U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM

54 posts, read 97,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Then fix the reason the people are homeless in the first place. If they're kids, figure out why they ran away from home. If they're mentally ill, get them the treatment they need, if they're poor and lost their job and house, give them a job! If they have a drug or alcohol dependency, get them treatment and help.

Bussing them to the city limits and threatening arrests do not fix the root of the problem, it simply shifts the problem to another location.

See what has happened to Portland as CA cities bussed their homeless up here? See how Portland has reduced the Prostitution problem?
Many of them, I'm told, are from the bay area. It's not Ashland's responsibility to figure out and solve their problems.

I guess the rumor out is that Ashland is homeless friendly. Come here and you will get a shower and cash. The latest news is that the homeless are demanding their right to sleep in public places......they'll probably get it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchuk View Post
this is what happens when bleeding heart silly liberals completely run a town. Common sense takes a permanent holiday. My advice, run for town council and change things from the top. Make loitering breaking the law punishable by a hefty fine and a day or 2 in jail and see how long Ashland lives in fear of these losers who choose homelessness as a parasitic lifestyle. I was there a year ago, walking the beautiful downtown with my wife and was intimidated, threatened actually by a few homeless guys who somehow thought I owed them money. Ashland has a real problem, and again, it isnt the homeless, it's the idiots in charge who make staying there so appealing. Those bums think they hit the jackpot with Ashland....and they have.
I totally agree.

Isn't is funny how liberal towns have tons of homeless and conservative towns don't?

Any one disagree?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM

3,801 posts, read 4,415,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypants View Post
I totally agree.

Isn't is funny how liberal towns have tons of homeless and conservative towns don't?

Any one disagree?
Roseburg is a conservative town, and has tons of homeless. Part of the problem is its location on I-5. Another problem is the VA hospital, which holds an annual "mustering" of homeless vets. They bus them in from all over the PNW, but at the end of the ceremony they just dump them on the community.

I suspect Ashland's problem is more its status as a tourist town than the political leanings of the City Council. Bums find tourists are an affluent easy touch and the women can pick up good money for sex. If you put the food out, you have to expect vermin.

Roseburg passed an ordinance making it illegal to hand money to a beggar from a motor vehicle, which really cut down on the high dollar ($50/hr) panhandling sites. The beggars can still beg, but any motorist who gives them money gets cited.

Local police agencies also periodically raid homeless camps. They round them up and fingerprint them all. A surprising number have outstanding warrants. While the bums are in jail, Public Works takes backhoes and dumpsters to the camps. Since the camps are just outside the city limits, that's mostly up to the county, though the city police help.

This time of year, enforcement doesn't accomplish much, because the weather is too good. Your County Sheriff needs to time the raids to November, when the bums will get the idea that a warmer climate is a good idea.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Status: "Do U follow politics? UMMM, do you mean like Football???" (set 7 days ago)

8,530 posts, read 5,873,098 times
Quote:
In my short 4 years living here, a homeless man burnt down 11 homes, a homeless man recently burnt several businesses downtown (they're still closed), a homeless man assaulted my wife and I when we were just walking past him to go to a Shakespeare play and recently, according to police, a homeless man sexually assaulted a teenage girl.

Last year, a young man was brutally attacked with a sword and nearly decapitated by what the police believe was a transient. The case is still unsolved.

The city proposed letting the homeless take showers in a city facility and proposed setting up donation boxes downtown for the homeless.

Anyone else as fed up as I am?

Haha, you are living in Hippyville and griping about the homeless..........good luck on that one.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM

4,243 posts, read 8,296,375 times
Quote:
I totally agree.

Any one disagree?
In Oregon, most of the liberal towns are in the mild climates (where winter freezes aren't frequent) and most of the conservative towns are on the other side of the Cascades, where freezing to death in winter is likely if you are living without shelter.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM

3,801 posts, read 4,415,039 times
This morning there was an AP article in the newspaper about the Ashland homeless problem.

Homeless man protests Ashland camping law (http://tdn.com/news/state-and-regional/oregon/homeless-man-protests-ashland-camping-law/article_a94c1628-410f-59c4-9383-43a613650d2e.html - broken link)

There seem to be several articles about the problem in the last month. The OP seems a little premature to blame it on the city government.

Homeless Problem Disturbs Ashland Businesses, OSF OPB News

And a TV newscast about it

http://kezi.com/news/local/244350

Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM

9,247 posts, read 6,107,249 times
I have always found the Ashland layabouts to be offensive. There is a lot of money in Ashland. The nonprofits call it "Cashland" when they do their fund drives.

The bleeding hearts who want to build a homeless camp have some challenges now. A person essentially beheaded a guy walking home on a public bike path in November. Two women were raped this month in the area, one on the bike path. And the arson event downtown a couple months and the fire a couple years back that burned down the home.

If you welcome these losers into your town, there will be consequences. Some annoyances. Some very serious.

Time to smell the coffee liberalistas.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I have always found the Ashland layabouts to be offensive. There is a lot of money in Ashland. The nonprofits call it "Cashland" when they do their fund drives.

The bleeding hearts who want to build a homeless camp have some challenges now. A person essentially beheaded a guy walking home on a public bike path in November. Two women were raped this month in the area, one on the bike path. And the arson event downtown a couple months and the fire a couple years back that burned down the home.

If you welcome these losers into your town, there will be consequences. Some annoyances. Some very serious.

Time to smell the coffee liberalistas.
Fiddlehead.....we think alike.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 4,597,507 times
Liberals do not want their sons beheaded or their daughters raped either. Get a grip. You cannot drive homeless people to your city limits by force. That only puts you in contention with your neighbor cities. It takes a long time to become as crazy as the people we are talking about. America is schizophrenia personified. The miracle is that any of us make it to adulthood with all our marbles. I've been to Ashland a time or two. I've never seen a law enforcement official in Ashland. Ever. Guaranteed. If Ashland (or Portland) ever decided to really pump some money into public safety and triple the size of the present police force they would simply use them as a revenue machine and they would spend all their time making arrests for nuisance crimes and traffic violations and they would still fail to have much impact on public safety. It's pointless getting mad at the homeless. It's pointless getting mad at the politicians. Its really pointless getting mad at anyone now. Just keep your eyes open and stay safe by dint of your own wits.

H

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Liberals do not want their sons beheaded or their daughters raped either. Get a grip. You cannot drive homeless people to your city limits by force. That only puts you in contention with your neighbor cities. It takes a long time to become as crazy as the people we are talking about. America is schizophrenia personified. The miracle is that any of us make it to adulthood with all our marbles. I've been to Ashland a time or two. I've never seen a law enforcement official in Ashland. Ever. Guaranteed. If Ashland (or Portland) ever decided to really pump some money into public safety and triple the size of the present police force they would simply use them as a revenue machine and they would spend all their time making arrests for nuisance crimes and traffic violations and they would still fail to have much impact on public safety. It's pointless getting mad at the homeless. It's pointless getting mad at the politicians. Its really pointless getting mad at anyone now. Just keep your eyes open and stay safe by dint of your own wits.

H
Of coarse Liberals don't want their kids killed or raped, but they are willing to accept it. And yes, you CAN drive the homeless criminals to the city limits. Moderator cut: snip Ashland has plenty of Officers driving all over the city. I see them EVERY day, I live here.

It's NOT pointless getting mad. Every citizen of Ashland should be getting mad at the homeless problem. Moderator cut: snip All bad, no good.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: crude, vulgar, and inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon