U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,299,120 times

Advertisements

well if the moisture in western Oregon leads to mosquitos and mold (which I can handle) what other household bugs are common, especially in older houses? Are termite inspections required? What about cockroaches, beetles, etc? Is an annual exterminator visit required a) along the coast or b) in the Willamette valley? And if there is so much moisture what is "dry rot", a euphemism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,788,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
well if the moisture in western Oregon leads to mosquitos and mold (which I can handle) what other household bugs are common, especially in older houses? Are termite inspections required? What about cockroaches, beetles, etc? Is an annual exterminator visit required a) along the coast or b) in the Willamette valley? And if there is so much moisture what is "dry rot", a euphemism?
I owned an 80 yr old and a 90 year old home in Portland. I did not hear of any of my neighbors having problems with termites nor did we. And I don't think it stays hot enough long enough for cockroaches or japanese beetles. Never saw them. But you do have to be concerned about carpenter ants in old homes. Usually the general home inspector can determine if you need an additional carpenter ant inspection. Also, homeowners have to disclose if the home has been treated for carpenter ants or if any has been seen.

We did have some neighbors who had problems with rats in the walls of their basements. And if an old home you want to have the sewer line scoped to see if there are any breaks.

Dry rot according to wikipedia is
"Dry rot would appear to be an oxymoronic term seemingly indicating decay of a substance without the presence of water. However, its historical usage dates back to the distinction between decay of cured wood in construction, i.e. dry wood, versus decay of wood in living or newly felled trees, i.e. wet wood[1]. The term has been applied to the decay of timber in buildings and other wooden structures by certain fungi, the decay of crop plants by fungi and the deterioration of rubber."

Old 09-16-2007, 06:32 PM

188 posts, read 370,984 times
I had dry rot in a corner facia board when I lived in Palm Springs. It can happen everywhere.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,225,374 times
Having worked in the Pest/Dry Rot business some years back I can tell you some fun stuff. Controlling moisture is key to preventing quite a bit of the troubles you speak of. Humidity or moisture content of wood that exceeds 80% will be prime for infestation of termites, wood boring beetles, carpenter ants and dry rot fungi. If you already have dry rot fungi removing moisture will not stop it. Dry rot needs to be removed and repaired. Dry rot can spread to other places pretty quickly. There are commercial preparations that can prevent most pests from destroying wood in your home. Look into borate based solutions such as boracare and timbor. These chemicals work best when used to treat during framing but can be used to treat wood to prevent infestations after initial construction. I no longer have a permit to perform work in Oregon but, most of the knowledge I can share is still valid.

Squidlo

Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,222,889 times
another fairly common bug here is taterbugs. Ugh.totally harmless (i thnk! we used to play w/them as kids) but it seems like theres a lot. Not many poisionous spiders, (ive never seen one in my whole life) but lots of the little nasties in bushes and all (keep your shrubs/trees by your house trimmed back) Seems like a lot of daddy long legs spiders...but I tend to freak out over any spider, so two seem like several to me.....Ive never seen a cockroach either...
mold can be a problem, we had it in the last house we lived in, but then again, we lived right on the beach, in an old house, built on concrete, w/no airflow and leaky windows. You just have to avoid those things.
As for the rats/mice. We got a cat. No more rodents.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,225,374 times
As far as yearly exterminator visits. I don't see the need in Oregon. A homeowner can handle about anything other than termites. A little diligence goes a long ways. Prevention would be the key. Stop problems before they start. Things like rotting stumps and abandoned firewood piles need to be cleaned up. Spend some time in the spring, summer and fall around the home just looking at the landscape for signs of pests. Ants can be a real pain if you don't catch them right away. A little research can save you big money on pest control.

Squidlo

Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times
People who block up their foundation vents in the winter cause a lot of dry rot and termite problems by trapping moisture under the house. Most houses nowadays have adequate foundation vents. Oregon has had a building code since 1973, and houses built before then have either been repaired or rotted into a pile of rubble.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,299,120 times
By ants, are those carpenter ants, because we had those in Illinois and they are handled similarly to termites. This is not too scary.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM

14,001 posts, read 32,901,717 times
We have the tiny sugar ants out here, and the large carpenter ants. A carpenter ant treatment runs about $250 or so. The bore small holes in your siding and areas where they think they are and put the chemical powder into the hole. You don't have to leave your home for this.

There are different types of termites. Subterranean termite treatment runs around $1000-$1300 or so. They bore into the soil and put the poison in holes around the house.

Carpenter ants are probably our biggest issue out here. They don't eat at the house like termites do, but they make their nest in the wood, so they cause damage that way. I've seen termites 1 time in the past 4 years.

We actually don't have a lot of mosquito's out here, since our moisture is not standing water, like say Minnesota...THEY have mosquitos...since our climate is not particularly humid, they don't breed like they do in the Midwest. We have them, just not in droves.

As for dry rot, it is really common out here. You need to make sure that wet wood has a chance to dry. When wood is in constant contact with water or soil, it's a guarantee you will get some dry rot. Gutter leaks are another common cause in soffit areas.

You remove the wood, replace it, paint or seal. Not a big deal, unless a homeowner has been very negligent.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
look up this guy's posts in the house forum: Caoimhín P. Connell. This post in particular is very interesting regarding older houses vs. newer houses and why they perform differently in the same environment.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ml#post2627592
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or