Bend has a LOT of good shopping, anything you could possibly need.

Grants Pass is the same way - it has the Rogue River running through it and is surrounded on all sides by mountains with your choice of any outdoor activity. The town is small and has a comfortable feel IMO.

The Columbia Gorge is also a good suggestion.

I lived in Newport on the coast for a while, and in the summers, while the valley was getting scorched, Newport and Lincoln City were drenched in fog. Sure, there were sunny days, but overall, the coast sees a lot of rain.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 AM

712 posts, read 964,428 times
Visit Bend...it meets most of your requirements.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM

540 posts, read 1,399,119 times
vanzance,
I think you'd love Corvallis.
Especially given the time of year you will be here (vice Florida) we have PLENTY of sunny days for you, great access to the coast, the Willamette River is right here and there is excellent access to the McKenzie and other rivers where the flyfishing is prime.
Quite a few very nice little independent restaurants (Big River comes to mind as one of my favorites).
As far as golf; Corvallis Country Club is an excellent course, the Springhill Country Club is one of the best values in the NW and is a terrific course (I'm a member). Additionally, there is Trysting Tree (the OSU course), Mallard Creek in Lebanon (about 20 minutes), Golf Club of Oregon (also about 15-20minutes)...and a few other rabbit tracks.
I think the only thing on your wish list that Corvallis doesn't really have is the shopping (although Eugene, Salem, and Albany have most of what you'd want and it is a pretty easy drive...although more than 10 miles).
You can get a wonderful home in the greater Corvallis area for the price you are talking about.

Check it out...and please feel free to follow up on any questions with me.

Dave Pautsch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon