U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 16,561 times
Smile La Grande

I drove through La Grande a few years ago and was charmed by it. It has such a nice little revitalized downtown and the college is there, too.

I've read over the Chamber of Commerce materials and looked at the paper online.

Can anyone share actual thoughts about La Grande? Brochures are one thing, real experiences another. I'm hoping for a nice quiet place with room for all and not too conservative, not too liberal, but a community that cares.

And about the winter, how bad? I saw it in summer.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REMARKS ABOUT THIS INTERESTING TOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM

2,848 posts, read 3,356,220 times
I work with a woman who just moved away from LaGrande. When I told her I was thinking about retiring there, she looked at me like I was crazy. It is small, and pretty remote. It is also charming, just as you noticed. I think it's a question of personality. If you think it's what you want, you should go for it.

Unread 09-14-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 16,561 times
Thank you Larry for your post. I don't know enough about LaGrande to know if it is what I want, hence my post. I am hoping some people who have lived there can comment on the town, as to whether the college has things going on for the community, does the community have a nice pull-together attitude, are there fun little festivals, is there a corn maze, is there a compounding pharmacy, any good veterinarians, etc. I'm a stick in the mud so it may be a good place for me.

Unread 09-14-2007, 08:35 PM

177 posts, read 614,375 times
I lived in LaGrande about 15-16 years ago while attending college there. One good thing is there are no greeks,so no wild frat parties, etc. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are parties, but most of them take place off campus. The college used to have oktoberfest in the fall, in the spring they would have a Native American festival with dancing and that yummy fried bread! I think the college is pretty active in the community. It's small (student population was 1,800 when I was there)and friendly. The college originally started as a teacher's college, so there is an elementary school on campus. We let the kids trick or treat the dorms one year, you put a sign on your door if you wanted them to trick-or-treat you, that was fun! I like small towns so LaGrande was a nice place to go to school. I suggest you visit LaGrande and take some day trips to Baker City, Boise,and to the west Pendleton. You might also want to visit Enterprise and Joseph on your way to beautiful Wallowa Lake, they have a tram there you can take to the top of the mountain, it's a beautiful view up there. LaGrande, like most other small Oregon towns has limited jobs, so if you are looking for a job, it might take a while to find one.

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Default Mike G.

Hi there. I was a native of la Grande for 46 years, and here's the goods.
Yes, there is a small college (Eastern Oregon University) which I recieved a degree from (in social services) in 1986. No, it does not interact much with the community. Unfortunately, the college folk keep to themselves in little cliques. Sorry!
It is a very conservative town, and unfortunately (again) is not a "pull-together" community. this is probably La Grande's biggest drawbacK. (According to my father, it's been this way since the railroad (once, the largest employer, next to the logging industry) switched from steam, to diesel. a lot of jobs were lost. This happened about 1949-50.
There used to be a raft race every spring, but this ended about 20 years ago .. was a lotta fun. Not much else in the way of festivals.
No compounding Pharmacy, unless it would be Red Cross drug.
Does have some good Vet's though. Lot's of horses in the Valley. I kept some rabbits (as pets) and found a really good Vet who treated them very well!
There is a small artist community, with some talented people.
You may take this post for what it is. As a native, I may have a bias. But ...
It is in a beautiful location however, and some people who move there love it. You have the Wallowa Mountains to the East, one of the great, "undiscovered" Wilderness areas in the lower 48. (Hey! What am I doing, I still plan to go back there to backpack this summer. Forget I mentioned it. LOL) Warning! It's very windy in the Winter. If you move there, look for a place nestled in the SW part of town, & you will avoid this discomfort.
If anyone is interested in moving there and want my POV (such as it is) feel free to e-mail me at;
[EMAILmod cut]
(I mention that, because I think I forgot to click the proper button on registering!

Last edited by Waterlily; 04-04-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: no emails

Unread 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,149 times
My family and I considered living in La Grande as we like small towns also, we also checked Elgin, Enterprize, John Day and, Baker City. We were in La Grande for a week and it was very windy which we didn't care for. We ended up finding a place in Baker City ,which we like the people here ,and the feel of it. Work is hard to find, we started hunting on the net before we came and were very lucky to get employment. Housing is reasonable and the Public school's are good. Very family oriented which we like too. ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon