Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,664 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I will definately use that tool to get a better idea. We are looking forward to the cooler weather. We are tired of the Florida heat, my bf loves the gloomy, rainy,cool weather. My older daughter loves Siesta Key beaches. Did you know that they are going to take down the St.Pete Pier? I loved going there, but they are building something else there. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Hillsboro is just a regular town, with regular problems you'd find in any city of it's size. I realize I come across as an extreme apologist for the city, but mostly because the posts about Hillsboro are so one-sided and so negative, and often blatantly false or without context.

I'm always puzzled by the people who complain about seeing Hispanic businesses. I think it's a good thing when anyone is able to make a living, regardless of their ethnicity. Would they complain if it were Russian businesses, or Vietnamese? Should you only be allowed to open a restaurant if you're not Caucasian, because everything else is "ghetto"?

I'm Seattle now, but I lived in Hillsboro for 15 years. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my current neighborhood doesn't come close to the safety and low crime rates you find in about 90% of Hillsboro neighborhoods. It's all relative.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Figmalt- I agree with you. Any city is going to have it's regular problems. In central florida we have lots of different ethnicity businesses, especially Hispanic. I've been to the stores and restraunts. I don't have a problem with giving them my business. I think every race has it's bad people,even Caucasian ppl. There are ghettos with white ppl too, not just hispanic and other races. I honestly love trying different foods and things, so I like different ethnicity. I'm actually hoping I can move out of America one day. I want to learn about different cultures and experience new places. I'm Caucasian myself but I don't share that prejudice as long as they are legal to be in the US. I do have a problem if they are here illegally. The crime rate in Hillsboro is lower than Tampa,Fl. However I do believe Tampa has more crime than reported.

We have actually been looking more into the Beaverton Area apartments and I think one place in Cedar Mills. The apartments seem to be a little bit cheaper. We plan on signing a 6mth lease,so we can learn the area and I should have a job by them, so we be able to afford a higher rent. We really want to rent a house, not an apartment. So we are willing to stay in a cheaper place at first, as long as its a safe area. Some of the apartments places are Cornwell Woods, Overlook at Murray Hill, Glenbrook, and Conestoga Park. I dunno if anyone is familiar with these places.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Is anyone familiar with SE 38th St in Hillsboro? There is a duplex for rent there,and wanted to know how the area was?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Are you sure it's Street and not Court or Avenue?

If it's SE 38th Ave, the neighborhood is older, probably 1970-ish. There are some really nice houses and some that are just less well manicured. It can vary quite a bit from street to street. Mostly single-dwelling, family homes.

And actually, the description is probably the same for SE 38th Ct. 38th Ct is really close to Jackson Bottoms, a nature reserve/wetlands area. Lots of trees along River Road in that area.

Neither are in the most trendy areas, but the neighborhoods are fine.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda2489 View Post
We have actually been looking more into the Beaverton Area apartments and I think one place in Cedar Mills. The apartments seem to be a little bit cheaper. We plan on signing a 6mth lease,so we can learn the area and I should have a job by them, so we be able to afford a higher rent. We really want to rent a house, not an apartment. So we are willing to stay in a cheaper place at first, as long as its a safe area. Some of the apartments places are Cornwell Woods, Overlook at Murray Hill, Glenbrook, and Conestoga Park. I dunno if anyone is familiar with these places.
I lived in a complex very near Cornell Woods. The area is right off the freeway, and close to Sunset High School. Our complex was right by a cemetery, so other than the high school noise it wasn't too bad. In general I would say, lots of traffic, sort of noisy, but a nice area (Sunset Hills/Bethany neighborhoods). If IIRC, the apartments themselves were a little older looking.

Glenbrook is right off Hwy 217 and close to the mall. Very busy, lots of traffic. The neighborhood should be fine.

Murray Hill is a nice area, and if you're going to be working at the airport it's actually a decent drive on Scholls Ferry to River Road then Cypress/32nd to 25th. It would probably take you 1/2 hr, possibly longer depending on Scholls Ferry traffic, but it winds through some pretty farmland. It would also save you from the headache of 217. Basically the same advice for Conestoga park. The neighborhoods are all very similar there, but Glenbrook and Conestoga are closer to 217.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon