U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-31-2012, 01:05 AM

2,811 posts, read 1,557,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
...some of the natives like myself have moved away...
Good lord.

I can understand moving away for whatever reason.

But you left Oregon for Houston?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM

30 posts, read 30,598 times
Default RE: East coast and west coast

I would not compare Charlotte, NC or Columbia, SC or some of the other places you mentioned to Oregon. Granted statistically, there may be information that shows Oregon might be doing better but that may not be the reality. Before being so positive about it, you should visit and get a "feel" of the place before judging it as a utopia. Granted I love Oregon, I spent my childhood on the coast and in my opinion think it's the best place for kids to grow up. There is so much to do outside and experience. And I would love to move back there but the reality of it, it's just not feasible for my family. Maybe later on down the road, but not right now.

Columbia, SC is a great place to raise a family (I should know- I lived for 3 years while my son was young and in some instances regret moving). I've heard good things about Charlotte and numberous places in NC as well bad. I think the key is to experience the place instead of just going off of what you read and see online. Who knows, it may be your utopia but other people may not see it that way considering the struggles that they have in order to pay the bills and put food on the table. As to the schools, schools on the east coast may be struggling for money and hurting but the kids are learning at a level about 1 or 2 years ahead. So if I were to move my family out there, I may be doing some harm to my children's education because they will be ahead than the other students in their grade. It is a consideration for people when moving.

Also, the culture and the people of these areas are very, very different. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it may influence a person's feelings about a place (good or bad). Honestly, I think most people who don't like an area depends upon how well they fit in. It's like comparing the north and south on the east coast. Southerners don't particular care for northerners.

You shouldn't dismiss about what people who live there say about Oregon as being pessimistic. I think they are trying to be honest because many people move out there thinking that everything will be perfect and wonderful only to find out it is the complete opposite. They want you and others to be informed.

Go out there and explore Oregon. Believe me it's worth it even if it's only for a short period of time. There is so much to see and explore.

Also- no matter how much crime there is out there in Oregon- still doesn't compare to the Washington DC Metro area.

Unread 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,795,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon_Girl View Post
  • Greener
  • Cleaner
  • Healthier
  • More $$ spent on education and sustainable infrastructure
  • Outdoor recreational opportunities and unspoiled natural areas
  • More progressive social environment
  • Greater diversity of beliefs and values
  • Less poverty and urban decay
  • Less partisan politics
What else?
Oregon Income Tax Brackets 2012 Enjoy paying state income tax. and yes I know they don't have a sales tax.

Unread 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 12,593 times
Lightbulb Skinny trees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
Oregon is so green and loaded with waterfalls because of one thing and that thing is rain! Rain and more rain. As a native Californian, I will say you probably have more trees, but they are skinny and I would say that is due to the lack of sunshine.
Different trees. The Giant Sequoia only grows in scattered pockets of western slopes of the Sierras. The only place that Redwoods grow here in Oregon is in along the coast at the very southwestern corner (an extention of the northern California coastal climate that runs north of Monterrey). What you are seeing along Oregon's coastal range are mostly Douglas-fir (not a true fir); Grand Fir; Sitka spruce; Lodgepole, Ponderosa and Knobcone pine; Western Red Cedar (arborvatea, a false-cedar); Port Orford Cedar (also a false cedar); Pacific Yew; and Western Hemlock. They are different species so they grow differently.
Quote:
I recently went from the coast to Corvallis on both Hwys 20 & 34 and never saw so many downed trees. This just doesn't happen in California.
We also have more intense winter storms along the Oregon coast than California has, with high winds. We lost the largest tree in Oregon, the Klootchy Creek Sitka Spruce Giant (located 5 miles from Seaside/Cannon Beach off US26) in two windstorms in 2006 and 2007. The first broke parts of the tree off at an old lightning strike scar, then the next winter a storm broke the tree off at the 80ft level. The Forest Service cut the snag last year to keep it from falling on visitors. It was over 200' tall with a 17' base diameter. (They left the downed trunk and the stump as 'nurseries' for future giants. )
Quote:
The other thing good about Oregon are it's people. In California it's all about owning a house in a gated community, driving a Mercedes or BMW in other words making the big bucks to keep up with the Joneses. There are no big bucks here so everyone is on a level playing field and other things in life are more important than material things to them.
For the most part, I think Oregonians are more 'laid-back' and less pretentious than Californians. I've lived in both states. I reluctantly moved to California when the spousal unit was transferred and left the state before the ink dried on the divorce papers. I was there for 10 years and hated it! I came to Oregon to do a short job for my employer that was to last about 6 months. When a transfer opportunity came up to move here, I jumped at it! (The ex said he would never move to Oregon, then wound up in Sutherlin 3 years later. ) I've now been here 13 years and love it here.

Last edited by Ostracon; 03-31-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: added OSU link of common tree names

Unread 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM

2,858 posts, read 3,365,529 times
Quote:
Oregon is so green and loaded with waterfalls because of one thing and that thing is rain! Rain and more rain. As a native Californian, I will say you probably have more trees, but they are skinny and I would say that is due to the lack of sunshine.
Sort of. The trees are skinny because they grow too close together. This limits each tree's access to sunlight, so they are forced higher. They can grow so close together because there is adequate moisture. In much dryer climates, trees don't grow so closely.

Quote:
I recently went from the coast to Corvallis on both Hwys 20 & 34 and never saw so many downed trees. This just doesn't happen in California.
Oregon has hurricane force winds on a fairly frequent basis, they are just local news events instead of national news because the steep terrain limits the storm surge damage. It's not like we have a shortage of trees, so we just cut windthrow up and push it to the side to clear the road.

Quote:
California along time ago ruined most of it's rivers for fishing by damming them for reservoirs, because they needed the water for it's people and the crops.
California was developed without concern for the environment. It's sometimes irritating, like blaming the Klamath River for the salmon mortality on the lower Klamath, when California ships the whole Trinity River to the Central Valley. If the Trinity were flowing into the Klamath, the lower Klamath would be a different river.

Quote:
The one thing Oregon has going for it is it's cost of living compaired to California. We bought a house on the coast of Oregon, 50 yards from the ocean that cost us 1/8 of what an equal house on the California Coast would have cost. Weather has a lot to do with it, but I think most has to do with the economy, the lack of high paying jobs, that make it nearly impossible for Oregonions to buy a second house.
More than the economy, I think. I have looked at buying a house on the coast a couple times, but the whole idea was distasteful. It's like buying a full time time share. Why would you want to do that? When I vacation at the coast, I have a selection of house rentals in various communities to choose from. If I'm just going for a weekend, there are some phenomenal B&B options. Somebody else can do the cooking, cleaning and laundry for 0.1% the cost, and I can get the same deal at Glacier or the Grand Canyon.

My second house is on wheels, so I can go wherever I like. It's self-contained, so I can do several days anywhere I like, and have access to better events than can be found only on the coast. For instance:

Oregon Star Party: Home (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/index.cfm - broken link)

Quote:
The other thing good about Oregon are it's people. In California it's all about owning a house in a gated community, driving a Mercedes or BMW in other words making the big bucks to keep up with the Joneses. There are no big bucks here so everyone is on a level playing field and other things in life are more important than material things to them.
I think I'm pretty materialistic, I just buy different stuff. Instead of a gated community, I bought enough land that I can't see my neighbor's yard lights from my house. I have 1/3 mile of creek front, a gazebo in the back yard overlooking the creek, wired for power and ethernet, that doubles as an outside office, an 8' projection TV with THX sound system that rolls up into the ceiling and disappears when I want to entertain, a nice tractor, a nice pickup, etc. Maybe the difference is it's how I want to live. I don't give a crap about the Joneses.

Unread 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM

5,510 posts, read 7,042,357 times
I love Oregon, and I'd love to agree with all those points... but I have to disagree with regards to education.

Oregon has among the shortest school days and the shortest school years in the nation. Why? Budget cuts. They spend more dollars per student annually than a few other states, but so much of what they spend seems to be misspent, and PERS is doing quite a bit of damage to the school system as well.

Oregon is a mess when it comes to education. Honestly if we had known what a mess the public schools were facing here, we might have thought twice about relocating here with our children. We've been very lucky... the elementary experience was for the most part very positive, and the middle school our kids attend is/was great. But the high school experience thus far has been an uphill battle. Completely ridiculous. We have been lucky because our kids have gone to the better schools within the district, and because I am a SAHM who can monitor things closely and be an active parent. We supplement where the district fails. Most students in Oregon aren't as lucky. They come from single-parent homes or both parents must work to provide for the family and parents are not as involved or as aware as they would be otherwise. I think this is partly why there is so much denial when it comes to the schools and how bad they are here. Also, many parents just have nothing else to compare the schools to. Oregon is all they've ever known. That creates a very limited, insular view.

Anyway - that's another thread... Oregon is a great place to live. It's just that while I do love raising our kids here for the outdoors and recreational aspects of life here... the public school system is a thorn in our side.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 03-31-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Unread 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM

2,858 posts, read 3,365,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Oregon has among the shortest school days and the shortest school years in the nation. Why? Budget cuts. They spend more dollars per student annually than a few other states, but so much of what they spend seems to be misspent, and PERS is doing quite a bit of damage to the school system as well.
Just to remind you, there hasn't been an Oregon PERS since January 1, 2004. There have been no contributions to any PERS retirement accounts since 1/1/2004.

Prior to that, anyone hired after January 1, 1996 only got Tier 2, which was a variable account that lost value if the investment fund lost value.

The reason public employers are having so much trouble funding Tier 1 pensions is that they decided not to fund the pensions when they were earned, and instead promised to pay the pensions when people retired, dumping the whole liability on the next generation. Their solution was not to pay any pensions for employees after 1/1/2004, so the next generation of employees will just do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon