Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
I love Oregon but it has gone looney.... I will miss it, but it has been taken over.... Too much crime, foreclosures, bad schools, mom and pop stores closing....
It's sad but that is my clue I have to leave in 12'...
Have you been directly affected by any of those issues? I don't believe they are just in Oregon. The beauty here is still rampant and at times heart-stopping.

The only thing any of us can really count on is change. Our perception is what makes wherever we are intolerable, tolerable or over the top joyous.

We get to choose our emotional state at any given time. That's quite a gift, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Actually, Virginia Beach, VA has quite a bit of beach, as does the region around Kitty Hawk, NC... you just have to find a way to get past the traffic to reach it.
Yeah... that was a problem.. getting there! Maybe next time! ha. The Pacific is my ocean of choice so far!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM

109 posts, read 194,671 times
Oregon to me has become a close second to California and it's problems.... We ARE a nanny state!! Owning a small business here (for me) is near impossible with all the red tape, DEQ, Enviro's, taxes, etc... This state is no longer small business friendly.... If you work for the Gov. your "golden", but I refuse to be a tax consumer... I need to go to a state where small business is promoted, not looked down upon like here... I am not happy leaving, but you have to do what you have to do for your family ya know...... You can change perception, but that does not put food on the table...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM

8 posts, read 11,421 times
I have always wanted to move, then I watched this movie and it was filmed in and around Oregon. I couldn't believe that the forest was real!! Our forest is puny and brush so thick. Finding out more I can't get enough. I would miss the only family members I do have, but if I stay I feel like I'll loose this one. I feel like Oregon would make mine stronger. I want to fall in love again, I think I could with Oregon.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
I moved to Oregon (Eugene) in '98 and lived there till '05 when my job was transferred.

I grew up in Seattle, and have always liked the mild, maritime climate of Seattle, but Eugene seemed to exemplify this climate. In other words, not quite as cold, a little warmer year-round, but still nice rainstorms.

In addition, Eugene is almost the perfect sized city. Big enough for some nice resturants and other cultural amenities, but not so big that people are constantly pissed off about traffic and such. Plus, the college atmosphere was great.

As I consider retirement locations, Eugene would be on my top 5 list. Love the mild climate, the rain, and the nice summers. Could be one of the most perfect areas in North America. Really.

Last edited by pw72; 03-07-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
So, how did you get introduced to Oregon?
I'm a native Texan. Hubby had lived all over the world... didn't move to the states until he was in high school. He hated Texas. I was itchin' to see new places (and get away from my crazy family! lol) He got a job offer in California, so we went. Hated California! Ugh! Major stress. He heard about a job in Eugene.

Eugene? *blank stares* Eh?

None of us had ever heard of the place. The only city we knew about in Oregon was Portland (of course). People told us "Oregon people are weird... don't go there..." But we thought it HAD to be better than California or Texas! So off we went.

SO glad we didn't listen to people!

Quote:
If you are from here, have you always lived here?
I think native Oregonians are some of the luckiest people in the world. I wish I had been born and raised here. I'm happy that our children are being brought up here. They are having a blast! And I often feel like I'm enjoying a second childhood just by living here and being active with my kids and hubby. Oregon is an awesome place to explore and be a kid again!

Quote:
Did you leave for awhile and then come back?
Yes! Actually... after living and loving Oregon the first time around for about 3 years, hubby got a job offer in Seattle making major bucks. We figured... heck... it's still the Pacific Northwest, right? If we love Oregon this much, we'll love Washington, too! In fact, we thought we'd love it more. You know, because it was a bigger city with more to offer and stuff...

Not.

We were back in Oregon within a year. (We were REALLY lucky in that the people that they hired to replace hubby when he left Eugene didn't work out... so exactly a year later there was an opening and hubby was able to slip back in! Yay!)

Quote:
What are the top things that you love about this state?
Top Ten Things I Love About Oregon (in no particular order):
1. the coast
2. the camping
3. the really, really, incredibly clear blue lakes (Waldo, Crater...)
4. watching salmon spawn
5. the amazing hiking and outdoorsy adventures
6. how natural most people seem here: it's totally acceptable for women to not wear makeup, just be yourself, come as you are type attitude... Oregon people (for the most part) aren't pretentious. I love that.
7. the FOOD (James Beard was RIGHT!)
8. how green everything stays all year
9. the birds - it's an amazing place to watch birds...
10. the gas pumping thing - I actually really do like not having to pump my own gas! lol Especially when it's cold and yucky outside. I can sit in my nice warm car with my seat heaters on and relax while somebody else does it for me. Oregon spoils me.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
One thing I really like about Oregon, NO ONE owns the beaches they are public. Unlike most coastal states the beaches are private, one of the best things the people of Oregon did was to pass the "Beach bill".
Totally agree! The 1967 Beach Bill is one of many things that really makes Oregon special.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM

149 posts, read 276,793 times
My love - o -meter is still climbing away... Today was an unbelievably gorgeous sunny day here in Newport. I really thought I'd be consumed by the ocean, and went over to the beach - but I actually found myself drawn to the bay and spent most of the day there. I watched ships going in and out, "talked" with one lone sea lion sitting by himself in the sun, and completely relaxed taking a ton of pictures.

New experience for today - diving ducks! I've seen ducks go under water before, but these guys dive down and stay for a long time. Had to watch about 20 dives before I stopped worrying they were gonna drown :-)

I'm staying at this cool B&B that's a converted riverboat called the Newport Belle, and the owners are wonderful to talk with. I'm going with them on Friday to the chamber of commerce lunch so I can meet some of the business owners - which is cool. I definitely never experienced this kind of friendliness in LA. I'm sure it is there, but I personally never experienced it (so please don't think I'm bashing, just stating my impressions).

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurlsMyLuv View Post
I have always wanted to move, then I watched this movie and it was filmed in and around Oregon. I couldn't believe that the forest was real!! Our forest is puny and brush so thick. Finding out more I can't get enough. I would miss the only family members I do have, but if I stay I feel like I'll loose this one. I feel like Oregon would make mine stronger. I want to fall in love again, I think I could with Oregon.
I came from Kansas and they have sturdy, stunted, hardy trees... and when I saw the trees here, I wept. Yes, I cry at scenery at the drop of a hat. Waterfalls, bridges, the ocean, I could go on. I hope you can come and at least visit. It might change your life.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghouse View Post
My love - o -meter is still climbing away... Today was an unbelievably gorgeous sunny day here in Newport. I really thought I'd be consumed by the ocean, and went over to the beach - but I actually found myself drawn to the bay and spent most of the day there. I watched ships going in and out, "talked" with one lone sea lion sitting by himself in the sun, and completely relaxed taking a ton of pictures.

New experience for today - diving ducks! I've seen ducks go under water before, but these guys dive down and stay for a long time. Had to watch about 20 dives before I stopped worrying they were gonna drown :-)

I'm staying at this cool B&B that's a converted riverboat called the Newport Belle, and the owners are wonderful to talk with. I'm going with them on Friday to the chamber of commerce lunch so I can meet some of the business owners - which is cool. I definitely never experienced this kind of friendliness in LA. I'm sure it is there, but I personally never experienced it (so please don't think I'm bashing, just stating my impressions).
I love that no matter how long people have lived here they NEVER SEE IT ALL. What a wonderful day. Glad no ducks drowned..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon