Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

There are currently, lots of tourist industry jobs begging for workers. None of those pay enough to support a family on one salary.

There are places in Oregon where rent is less expensive, but nowhere in Oregon is rent cheap.

And really, people who want recomendations for a place to live, a few of their likes and dislikes would help. There is a lot of variety in Oregon.

Incidentily, there are plenty of places in Oregon where construction, heavy equipment, and truck driving jobs are going begging. Those can be living wage jobs, if a person is good at budgeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are currently, lots of tourist industry jobs begging for workers. None of those pay enough to support a family on one salary.

There are places in Oregon where rent is less expensive, but nowhere in Oregon is rent cheap.

And really, people who want recomendations for a place to live, a few of their likes and dislikes would help. There is a lot of variety in Oregon.

Incidentily, there are plenty of places in Oregon where construction, heavy equipment, and truck driving jobs are going begging. Those can be living wage jobs, if a person is good at budgeting.
Construction, heavy equipment, and truck driving jobs are pretty much everywhere in Oregon, for people who have experience. Also medical jobs.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 PM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
With all that said, I hope you find what you want. I'm glad you're thinking ahead, and planning on finding work. Nuff said on that. There are allot of other places besides Portland and the valley to look. You may want to check out S. Oregon. Ashland, Medford and Grants Pass for example. If you don't mind something a little smaller Roseburg is my favorite and tad colder Klamath Falls may be worth a look. What ever you do I wish you well and good luck.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

And I don’t want to hear, “You should have bought a house.”
I told that to a good friend 30 some years ago, he continues to rent today.

I'm on my 3rd home, no mortgage, how nice is that?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
I told that to a good friend 30 some years ago, he continues to rent today.

I'm on my 3rd home, no mortgage, how nice is that?
Nice for you, I suppose, to each their own.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:30 PM

111 posts, read 165,421 times
Quote:
Yep again. I earned a pretty decent wage when I lived in Portland, decent for most anywhere else. But in later years, my wages couldn’t keep up with very high rent increases occurring in Portland. That’s why I kept moving around. Until I moved out of Portland altogether.

And I don’t want to hear, “You should have bought a house.”

For many reasons, I had never had any desire to be a homeowner. People should be able to make choices where they live.
Congratulations on paying off your landlord's mortgage. I'm sure she is very happy!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Nice for you, I suppose, to each their own.
Yeah, thank you. Good long term investment which has paid off nicely. I think of it as 47 years free rent and tax free income.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Not everyone's situation is the same.

I remember being hounded for pages and pages and pages by regular poster here (who doesn't even live in Oregon but takes every opportunity to slam it) for being a renter. The guy simply wouldn't let up, and according to him, I was basically contributing to the downfall of society because of being a renter. Thing is, I'm not a renter and haven't been one for a long time. He just wanted to take a bone and run with it, I guess, and he brayed on ad nauseum.

Nonetheless, I'm sometimes nostalgic for the days when I didn't have to deal with/pay for property maintenance or mess with a yard. Under the right circumstances, renting isn't a bad choice, and I can see why someone like Minervah, who I believe doesn't drive so consequently needed to live close-in would prefer to live in a city apartment rather than a single family residential neighborhood.

Not interested in a "debate," just pointing out that home ownership doesn't work for everyone and there are valid reasons for that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-14-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt503 View Post
Congratulations on paying off your landlord's mortgage. I'm sure she is very happy!
Never lived in one place long enough to pay off anyone's rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
Yeah, thank you. Good long term investment which has paid off nicely. I think of it as 47 years free rent and tax free income.
Glad you're happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not everyone's situation is the same.

I remember being hounded for pages and pages and pages by regular poster here (who doesn't even live in Oregon but takes every opportunity to slam it) for being a renter. The guy simply wouldn't let up, and according to him, I was basically contributing to the downfall of society because of being a renter. Thing is, I'm not a renter and haven't been one for a long time. He just wanted to take a bone and run with it, I guess, and he brayed on ad nauseum.

Nonetheless, I'm sometimes nostalgic for the days when I didn't have to deal with/pay for property maintenance or mess with a yard. Under the right circumstances, renting isn't a bad choice, and I can see why someone like Minervah, who I believe doesn't drive so consequently needed to live close-in would prefer to live in a city apartment rather than a single family residential neighborhood.

Not interested in a "debate," just pointing out that home ownership doesn't work for everyone and there are valid reasons for that.
Yes, I've heard it all from the "Why did you never buy a house" people. I have my reasons, none of which I feel the need to go into, because I don't feel I owe anyone any justification or explanation. I also don't intend to criticize their life choices because I really don't care how others choose to live their lives or spend their money. I do believe, though, that those people who are always so adamant in their self-righteous criticism of my choices may have just a kernel of a doubt about theirs.

But as you say, there is nothing of interest to "debate" here so I don't intend to go any further.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt503 View Post
I can say with 100% certainty that there are people that should not be homeowners for various reasons. I've crunched numbers for people before and talked them out of buying a home because it didn't pencil out for their particular situation. I've also seen people buy homes and devalue them by failing to maintain them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon